Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,210 posts
  • 439 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by Jagrmaister
  • Topic is favorited by 1,180 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240415_125716 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot 2024-04-15 at 18-48-23 CPID (resized).png
    20240415_183026 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20240117_214834127 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20240117_214852179 (resized).jpg
    20231203_011654.jpg
    IMG_3745 (resized).jpeg
    6000200939221-1075093065 (resized).jpeg
    Pinside_forum_2734058_571027 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2525 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20230831_002608.jpg
    IMG_2698 (resized).jpeg
    6000200939221-1075093065 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_1833 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1834 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #51 A list of pretenders. Posted by vid1900 (8 years ago)

Post #77 Wax Recommendation Posted by vid1900 (8 years ago)

Post #1237 Playfield protectors Posted by vid1900 (6 years ago)

Post #1954 Opening a jar of blitz Posted by vid1900 (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider smack.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1880 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

resurrecting this thread...
    Located in Canada and can't find naphtha here... Would ZIPPO lighter fluid be a good replacement?

It sounds like ZIPPO/Ronsonol lighter fluid is not naphtha anymore. Can you find CP-100 anywhere? It seems like that is about 95% Naphtha.

While I am here what is the consensus on waxing modern Sterns? I have heard from some that you just need to clean the playfield but not wax but it also seems like some people certainly wax as well. My machine is about to turn 1 and has about 2500 plays on it. Should I start considering waxing or just continue keeping it real clean?

#1882 3 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

Definitely wax. Every 500 games or so.

I'm overdue! Thanks for the advice.

#1884 3 years ago
    Quoted from homegameroom:

Don’t forget to replace the pinballs as well. They get little micro scratches and can damage the playfield as well.
    I live in a humid climate, so I replace mine twice a year. You should be able to see a difference in the new balls versus the old ones.

Heck yeah. I just replaced what I assume were the stock balls with some Ballbarron Ninjas and it has done a lot to reduce the dirt. The blue nub ball guide protectors and post protectors used to get dirty super fast, but since I replaced the balls and wiped down every rubber it has been night and day.

Perhaps that was more a function of dirty rubber but the old balls were getting pitted anyways.

#1891 3 years ago
    Quoted from DakotaMike:

I disagree. I think wiping down the playfield, and replacing the pinballs regularly, is all that's needed on these newer Sterns. I suspect that most wear on modern playfields comes from rough and scratched balls. And from my experience, there are major downsides to waxing modern games.
    My old 1980 Black Knight was great with wax, played fast, but not too fast. But my new Sterns are awful after waxing. Even some of my B/W games like Johnny Mnenomic or Mousin' Around are scary fast with wax. I've literally chipped plastics on those games after waxing, to the point where I had to clean the wax off. I left it on some high-wear areas like shooter-lane exits and top rollovers, but that's it. The ball was out-of-control fast, and was breaking plastics and chipping standup targets.
    Right now, I'm operating under the precept that the pf clear coats on newer Sterns are robust enough that it's not worth the downsides of waxing. As long as I clean the pf regularly with say Naptha, and make sure the balls are in good shape, then that should be sufficient. I think that older, slower playing, non-clear coated games, can use the protection and speed boost of wax, but not new stuff. Also, I question how long the wax barrier can hold up to a fast-rolling pinball on a games like Stranger Things or Dead Pool, especially once multiball kicks in. My suspicion is that owners inspecting and replacing the pinballs, and cleaning their playfields, which owners do during the waxing process, is actually what's protecting their games long term. Not the actual wax itself.
    And like I've said all ready, my problem with the carnuba wax is that the games play way too fast to the point of being out-of-control and to the point of breaking plastics. Not worth it to me on modern games. But to each their own.

I am a relatively new owner so I appreciate hearing about your experience with wax, especially on new Sterns. Thank you for such a detailed response.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider smack.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-and-waxing-pinball-machines-vids-guide?tu=smack and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.