Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,210 posts
  • 439 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 days ago by Jagrmaister
  • Topic is favorited by 1,181 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240415_125716 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot 2024-04-15 at 18-48-23 CPID (resized).png
    20240415_183026 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20240117_214834127 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20240117_214852179 (resized).jpg
    20231203_011654.jpg
    IMG_3745 (resized).jpeg
    6000200939221-1075093065 (resized).jpeg
    Pinside_forum_2734058_571027 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2525 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20230831_002608.jpg
    IMG_2698 (resized).jpeg
    6000200939221-1075093065 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_1833 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1834 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #51 A list of pretenders. Posted by vid1900 (8 years ago)

Post #77 Wax Recommendation Posted by vid1900 (8 years ago)

Post #1237 Playfield protectors Posted by vid1900 (6 years ago)

Post #1954 Opening a jar of blitz Posted by vid1900 (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbaumle.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#659 7 years ago

I think the thing that has scared me away from Naphtha for so long is that it's primary use is to thin varnish and enamels, and other paints. Don't pinball machine have their playfields coated in varnish/enamel? I know it's technically lacquer (and then a polyurethane), but doesn't lacquer fall into the "varnish and enamel" category? What about the playfield inks. Are they oil based? I've always kinda felt that naphtha would either soften those inks/dyes/lacquers/clearcoats, or thin out or remove the paint in areas without a protective finish. I'm assuming that's not the case though; it's just strange that naphtha works so well for pinball playfields. Seems like an unlikely combination.

#661 7 years ago

Really excellent stuff here, Vid. Your knowledge and willingness to lend it to others is invaluable. Thanks!

#684 7 years ago

Don't laugh everyone, but I went out and bought both a can of "Mothers California Gold Pure Carnauba Wax" and a can of "One Grand Blitz Wax" because life is too short not to compare waxes side by side. They're both advertised as being high quality non-abrasive waxes.

Anyway, I just got them in the mail this afternoon, and upon first inspection, they look identical. I haven't been able to try them both out yet, but I can tell you this: The Mothers wax smells like they've added all sorts of chemicals. It has a sharp, sweet smell, with a tinge of what smells like a petroleum product. It's also easy to crumble and dryer than the Blitz.

On the other hand, the Blitz wax smells simple. Like a dull sweet candle with little/no fragrance added. It's earthy. It actually smells like a wax. It's also a little more pliable it looks like. Based on the smell and looks, it looks like Blitz wax is definitely "purer," and it'll probably be the one I end up using.

I'll report back with results comparing the 2 in a game, if I remember.

wax_(resized).jpgwax_(resized).jpg

#687 7 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Interested to hear your thoughts

Yea, if I can remember, I'll do a in-game comparison. Honestly, I can't see the Mothers being any better or worse than the Blitz--unless the actual concentration of wax is significantly different.

Whatever I don't end up using, I'll probably just pawn off on my friend who's just getting into pinball. He's gonna need a "start up kit" pretty soon.

2 months later
    #873 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

My great granddad, vid1700

What a family name you got there, vid!

2 weeks later
    #895 7 years ago
    Quoted from BorgDog:

How to clean this deep dirt.

I know it isn't particularly recommended by Vid, but by the looks of that dirt, you'll probably have good luck using Novus 2 and a rag on that type of dirt. It's abrasive, but it won't strip off the lacquer finish like ME+alcohol would.

#898 7 years ago
    Quoted from BorgDog:

I actually did try a bit of Novus 2 under the apron and it did seem to work fairly well.
    Would ME+naptha be another alternative just to get a little abrasive and get more of the dirt out? Not sure which is more abrasive the Novus or the ME.

ME is going to be more abrasive by a fairly large margin. ME+(solvent of choice) is basically wet sanding with a very fine sandpaper.

Novus 2 (which, admittedly, is what I've been using for years on all my playfields before I learned naphtha is far gentler), is going to be far less abrasive. It's more of a polisher. You'll be able to buff out certain areas of your playfield to a pretty high shine with the stuff, and it won't completely strip away the finish, like Vid mentions in earlier posts, it'll just thin it out. It's good for a "once over" but you don't want to make it your go-to every time you need to clean the playfield between waxes.

