Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,210 posts
  • 439 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 days ago by Jagrmaister
  • Topic is favorited by 1,181 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240415_125716 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot 2024-04-15 at 18-48-23 CPID (resized).png
    20240415_183026 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20240117_214834127 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20240117_214852179 (resized).jpg
    20231203_011654.jpg
    IMG_3745 (resized).jpeg
    6000200939221-1075093065 (resized).jpeg
    Pinside_forum_2734058_571027 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2525 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20230831_002608.jpg
    IMG_2698 (resized).jpeg
    6000200939221-1075093065 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_1833 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1834 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #51 A list of pretenders. Posted by vid1900 (8 years ago)

Post #77 Wax Recommendation Posted by vid1900 (8 years ago)

Post #1237 Playfield protectors Posted by vid1900 (6 years ago)

Post #1954 Opening a jar of blitz Posted by vid1900 (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mrgregb123.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1289 6 years ago

Vid - I used to wax with Blitz and found it really only lasts for 10-20 games. Then the surface is back to normal (i.e. the ball isn't flying around at 400mph and gliding a finger on it feels like it's not waxed). Is waxing really necessary? I'm asking you specifically because you're a minimalist when it comes to cleaning (vacuum + naphta) so needing to wax seems unusual.

Also, maybe this is a better ? for the playfield restoration thread, but wtf is up with the clear coats on JJP and CGC games? It's super thick, super shiny, but chips like a can of Pringles. Meanwhile Sterns don't chip and seem to only exhibit the same issues WMS playfields did (i.e. insert clear coat lifting). As the expert, what are CGC and JJP (Mirco) doing wrong? I put PPG on my restored PFs and they don't chip for nothing so it can't be that all the no-chip formulas are banned for environmental reasons. What's your take?

#1301 6 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Replace your balls, it should be lasting way longer than that.

You would much rather have your wax wearing off than your clearcoat wearing away.....

I'm using Ball Baron Ninja balls...finest balls you can buy. Same situation, every game. The wax provides no benefit to me. Makes the ball way too fast and only seems to protect for a handful of games before it wears off. Another reason is:

Quoted from vid1900:

It's not like anyone is wearing out clearcoated playfields, even when installed in commercial environments, lol.

1 week later
    #1332 6 years ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

anyone have any tips for cleaning orbits without taking ramps and such off? There doesn't seem to be too much discussion of that. What tools do you use?

Couple options - for areas that need some elbow grease, a relatively thin microfiber cloth w/naptha + a long PLASTIC (nothing than can scratch) wand or other long pointy tool that you can push up and down along the hard to reach areas like orbits.

For areas that don't require elbow grease and/or applying wax, a foam brush (pictured) works great. Awesome for inlanes/outlanes too so you don't get wax/cleaner everywhere.

For just vacuuming, that awesome mini vac attachment set on Amazon can't be beat and can reach practically anywhere in most games.

jen-paint-brushes-4251-64_300 (resized).jpgjen-paint-brushes-4251-64_300 (resized).jpg

#1334 6 years ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

Do you do this for waxing also? Or do you do a partial tear down?

Vid will hate this but I do not wax my machines. I keep them clean religiously with vacuuming and naphta but because naphta removes wax, it would be a huge burden to have to keep waxing them. Plus waxing makes the ball travel way too fast.

#1342 6 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

FACT: Steve Ritchie tells you to wax your playfields so they play how he designed them to play.

You're saying Steve Ritchie designed his games for environments (i.e. route operation with nicely waxed pfs) that would never actually exist? Not sure that's entirely true:

Quoted from vid1900:

Wax it with a good carnauba car wax. It must be done carefully. Don't get the wax down in holes or on parts you don't want to wax. It works very well and will help keep your playfield nice. Take care and enjoy! Steve

Looks like he recommended it to keep the playfield nice, and nothing more. God, I hope no designer actually designs a game expecting the pf to be waxed.

#1345 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

One can only design around new games and ones that are waxed and play like new.

Not going to go on and on with this so I'm cutting out after this but "like new" and "waxed" are not the same thing. "Dirty or worn out" is not the opposite of "not waxed". Every machine in my collection has a PF that is "like new" but none of them are waxed. I've purchased NIB games from JJP, CGC, and Stern. None of them arrived with waxed playfields. Look, you want to wax your PF in a home environment where it's totally unnecessary, have at it. But to imply that designers craft the game with this is mind is ludicrous.

#1349 6 years ago

Totally agree with you my man! No arguments there. Clean machines get played. But I think this conversation revolved around waxing for home use, which having done it in the past, I realized was unnecessary. If you're putting your machine up at TPF or Pintastic, hell yeah you should wax it - armor the crap out of it. But for home use, ESPECIALLY on machines with a nice thick clear coat, I found the ball speed makes it an overall negative. My TAF clearcoated with PPG is so friggin' fast w/o wax it would be nearly unplayable with a coat on. But you've mentioned scenarios where this makes sense - older games especially. No qualms there.

Quoted from jsa:

What would be a simple test to determine there is enough wax on the surface, or if the wax should be replaced entirely?

That's the other problem I had with waxing. Wax with Blitz exactly as Vid has instructed. Run your finger. Smooth as butter. After 10-20 games the playfield feels like it did before you waxed. Your results may vary.

#1354 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

If you are just a collector then
    keep then dusted off and just enjoy looking at them.

Its all good.

Wait....let's first address the main issue here....are you playing Woz on 5-ball?

I'm a collector...but I play my games constantly....but I clean them constantly, and change the balls constantly. If you're not engaging in activity that will wear the clear coat any significant amount - i.e. allowing dirt to build and balls to scratch, I think you'll be OK w/o wax. But everyone is different. I got a Tesla Model 3 and I'm reading all this stuff about people wrapping their whole car with protective film. Seems a bit overkill. But kudos to them....and all the home playfield waxers.

#1364 6 years ago

It's pretty simple....

You can get away with just vacuuming if you do it at the first sign of dust/dirt.

If you waited too long and the dust is adhered to the playfield, you'll need naphta.

If you waited even longer and the dust is dug into the clear coat, you'll need Novus 2.

I don't believe Novus 1 serves any real purpose.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mrgregb123.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-and-waxing-pinball-machines-vids-guide?tu=mrgregb123 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.