Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,210 posts
  • 439 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 18 hours ago by Jagrmaister
  • Topic is favorited by 1,180 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240415_125716 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot 2024-04-15 at 18-48-23 CPID (resized).png
    20240415_183026 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20240117_214834127 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20240117_214852179 (resized).jpg
    20231203_011654.jpg
    IMG_3745 (resized).jpeg
    6000200939221-1075093065 (resized).jpeg
    Pinside_forum_2734058_571027 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2525 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20230831_002608.jpg
    IMG_2698 (resized).jpeg
    6000200939221-1075093065 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_1833 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1834 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #51 A list of pretenders. Posted by vid1900 (8 years ago)

Post #77 Wax Recommendation Posted by vid1900 (8 years ago)

Post #1237 Playfield protectors Posted by vid1900 (6 years ago)

Post #1954 Opening a jar of blitz Posted by vid1900 (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PinballFever.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#368 8 years ago

Favorited! This is a great topic. Thanks Vid.

#374 8 years ago

Vid,

What do you use to clean and polish metal side rails and lock bars?

Bruce

#376 8 years ago
    Quoted from CNKay:

I love never dull. It is a can of cotton wadding and polish. It work wonderful.

Will give it a try. Thanks CNKay.

Bruce

#382 8 years ago

This is what Vid advised me to get. Had to order it online because they don't allow the local sale of it here in Utah. I'm going to use it to clean an old woodrail playfield.

Bruce

20150924_211341.jpg20150924_211341.jpg

#389 8 years ago

There was some discussion of which "naphtha" products to use and links to buy it in this topic which may help ease the confusion.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/40s-united-pinball-machine-cleaning-question

Be careful which one you get. Vid provides some excellent advice on using it in that topic.

Bruce

#402 8 years ago

What would you use to clean this ball shooter cover? You can see it's dirty around the screws. It's from a 1949 United Mfg. pinball machine.

Bruce

20150927_204200.jpg20150927_204200.jpg

1 week later
    #428 8 years ago

Is it a good idea to remove the old wax if it's a different brand from the one you're planning to apply?

For example: Remove the old Mother's wax and replace it with Blitz or is it OK to apply Blitz on top of the Mother's?

Bruce

3 weeks later
    #477 8 years ago

Any idea what this stuff is on the PF posts and how to clean it off? It doesn't look like wax.

Bruce

20151106_222214.jpg20151106_222214.jpg

#478 8 years ago
    Quoted from PinballFever:

Any idea what this stuff is on the PF posts and how to clean it off? It doesn't look like wax.

I've tried Novus 2 and ISO 91% and peeling/scraping it off. Is this the plastic on the post itself?

Maybe I should try sanding it off with fine sandpaper then polish it with Novus 2?

Bruce

Palooka PF Post.jpgPalooka PF Post.jpg

#481 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Like Anthony says, time to find new posts.

These are red, yellow and purple posts from a 1964 Williams Palooka. Where would be the best place to get new ones? I looked at PBR but they don't quite seem to match.

Thanks,
    Bruce

#484 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

In the meantime, get some close matches from PBR to hold you over.

Quoted from flynnibus:

Call them or email them with the photo- there is so much they have that isn't on the web.

I'll call PBR tomorrow and I've posted to EM seeking parts thread too.

Btw, I thought maybe the swirl was a marbled pattern.

Thanks guys,
    Bruce

#486 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I might well have been 50 years ago, now it's all delaminating.

I see that. The mauve ones have what looks like a marbled pattern.

Thanks again Vid,
    Bruce

#488 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

You can get marble acrylic rod and if you have a wood or metal lathe, you can easily make any color you want.....

I was thinking the same thing but don't have a lathe. Maybe someday.

Bruce

1 year later
    #988 7 years ago

What would you use to clean and polish this badly stained dirty metal backbox door (and the guide shown in picture too)? It's from a 1968 Paul Bunyan and seems to be made of some copper or something.

I tried a little Brasso with microfiber cloth in a spot but I think it would be easier to buy some kind of buffing wheel to put on my drill? If so, which buffer wheel would be good for this?

Thanks,
    Bruce

Backbox door (resized).jpgBackbox door (resized).jpg

#989 7 years ago

Stopped by Lowe's but they didn't have any buffering or sanding wheels to use with my drill.

I'm going to try Harbor Freight or maybe use fine steel wool to clean/polish this metal backbox door.

Bruce

#992 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

HF has them for your drill.
    Remember to get some sticks of compound too (you need a separate buffing wheel for each color of compound)

Thanks vid,

HF didn't have buffing wheels for my drill at the store that I could find. Will look online for them.

