5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by hailrazer
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

099613FA-9331-4D9C-9EAF-49CD4D4E2FE4 (resized).jpeg
    #1 5 years ago

So this is the state of my backglass after lightly dry wiping with a non abrasive cloth. Should I attempt any additional cleaning before sealing? I want as good as I can get, but I don’t want to risk more flaking.

099613FA-9331-4D9C-9EAF-49CD4D4E2FE4 (resized).jpeg099613FA-9331-4D9C-9EAF-49CD4D4E2FE4 (resized).jpeg
    #2 5 years ago

As long as there is no ‘grease’ on the back I would leave it alone. If any grease the clear won’t stick to that area. I have carefully cleaned BG’s with a lightly dampened paper towel using Windex. Proceed w/caution if trying.

#3 5 years ago

I've usually regretted cleaning attempts on a flaking backglass. They are just simply too fragile in that state.

If an area really needs attention, a damp q-tip will offer a bit more control than a cloth.

It's usually better just to leave it alone and seal it as-is. Unless it's really bad, the grime doesn't really show through on the front. Your glass looks fine, for the most part.

#4 5 years ago

100% agree with previous two posts - leave it as is (and it looks pretty good as-is btw - your flaking is minor). Not worth even the minor damage you can do wiping it down. You will kick yourself 1 second after you see even 1 flake come off.

For cleaning it, less is more approach.

Ps - if you are taping over the score and credit windows before sealing, make sure that tape doesn't touch the edge of the ink as it will want to take it with when you go to remove the tape after sealing. Ideally, you want a tiny bit of clear to enter the score window edge to seal the ink around it.

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from spinout:

Ps - if you are taping over the score and credit windows before sealing, make sure that tape doesn't touch the edge of the ink as it will want to take it with when you go to remove the tape after sealing. Ideally, you want a tiny bit of clear to enter the score window edge to seal the ink around it.

On solid state games, I haven't bothered with masking the windows. Just put down thick coats on the windows, and they turn clear. Any issues, and I just take some novus 2 or 3 to it.

I'm not sure how that would look on the white reels of an EM, though. The triple thick doesn't always come out perfectly level, which doesn't matter a whole lot for lit displays that mostly have dark areas.

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I'm not sure how that would look on the white reels of an EM, though. The triple thick doesn't always come out perfectly level, which doesn't matter a whole lot for lit displays that mostly have dark areas.

I have usually just sprayed the TT over the openings for the score reels. It is only really noticeable that the TT is there if you look very closely at it. When standing in front of the game one would have a very hard time seeing the TT layer. This also locks on the white colour around the openings.

#7 5 years ago

Thanks for the advice! I didn’t want to risk damage taping it down, so I cut up business cards and rested coins on them to hold. Hopefully this approach does well.

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from EddieF:

Thanks for the advice! I didn’t want to risk damage taping it down, so I cut up business cards and rested coins on them to hold. Hopefully this approach does well.

Business cards might not be thick enough or heavy enough. You may get some seepage under the cards.

Personally, I stopped doing the masking approach because it took longer to prep, you could see the edges of the triple thick in the score window, and it sometimes left ink exposed to possibly flake away later.

#9 5 years ago

I just cut out a few blocks of wood and set them down on the windows. Never had a problem.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-backglass-before-sealing and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.