Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,210 posts
  • 439 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by Jagrmaister
  • Topic is favorited by 1,180 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240415_125716 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot 2024-04-15 at 18-48-23 CPID (resized).png
    20240415_183026 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20240117_214834127 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20240117_214852179 (resized).jpg
    20231203_011654.jpg
    IMG_3745 (resized).jpeg
    6000200939221-1075093065 (resized).jpeg
    Pinside_forum_2734058_571027 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2525 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20230831_002608.jpg
    IMG_2698 (resized).jpeg
    6000200939221-1075093065 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_1833 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1834 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #51 A list of pretenders. Posted by vid1900 (8 years ago)

Post #77 Wax Recommendation Posted by vid1900 (8 years ago)

Post #1237 Playfield protectors Posted by vid1900 (6 years ago)

Post #1954 Opening a jar of blitz Posted by vid1900 (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Haymaker.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1436 5 years ago

vid1900 or any others, have you experimented with automotive ceramic coatings vs wax on a playfield yet? I recently jumped back into the automotive detailing game and holy smokes there are some cool products on the market these days. One of these products are the new ceramic coatings that are out. They leave an intense shine, are very hard, and last for a long long time. Seems like it would be a superior alternative to wax. They can be expensive (there are cheap versions out there but I'm not sure how much I trust them) but might be worth it. I've just started experimenting with them on cars but I'm very tempted to try on a pin. Anyone tried it yet?

#1438 5 years ago
    Quoted from mcbPalisade:

Ceramics? TELL US MORE!

Its basically a clear liquid containing ceramic elements or more specifically a compound called SIO-2 (silicon dioxide). When applied on automotive paint, it essentially acts as a super high performance wax that lasts months or even years. Super water repellency, high gloss, super slick surface, and also some paint protection properties as well since the coating itself is very hard. Harder than the clear coat even sometimes. A coated car, will clean off like a breeze. Even hardcore things like brake dust on wheels comes right off with essentially a hose sprayer.

The downsides of the coating are- expense and the prep necessary to apply, as you wouldn't want to lock in scratches or dirt under the ceramic.

They do make cheap versions from china that I have been playing with on my beater car with good results, and I'm just about ready to try a quality one on my Ford Raptor.

It seems like it would have a lot of properties that would make it nice for pinball machines, both old style and new ones that have actual 2 part clear on them. But perhaps theres something I'm missing, which is why I am asking. When winter hits and I'm down working on my machines more often I might be the guinea pig if nobody else has tried it.

The best form is the actual ceramic liquid, but theres other styles of it as well including sprays and even a handful of paste waxes infused with it, such as Enigma by AngelWax. I just picked up some Enigma, and I'm excited to try it out on some cars and that might make it onto some of my games at some point as well.

#1444 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

Since we don't run ballbearings all over or cars it's hard to say if it's good or bad.
    Also what about touchups after the application?
    Also what about re-clear coating after application?
    Many questions about this tech.
    But it looks really promising.
    Some guys are already using it on new games and really like it.
    But as always there are the after the fact repair questions.

These are questions I have as well, but it is a removable coating. Theres no troubles touching up/repainting cars if need be after a ceramic job, but obviously this is not a complete apples to apples comparison.

10 months later
    #1769 4 years ago
    Quoted from Budman:

Is this the equivalent of Mist N Shine?[quoted image]

Worth noting that many (most) QD sprays are silicone based.

Its been a while since I checked in here, but since I've been hardcore into the automotive detailing scene again, I can't believe how many awesome products that are on the market now. Carnuba based waxes are very old school nowadays (but still have a place). I want to ask vid1900 again if he's experimented with SiO2 based ceramic coatings on pinball machines yet and if he had anything to report. Theres also several other products I am interested in such as liquid sealants, which are much more durable than carnuba, easier to apply and WAY easier to remove than carnuba, and last a lot longer while still delivering amazing gloss and protection. There's even some sprays such as turtle wax seal n shine that have me wondering if theres a better way than the old way. Just wondering if you've had a chance to experiment with any of the exciting products that have made their way to the auto market the past couple years. If you'd like some specific recommendations let me know. I realize good for automotive doesn't necessarily translate to good for pinball, but there should be some overlap.

#1773 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

The problems with modern ceramic coatings and polymers is that they are difficult to renew. And some are difficult to apply.
    They just are not designed for having a heavy steel ball grind fine metal fillings into them.
    Once applied they stay put, black flings, ball tracks and everything else.
    As an example, Full playfield mylar has been available for decades, it's very durable but It's impossible to renew.
    Carnauba is hard enough and plenty durable, yet can easily be stripped of with naptha and reapplied. You just have to rewax every so often to clean off the metal filings.
    It's not so much about the durability of the coating as it is about being able to renew it.

You bring up a good point, however I'd argue that the wax will do nothing to really stop the fine grindings into the playfield, as its just too soft. The benefit, to your point, is that it cleans up easily, so any metal deposits in the wax can be wiped away.

All that said, renewing ceramic is pretty easy with various topper products and applying it is very easy as well with the right products. I think the most difficult part would be ensuring the playfield was clean enough from any previous products in order to properly apply the coating. I'm tempted to give it a try on a playfield I don't care about too much. Wax is not designed to have a hard ball rolling against it either and comparing wax or ceramic to mylar is kind of apples to oranges. Even comparing them to the polycarbonate overlays that are available is a bit different, but closer, and those hold up pretty well to ball marks and whatnot. Like I said, I like your points, definitely some things I haven't considered, but I'm still curious.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Haymaker.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-and-waxing-pinball-machines-vids-guide?tu=Haymaker and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.