Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,210 posts
  • 439 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 days ago by Jagrmaister
  • Topic is favorited by 1,181 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240415_125716 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot 2024-04-15 at 18-48-23 CPID (resized).png
    20240415_183026 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20240117_214834127 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20240117_214852179 (resized).jpg
    20231203_011654.jpg
    IMG_3745 (resized).jpeg
    6000200939221-1075093065 (resized).jpeg
    Pinside_forum_2734058_571027 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2525 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20230831_002608.jpg
    IMG_2698 (resized).jpeg
    6000200939221-1075093065 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_1833 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1834 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #51 A list of pretenders. Posted by vid1900 (8 years ago)

Post #77 Wax Recommendation Posted by vid1900 (8 years ago)

Post #1237 Playfield protectors Posted by vid1900 (6 years ago)

Post #1954 Opening a jar of blitz Posted by vid1900 (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider damien.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1318 6 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

For pinball, I think everyone uses "light Naphtha" AKA/ Varnish Makers and Painter's Naphtha (VM&P Naphtha).
    Some other varieties are Zippo lighter fluid, and "white gas" camping fuel.

Been combing through this incredibly insightful thread, and just wanted to clarify that Novus 1 might not be the best choice for regularly scheduled cleaning, and that Naphtha can be use more safely to clean your pf?

All my games are HUO, but get quite a bit of use. Is Naphtha safe to use everytime my games need a cleaning? And is there is there still a point of using Novus 1? I get that for ball trails or light scratches I could bring out the Novus 2 on occasion.

And lastly, is Blitz still the top choice for wax?

Cheers

#1321 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

Naptha (lighter fluid) is hard to beat for degreasing and dewaxing. And its way cheap.
    But it can be smelly. But its waterless, and thats important on older games that might have some bare wood showing or cracks in the clear.
    Right now I like Mist n Shine on the new games (its what JJP uses on the line). Its a detailers quick clean product and looks great on clearcoat. Also way cheaper than novus 1.
    I use it for between waxing cleanups. It has some wax in it and smells great.
    I use novus1 on plastics after they are cleaned up. I think it shines better than the mist n shine. Mist n shine has a higher wax content it looks a tiny bit duller on plastics but still works good.
    Other than that, I use sparkle glass cleaner on tons of stuff (even black dust). It wont ruin coated (Anti-glare) playfield glass or melt plastics or posts (unlike 409 this crap is deadly)at all. And its also a pretty good, mild cleaner of itself.

Is this the product you're referring to:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B005ZFR7VA/ref=mp_s_a_1_2

And is it advised to use this every month or two when I clean my games before waxing?

I'm still a bit unsure of why and when I'd need Naphtha. If I'm already cleaning and then waxing with something like the above product, why would I need to use it?

Also, what's best for ball trails, ball swirls, and light scratches? Novus 2?

#1357 6 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Naphtha will de-wax your playfield, so you probably don't want to use it all the time.
    What has gotten on your playfield that you might need Naphtha to remove?

Most the time, you can just vac and re-wax.

So let me make sure I have it right. Every couple of months, for my HUO games, it's advised to wipe down the pf with a micro fibre and do a little vacuuming?

Would something like this be a good fit: https://www.amazon.ca/Dura-Vac-AA255-10-Litre-2-5-Gallon/dp/B003M2F7NI/ref=sr_1_16

Then, if there are ball swirls, I can apply Novus 2 gently in a circular motion to remove them? After wiping that away, should I put something like Novus 1 on to clean anything I might have missed since it is abrasive? And then finish up by applying some wax?

I'm still not certain when or why I would need to use Nahtha.

Thanks again

#1363 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

You on your new games don't really need to use naptha at all.
    It's only really used on heavily routed games that have years of Filth on them.
    Or a little bit in a neglected area that you would uncover when say you replace all the rubbers and do a full tear down.

How about the other items from my post:

Quoted from Damien:

So let me make sure I have it right. Every couple of months, for my HUO games, it's advised to wipe down the pf with a micro fibre and do a little vacuuming?
    Would something like this be a good fit: amazon.com link »
    Then, if there are ball swirls, I can apply Novus 2 gently in a circular motion to remove them? After wiping that away, should I put something like Novus 1 on to clean anything I might have missed since it is abrasive? And then finish up by applying some wax?
    I'm still not certain when or why I would need to use Nahtha.
    Thanks again

#1380 6 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

You don't want all that silicone.
    Get the good stuff on your next PL order:
    https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=4292

Crap, I've been using that stuff!

What's the best way to remove ball trails and swirls?

2 months later
    #1423 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

^ Of course you can't be too cautious with breathing chemicals.
    Naphtha evaporates fast, so pour a little on a rag, clean your game, and then set the rags outside to dry (usually they are dry before you can even take them out).
    As far as needing a mask, probably not; but if you do want one, get the proper mask for organic vapors:
    amazon.com link »

Should naphtha be used each time you give your game a clean up, or is it better to use Novus 1? From what I've read earlier, you mentioned Novus 1 can be slightly abrasive.

Just wondering if it is safe/recommended to use naphtha on 90's-current games. I usually do a clean up every 2-3 months.

4 months later
    #1481 5 years ago

I've used some tips from this thread, but still can't seem to get rid of the trailed left from balls, and also the trails left from the flippers.

Anyone have a solution to cleaning up the inlanes down the flippers, and the path that the flippers travel. Looks pretty bad on my LOTR, and Novus 2 just doesn't seem to do much.

Thanks

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider damien.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-and-waxing-pinball-machines-vids-guide?tu=damien and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.