Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,210 posts
  • 439 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by Jagrmaister
  • Topic is favorited by 1,180 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240415_125716 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot 2024-04-15 at 18-48-23 CPID (resized).png
    20240415_183026 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20240117_214834127 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20240117_214852179 (resized).jpg
    20231203_011654.jpg
    IMG_3745 (resized).jpeg
    6000200939221-1075093065 (resized).jpeg
    Pinside_forum_2734058_571027 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2525 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20230831_002608.jpg
    IMG_2698 (resized).jpeg
    6000200939221-1075093065 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_1833 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1834 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #51 A list of pretenders. Posted by vid1900 (8 years ago)

Post #77 Wax Recommendation Posted by vid1900 (8 years ago)

Post #1237 Playfield protectors Posted by vid1900 (6 years ago)

Post #1954 Opening a jar of blitz Posted by vid1900 (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dtown.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#318 8 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Or potassium benzoate. (That's bad.)

Simpsons reference! I get it!

#319 8 years ago

I've used SC Johnson Paste Wax on polished metal with horrible results. Sure, it's on there protecting or whatever, but I can't get out the haziness it causes. I can rub and rub but the metal won't shine up. Is the Miniwax brand better?

On another note, Vid, how would you remove these things. 1958 Gottlieb Sunshine. Five pop bumpers have a mylar type protector around them. I'm thinking 91% alcohol or Goo Gone (not Goo Off!) for soaking and using a plastic scraper. Least abrasive that I can think of.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#359 8 years ago
    Quoted from Sheprd:

According to SC Johnsons, they do not use soft beeswax or silicon. Naptha and Carnauba are the top ingredients used.
    http://www.whatsinsidescjohnson.com/us/en/brands/sc-johnson/sc-johnson-paste-wax
    There is so much hype about waxes, that bad information gets spread and people can really get confused. I agree with your advice on how to treat the metal, but the bees wax / silicone comment conflicts with the manufacturers' published disclosures.
    Thanks for the posts as always... great discussions.

I can just state what happened from personal experience.

Subject: 30+ year old 31" metal legs used on a Gottlieb game

Initial condition: Moderate surface rust, especially on the inside.

Cleaning: First washed off with a hose to get excess off then given an overnight bath in Evaporust inside a sealed PVC tube

Post bath: Gently wiped with some green scotch brite to remove the excess as best as possible.

Polish: Mother's Metal Polish brought up a very nice shine and I was happy with the results after buffing with a clean cloth.

Protection: Have been told to apply wax as a protectorate for the polished metal. I have carnauba products but wanted to use the SC Johnson paste wax I had on hand.

Results: It didn't harm anything but some ingredient in it prevented it from really shining. I buffed and I buffed but I could not remove the haze until I stripped the wax back off.

Lesson for me: I got a can of SC Johnson's Paste Wax (great Frank Lloyd Wright design on that building and the house BTW) that I don't know what to do with. Good on hardwood floors? Got plenty of them in my house.

As always, this is Vid's thread. Feel free to comment or add corrections. Yea, I know we're talking about playfield's soooo, hey, maybe Vid can start a guide to metal stripping and polishing as well.

#370 8 years ago
    Quoted from the96stang:

Vid, I think its important to show how much wax is needed for a play field. It took me forever to figure out the right amount.

This much?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dtown.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-and-waxing-pinball-machines-vids-guide?tu=dtown and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.