Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,210 posts
  • 439 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 days ago by Jagrmaister
  • Topic is favorited by 1,181 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240415_125716 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot 2024-04-15 at 18-48-23 CPID (resized).png
    20240415_183026 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20240117_214834127 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20240117_214852179 (resized).jpg
    20231203_011654.jpg
    IMG_3745 (resized).jpeg
    6000200939221-1075093065 (resized).jpeg
    Pinside_forum_2734058_571027 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2525 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20230831_002608.jpg
    IMG_2698 (resized).jpeg
    6000200939221-1075093065 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_1833 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1834 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #51 A list of pretenders. Posted by vid1900 (8 years ago)

Post #77 Wax Recommendation Posted by vid1900 (8 years ago)

Post #1237 Playfield protectors Posted by vid1900 (6 years ago)

Post #1954 Opening a jar of blitz Posted by vid1900 (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider murphdom.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1812 4 years ago

So I picked up a machine from the 1960’s that was absolutely filthy and it literally had caked on dirt. I used the old naphtha method and it did absolutely nothing in terms of cleaning. It has done wonders for me in the past. For the first time I used simple green on a barely damp microfiber cloth and I have to say it worked amazing. I know that there is a huge debate whether or not to use water based cleaners on playfields but if you wipe it off immediately it should be fine. Vid actually contradicts himself in his guide at one point and says to never use water based cleaners and then about ten pages later he actually mentions the use of simple green to remove dirt rather than grind it in using Novus. I’m converted.

2 months later
    #1833 4 years ago
    Quoted from WizardsCastle:

What's better to use for ball trails and general of cleaning? Naptha or Novus 2?
    Also, where is the safest place to store naptha? I have a big-ass 4L container from the paint store. Have it sitting in my basement, but not sure that's the best spot.

Are you asking about ball trails in older unshopped machines that have been sitting a while? It’s highly unlikely that there is any wax on them. I just cleaned a 60’s EM playfield that was VERY dirty and had a pretty heavy ball trail. Naphtha and Novus did nothing for it however I gently used Mean Green and quickly wiped it away and it came right off. It seems to get off the really stubborn dirt. I know it’s water based but if you use very small amounts and wipe it away quickly it shouldn’t be an issue. Another pinsider suggested using DL mechanics hand cream which I haven’t tried yet

#1838 4 years ago
    Quoted from LeChuck:

Do you happen to have any before/after pics of this? I spent awhile cleaning the playfield on my Space Mission EM with naphtha, but there were a handful of sections that wouldn't clean up.

I’ll take some pictures when I get a chance to get down to my workspace and get some decent lighting setup for pictures.

#1841 4 years ago
    Quoted from WizardsCastle:

I used naptha for the first time on my Metallica and it was amazing how much cleaner it looked after.
    Last question... Where is it safest to store naptha? I have a huge container from the paint shop.

You’re are asking the person here. I store it in my basement alongside several other volatile chemicals and paints. If my house goes up in flames that area of the house is going to be toasted.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider murphdom.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-and-waxing-pinball-machines-vids-guide?tu=murphdom and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.