Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,210 posts
  • 439 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by Jagrmaister
  • Topic is favorited by 1,180 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240415_125716 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot 2024-04-15 at 18-48-23 CPID (resized).png
    20240415_183026 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20240117_214834127 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20240117_214852179 (resized).jpg
    20231203_011654.jpg
    IMG_3745 (resized).jpeg
    6000200939221-1075093065 (resized).jpeg
    Pinside_forum_2734058_571027 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2525 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20230831_002608.jpg
    IMG_2698 (resized).jpeg
    6000200939221-1075093065 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_1833 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1834 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #51 A list of pretenders. Posted by vid1900 (8 years ago)

Post #77 Wax Recommendation Posted by vid1900 (8 years ago)

Post #1237 Playfield protectors Posted by vid1900 (6 years ago)

Post #1954 Opening a jar of blitz Posted by vid1900 (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pin_Fandango.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1879 3 years ago

resurrecting this thread...

Located in Canada and can't find naphtha here... Would ZIPPO lighter fluid be a good replacement?

#1886 3 years ago

I have also found these two options available in my area:
    https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/emzone-lighter-fluid-341-ml-0762086p.html?rrec=true#spc

and also Coleman lantern fuel, but not sure if this formula has a rust inhibitor in it which might make it unusable for this purpose.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/coleman-naphtha-fuel-946-ml-0760093p.html?rrec=true#spc

#1889 3 years ago
    Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

I bought mine at Sherwin Williams on Woodward Drive, 4l can. Ask for VM&P Naptha. I bought it last about 3 years ago.

thanks for that, I will check it out. if I am not successful, can I borrow a cup? lol, just kidding. Thanks again.

#1897 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

All automotive paint manufacturers recommend some type of wax to protect the finish. New ceramic waxes are pretty good but hard remove and re-apply.
    Waxing the clearcoat is part of the recommended maintenance to preserve the finish every 350-450 plays.
    Rule of thumb:
    Its cheaper and easier to replace the wax than to replace the playfield.
    But, if you want, you can replace the playfield when it gets hazy from ball wear, or buff it down with rubbing compound and re-clearcoat when needed, its your game.

keyword 'automotive'.... We are talking about a piece of metal that is painted for aesthetics and prevent rust. Clearcoat is applied to protect the color layer from the elements (rain, snow, dirt, wind, rocks, sand, and last brake dust that causes surface rust dots on your paint surface over the clear coat / metal particles that are stuck to top layer of the clear and oxydizing, just fyi )

A wax is designed to repel the elements: water, dust by making the surface hydrophobic and more slippery (but this is short lived), and it does not last very long, actually, it last a very short time in my experience. Once you can't feel it with your fingers it is gone, and the surface is not hydrophobic anymore...there is no protection.

So all that to say, if the wind and other elements erode wax (including heat), I cannot see how a metal ball travelling over 40KM is not picking up that wax shortly after it travels over it. Yes sure it will take some time but as mention once the speed is reduced, that is your indication the wax is mostly gone.

I guess what I saying is, I think that waxing the PF is not a bad idea but it is not practical and it perhaps belongs to a different era of pinball where the playfields had slower games and different paint on playfields.
    I am not against waxing newer games but I believe there are better alternatives including PF protectors that do not need waxing, just a plastic cleaner like Novus.

My 2 cents

1 week later
    #1903 3 years ago
    Quoted from MWhit:

There is a lot of information to digest for someone like me that has never cleaned and waxed a playfield, looking for guidance.
    Can I get a cliff notes version, or a check of my plan before I do my 1st clean and wax on a New Stern PF. It has about 200 games on it right now.
    I have purchased: Klean Strip Naphtha VM&P, Blitz 1G wax, Novus 1,
    Rookie mistake- before I found this thread I bought Game Room Guys clean and wax (liquid) that I will not use after reading the post in this thread.
    1) Vacuum to remove dust and loose dirt
    2) Wipe PF with Naphtha (Microfiber towel)
    3) Apply thin coat of Blitz
    4) Buff the wax after it dries
    5) Add new balls
    6) Play a few games
    Thanks!

I think that is a good plan except for changing the balls, seems a bit premature? maybe just inspect them and if they do not have golf ball dimples nor scratches just use them for another 200 games and re-inspect. I am new too so do not quote me on any on that but that is my interpretation as I have read this thread as well and I think it is recommended to replace balls every 500 games or earlier if they show wear.

#1909 3 years ago
    Quoted from MWhit:

Cleaning went pretty good I think and the machine play fast.
    I do have one line that naptha or novus 1 will not get out, maybe it is etched into the topcoat or it was there from the factory and I didn't notice until today. I plan to clean every 200-250 plays.[quoted image]

looks like a reflection

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pin_Fandango.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-and-waxing-pinball-machines-vids-guide?tu=Pin_Fandango and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.