Bruce

#994 7 years ago

Found it and looks like green compound is what I need.

Thanks again vid,
    Bruce

1 year later
    #1317 6 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Our old friend Naphtha

I don't think this question was answered but is Naphtha the best solution for cleaning the outside cabinet walls or do you recommend something else?

#1323 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

Naptha (lighter fluid) is hard to beat for degreasing and dewaxing. And its way cheap.
    But it can be smelly. But its waterless, and thats important on older games that might have some bare wood showing or cracks in the clear.

Exactly what I was thinking with my old woodrail which has cracks revealing bare wood.

Does the smell go away with fan and open window? A smelly game wouldn't be good.

#1366 6 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I don't think this question was answered but is Naphtha the best solution for cleaning the outside cabinet walls or do you recommend something else?

As always, you have to ask:

"What are you cleaning from the outside of your cabinet?"

I want to clean the normal dirt off and possibly polish the cabinet, legs and beehive shooter, would a wood polish work for this?

The backbox top in the last photo is the part I was thinking about using naphtha to clean off the crud because of the exposed wood. (It was in a basement for many years)

Bruce

IMG_20180406_191039020 (resized).jpgIMG_20180406_191039020 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180406_193105674 (resized).jpgIMG_20180406_193105674 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180406_193120804 (resized).jpgIMG_20180406_193120804 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180406_191127632 (resized).jpgIMG_20180406_191127632 (resized).jpg

#1368 6 years ago

I remember when I tried ME and 91% alcohol on a JITB cabinet. The paint looked brighter and newer which I know was from taking off the top paint layer.

Would ME and ISO work on this cabinet for the areas where bare wood isn't showing? Maybe ME and something non waterbased?

#1377 6 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I want to clean the normal dirt off and possibly polish the cabinet, legs and beehive shooter, would a wood polish work for this?

I would just vac it off and keep it out of the sun.

For instance, if you put the beehive into an ultrasonic, it will look like an out of place replacement part.

If you wipe that fragile paint, you might loose a bunch of it.

Vacuum the lead paint dust off, and just enjoy a piece of history.

Ok I'll do that. Thanks.

1 month later
    #1398 5 years ago

Pieces of dried melted rubber on playfield. Best way to clean/remove them?

I know pulling one of the pieces up will pull the paint up with it. Can I carefully crush them into powder then clean them off? Is there something that dissolves them without harming the paint?

IMG_20180525_184154293 (resized).jpgIMG_20180525_184154293 (resized).jpg

#1400 5 years ago

I don't think Naptha dissolves the dried hardened melted rubber pieces. I did try it before posting here.

#1404 5 years ago

I did like your idea of crushing them into powder and then gently cleaning off the remainder with maybe a plastic razor blade and lighter fluid.
    Everything eats the paint including alcohol.

Naphtha and Novus 2 aren't making a dent in the melted rubber stuck to the playfield even after many applications of both cleaners.

Dropped the idea of "crushing them into powder". I think these melted pieces are too hard and may make dents in the paint if I try to do this.

I didn't know about plastic razor blades until you mentioned it but it's an idea. Will I be able to use it without scratching the paint?

Surely this is a fairly common issue with old games that others here have had to deal with that can share what they did?

This is preventing me from finishing cleaning the PF so I can move on to waxing it with Blitz.

#1406 5 years ago

I plan to leave it where the ball doesn't go but there are bumps from the rubber pieces where the ball does go. Maybe the ball will flatten them out while playing the game?

#1408 5 years ago

If the rubber is very hard and wont budge at all, sand it off carefully with a custom made small 1" sanding block. Be careful and mask off any areas not to be sanded with masking tape.

I'll look into trying that. It does need to be smoothed down or flattened somehow. I may try the plastic razor first. Are you able to slide the plastic razor across the playfield without scratching the paint?

#1411 5 years ago

Is the goo gone safe for the playfield paint?

I ordered the orange Scraperite plastic razor blades ebay.com link: itm

I had an idea to try using the heat from a hair dryer to soften the rubber bits before cleaning them up. I was using my ultrasonic cleaner yesterday to clean the 65 year old posts (from the same game) that had rubber stuck to them and it softened the rubber pieces to where I could peel them off.

These 65 year old posts look like new after the ultrasonic and I haven't even polished them with Novus!

Before (resized).pngBefore (resized).pngIMG_20180601_231232460 (resized).jpgIMG_20180601_231232460 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PinballFever.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-and-waxing-pinball-machines-vids-guide?tu=PinballFever and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.