If I were in your shoes, I'd go with Novus 2 first, followed with a good hearty wax. It'll get the grime out and buff up nicely, but it won't get those ball swirls out, and it won't detrimentally strip away anything from your playfield like ME would. Just be careful around the planking areas. If you absolutely cannot live with ball swirls, then I'd carefully tread into the ME foam domain.

#915 7 years ago

Vid (or anyone), I've got a sorta strange question to ask--and I apologize in advance if it seems like a derail question.

So, I've recently gotten back into backpacking and camping recently, and I've slowly been upgrading my gear. I bought a nice Coleman lantern (that runs on Coleman liquid fuel, or "white gas"), and I got a nice backpack stove that runs on the same stuff. The question is, is Naphtha the same as "White Gas?" Ie, do you think I could burn Naphtha in my camping gear without ill effects?

I ask here because I'd like to buy the stuff in a nice big gallon jug at a cheaper rate, and use it both for regular pinball cleaning AND Camping equipment--It'd be one less jug of dangerously flammable liquid I'd have to worry about. The internet is mysteriously vague on the topic.

2 years later
    #1714 4 years ago

For the record, you can always check the MSDS of each particular product to see exactly what is in it. "Ingredient Names" on the MSDS are ambiguous at best, so it's best to look up the "CAS Number" instead. Each chemical component is given a unique identifying number that can be used to cross reference other MSDS sheets, or to look up what exactly what the number corresponds to in a database.

I did some digging. Generally "VM&P" Naphtha from a hardware store or painting store is the "gold standard." It's what you'd want to use on your playfields. Looking up the MSDS for this particular product from Klean Strip shows the ingredient "Hydrotreated light naphtha" at a concentration of 95.0% to 100.0% (CAS Number: 64742-49-0).

Looking at Coleman Camp Fuel (White Gas), the MSDS states the ingredient as "Light Hydrotreated Distillate" at a concentration of 100%. This is technically naphtha, but not the same kind, as it has the CAS Number: 68410-97-9

Looking at Ronsonol Lighter Fluid, the MSDS States the main ingredient as "Aliphatic hydrocarbon,Hydrocarbons, C7-C9, n-alkanes, isoalkanes, cyclics" at a concentration of 100%, which is cryptic at best, HOWEVER, the CAS Number is 64742-49-0, which means that the product is chemically identical to Klean Strip's VM&P Naphtha.

Interestingly, Zippo's lighter fluid is actually a mixture of 70% "Light Hydrotreated Distillate" (CAS Number: 68410-97-9) AND 30% "Hydrotreated Light Naphtha" (CAS Number is 64742-49-0), which means it's a 70/30 mix of Coleman Camp Fuel and VM&P Naphtha.

Too lazy and didn't read all the nonsense above? In short, not all Naphthas are created equal. Kleen Strip VM&P Naphtha and Ronsonol Lighter Fluid are functionally and chemically identical in every way. So get whichever is available in your respective country/state. Coleman camp fuel, while technically naphtha, is not the same as the aforementioned products. It might be close enough to work, but it's chemically different. And Zippo lighter fluid is a mix of both coleman fuel and ronsonol fuel. Use at your own risk.

----

Links for further reading:

https://chem.nlm.nih.gov/chemidplus/rn/64742-49-0
    https://chem.nlm.nih.gov/chemidplus/rn/68410-97-9
    http://ferris.msdssoftware.com/ImageDir/i011DA2E.pdf
    http://doryventures.scene7.com/is/content/DoryVentures/Ronson/Website/Servicing/2018MSDSRonsonol.pdf
    http://www.kleanstrip.com/uploads/documents/KS_VMP_Naphtha_MSDS.pdf
    https://www.vercounty.org/MSDS/EMA/Zippo%20Lighter%20Fluid-USA.pdf

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbaumle.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-and-waxing-pinball-machines-vids-guide?tu=mbaumle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.