Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,210 posts
  • 439 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 days ago by Jagrmaister
  • Topic is favorited by 1,181 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240415_125716 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot 2024-04-15 at 18-48-23 CPID (resized).png
    20240415_183026 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20240117_214834127 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20240117_214852179 (resized).jpg
    20231203_011654.jpg
    IMG_3745 (resized).jpeg
    6000200939221-1075093065 (resized).jpeg
    Pinside_forum_2734058_571027 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2525 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20230831_002608.jpg
    IMG_2698 (resized).jpeg
    6000200939221-1075093065 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_1833 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1834 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #51 A list of pretenders. Posted by vid1900 (8 years ago)

Post #77 Wax Recommendation Posted by vid1900 (8 years ago)

Post #1237 Playfield protectors Posted by vid1900 (6 years ago)

Post #1954 Opening a jar of blitz Posted by vid1900 (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider who-dey.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1503 5 years ago
    Quoted from joseph5185:

Sounds good. I think I largely got as much out of this thread as I'm going to. The Wizards Mist-N-Shine seems excellent and pinballinreno seems to really like it as well. The ongoing debate whether to wax or not became interesting when mrgregb123 got involved and pretty much said he didn't see a purpose.
    I'm still trying to get caught up on some of the terminology going on around here, the trough, the apron, ball scoop, etc haha ,, but I'm sure it will come in time.
    So I guess the BIGGEST question is do I wax this thing as soon as I get it and according to vid1900 ... yea I "should".. whew.
    Saw something about the CGCs, JJPs, clearcoat chipping "easily". That's umm...VERY concerning. I hope like hell that does not happen.
    vid1900 might actually be against using Mist-N-shine as I believe it contains wax and that would technically classify it as a "spray or liquid? IDK and honestly I was a little surprised that Simple Green is NOT okay for the playfield? I know for a fact that thepinballcompany.com vendor uses a dilluted solution of Simple Green for their playfields.
    Anyhoo, I'll try to get some sleep for now and look forward to some excellent responses in the morning.

You do not have to wax your playfield before you play your new game, ive never done that. I clean and wax my games probably every 300 games i guess. I wouldn't use anything other than Novus 1 to clean your playfield with and dont spray it directly onto the playfield either. Spray it on a micro fiber rag and wipe down the playfield and the plastics etc..

I use Novus 2 when i get ball trails down the inlanes and the outlanes. Novus 2 usually does a good job at cleaning those up. Novus 2 is not going to destroy your playfield either so no worries there. Ive used it on my entire playfield before and it was fine, but like i said just use Novus 1 to clean the playfield and Novus 2 for stubborn ball trails.

Also don't drive yourself nuts worrying about the playfield clearcoat chipping. Its very unlikely that will happen. Just play your game and enjoy it, thats what these things are for and they are durable and hold up well. Vid has forgot more than i will ever know so definitely listen to him instead of me but im sure he will agree with what im telling you probably.

Here is a pretty good video for noobs.

Congrats on your new game, enjoy!

#1505 5 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

Hi there. Congrats on your upcoming purchase!
    I’m relatively new to this hobby — about 4 plus years in — so understand your nervousness and confusion. I was the same way. I now own two older machine and two games I bought new. I bought a third pin new but recently sold it. So, let me reassure you.
    First, just take a deep breath and remember that even if you play a lot of games at home — and you will play a lot at first — it will be no where near the level that a pin gets played on location. You are very unlikely to see any wear to your machine even if you don’t wax for months. Does that mean you shouldn’t wax? No. It just means that when you get your game, just play it and enjoy and then wax when you can. Use blitz or P21S. Both are excellent. You need only apply a tiny amount. It should be barely visible when you apply it. Just enough to create a slight haze when it dries. Then buff off. Just get the easy to reach areas. No need to do a full tear down for a long time.
    Wax every 3-6 months. In between waxings, vacuum up dust. If needed, use Novus 1, not 2. Change your balls every 3-6 months as well. It is a cheap thing to do and can potentially create issues if you don’t.
    And just enjoy. All three of my NIB games looked like new years after I bought them. Is it beacause I waxed? Maybe. It is more because I played them In the home and only put on 1,000-2,000 games instead of 10,000 like they would get on location. NIB games including yours come with a protective layer of clear coat. It is not a wax, so you should still wax. But it does protect the paint. And you can relax. You’ll figure it out and not do any harm to your pin.
    Enjoy!

Very good info, but it is ok to use Novus 2 if the game gets really dirty or when you get ball trails. It wont hurt a thing. No way is it so abrasive that its going to damage the clearcoat.

#1507 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pinzap:

If you’re buying a remake from CGC as your first and only game, throw your Novus 2 away. You will have misplaced it or lost it anyway by the time you ever need it on a NIB game.

I dont know, stubborn ball trails can happen pretty quickly.

#1525 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

Dont be too obsessed with ball cleaning, anything will do.
    The balls that came with my houdini were actually very clean, I just wiped them off with a rag.
    You just havent seen replacement balls that come with heavy honey-like grease on them to protect them from rust.
    You might see this later when you get new balls from marcospec.

I always just wipe mine off real good because they usually seem to be pretty clean when i get them. Maybe i should start using alcohol or something to clean them?

5 months later
    #1676 4 years ago

I never use novus1 other than maybe on plastics.

How come you don't use Novus 1 to clean the playfield?

#1680 4 years ago

Novus 2 is used to abrasively grind down the clearcoat to remove scratches and deep ball tracks that cleaning wont remove.
    Excessive use of novus 2, will ultimately wear through the clear and rub off the artwork.
    Novus 2 removes the sheen of the clearcoat. You have to buff with mirror-glaze to get it back if you did a large area. Then re-wax.
    So I say, use it sparingly.

Hmm....im definitely not going to dispute you because i really dont know whats right or what is wrong but everyone i know uses Novus 1 to clean their playfields and they occasionally use Novus 2, especially on ball trails and these people that im talking about really know their stuff when it comes to pinball. I cant imagine Novus 2 being abrasive enough to do any damage to the clear coat on these games.

#1682 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

It is what it is...they'll always be the pro vs anti novus 2 opinions.

What is your opinion Law? We all know that you know everything so please tell us what we should do?

4 months later
    #1804 4 years ago

Dont bother with novus 1 or novus 3.
    Use mist n shine and novus2.
    Use novus 2 for heavy ball tracks that wint wipe off, followed with pure carnauba like blitz 1000 or P21S silver.
    Other than that, VM&P Naptha to clean mechanical parts and badly soiled playfied targets and such.
    Always re-wax the playfield in areas that naptha was used as a cleaner. It readily removes wax.
    Oddly naptha wont harm anything on the playfield.

It's weird, everyone I know uses Novus 1 to clean their playfield and these guys all know their shit. That's all I've ever used because I learned from them and my games are super clean. I'm not trying to argue because I'm certainly not an expert on the subject but Novus 1 seems to do a fantastic job for me.

2 months later
    #1820 4 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Very game by game basis. 300 plays on one game looks like 2000 on another.

Very true ^^^

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider who-dey.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-and-waxing-pinball-machines-vids-guide?tu=who-dey and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.