Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,210 posts
  • 439 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by Jagrmaister
  • Topic is favorited by 1,180 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240415_125716 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot 2024-04-15 at 18-48-23 CPID (resized).png
    20240415_183026 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20240117_214834127 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20240117_214852179 (resized).jpg
    20231203_011654.jpg
    IMG_3745 (resized).jpeg
    6000200939221-1075093065 (resized).jpeg
    Pinside_forum_2734058_571027 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2525 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20230831_002608.jpg
    IMG_2698 (resized).jpeg
    6000200939221-1075093065 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_1833 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1834 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #51 A list of pretenders. Posted by vid1900 (8 years ago)

Post #77 Wax Recommendation Posted by vid1900 (8 years ago)

Post #1237 Playfield protectors Posted by vid1900 (6 years ago)

Post #1954 Opening a jar of blitz Posted by vid1900 (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts matching search word(s) "P21s".
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#51 8 years ago

THE GREAT PRETENDERS

================================================

There are a bunch of products that claim to be ultimate protection, superior protection, polymer protection, personal protection, or whatever. No matter how fancy the box is, no matter how tough a picture of an anvil protecting your car looks, no matter how deep "guaranteed deepest shine" is, the only thing that is important is how well does the wax protect the playfield from wear.

One thing we always want to try and avoid is liquid silicone. Silicone soaks into cracks and pores and is almost impossible to remove. If someone ever tries to repair or clearcoat the playfield, it will be filled with fisheye defects. If someone ever sands the playfield, the dust with the silicone can infect the entire shop. Silicone does make the playfield slippery, but the effect is very short lived compared to real wax.

Another thing we want to avoid is abrasives. "Deep Cleaning" products will contain abrasives. We sure don't want that.

Let's take a look at products we DON'T want on our playfields - The Great Pretenders:

-

Cleaner wax.jpgCleaner wax.jpg

CLEANER WAX

Cleaner Wax contains extra strong solvents and abrasive particles used to try and scrub down to fresh paint on a dull, faded automobile.

Since we want to wax our games often, this means we are wearing away our playfields every time we wax.

-

Silicone Car Wax.jpgSilicone Car Wax.jpg

LIQUID SILICONE

This is the Used Car Lot's secret weapon. You put liquid silicone on a rag, wipe in on a porous, weathered paint job, and the car looks shiny with deep color restored; for about 5 days.

This makes your playfield play crazy fast for a week and then seems to evaporate like it does on a car, leaving you without protection. As a bonus, it's silicone, so if your playfield ever needs repair, it will be fisheye city.

You can find this as a can of liquid, or as an aerosal spray.

-

lemon-pledge-furniture-polish.jpglemon-pledge-furniture-polish.jpg

PLEDGE

If your grandma had a pinball machine, this is what she would use to clean it.

Pledge is a mixture of Paraffin Wax and silicone. Paraffin is a super soft wax and offers no actual protection. Just like at your grandma's house, Pledge looks wet and shiny for a few days, then it evaporates all by itself (so your grandma is forced to use it every week).

When you go to look at a game for sale and it smells like chemical lemons, automatically deduct $500 from your offer.

-

turtle-wax-carnauba-cleaner-wax-t6a.pngturtle-wax-carnauba-cleaner-wax-t6a.png

LIQUID WAX

All those Liquid Waxes that you simply "wipe on - wipe off" are just silicone, fast evaporating solvents and a tiny suspension of paraffin wax. Leaves a very dusty residue after it dries, so you have lot's of mess to clean up.

You are paying for a lot of nothing, and getting a ton of silicone to boot.

-

P21S-100-Carnauba-Wax .jpgP21S-100-Carnauba-Wax .jpg

"100% Carnauba Wax"

Carnauba Wax in it's 100% state is harder than concrete.

There is no way you could spread it on a playfield. It would simply grind off all the paint; same as if you rubbed a brick all over it.

I called Meguiars, and they said that the highest percentage of Carnauba you could possibly make spreadable with some heat would be 50%, or at room temperature, 35%.

Anytime you see a wax make crazy statements like "100% Carnauba Wax", they are lying, or at best, being VERY deceptive.

-

wild 125.JPGwild 125.JPG

WILDCAT

This mixture of super strong petroleum distillates and silicone, used to be recommend by Bally in their manuals.

The strong solvents would soften the topcoat allowing the cloth to free ground-in coil dust.

The strong solvents will cloud your plastic ramps should it accidentally come in contact with them. Don't EVER allow Wildcat to touch anything plastic.

Never use Wildcat on a modern pinball playfield with automotive clear coat.

Williams issued a warning bulletin about using cleaners like Wildcat and Millwax in 1989. They said it causes Mylar to lift, but you can't help but think it also was an early warning for the auto clearcoats that were just on the horizon.

-

mill_wax.jpgmill_wax.jpg

MILLWAX

Similar to Wildcat, Millwax is a liquid silicone and does not actually contain wax. If you have ever seen the white liquid residue that has run down all the playfield holes and onto the backside, Millwax is what it was.

It tends to fill playfield cracks with white residue, and you should keep it away from many plastics.

It make the playfield play fast for a few days, and then like other silicone products, it fades away.

-

Here is the warning letter from Williams about not using the above products with petroleum distillates any longer:

Williams Warning.gifWilliams Warning.gif

8 months later
    #696 7 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

So far I've seen the white chalky residue from both.

I've switched to P21S Concours-look. I've tried to leave stains on the posts and rubbers and it just won't do it. Easy to buff out too.

p21s_(resized).PNGp21s_(resized).PNG

http://www.amazon.com/P21S-12700W-Carnauba-Wax/dp/B002LOP5E4

1 month later
    #781 7 years ago

I saw someone else post about this earlier...this stuff is amazing. Expensive, but no abrasives or additives and leaves no marks. Highly recommended:

P21S Concours Carnauba Wax Combo Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CUUZGVU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_frVCxbBS2MJAR

#786 7 years ago

From the P21S amazon page: "This unique carnauba-beeswax blend" ... Interesting, it has beeswax in it!

#791 7 years ago
    Quoted from jyeakley:

This stuff comes solid, but goes on like melted butter...leaves an amazing shine!

Yep. P21S Concours is easy peasy:
    Cat_(resized).jpgCat_(resized).jpg

4 weeks later
    #829 7 years ago
    Quoted from Luzur:

What is your opinion about this one?
    http://www.pinball.center/en/shop/maintenance-service/tools/6733/carnauba-wax-25-ml
    Only "pinball" wax available here in Sweden except Mill Wax bottle.

I think you can get P21S in Sweden.

#831 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

I think you can get P21S in Sweden.

Swisswax.se seems to be the only one that have that in store, appearently, otherwise P21S is a set of good headphones

#840 7 years ago

Gee and I thought P21S silver at $54 was expensive....

https://www.amazon.com/New-P21S-100%25-Carnuba-6-2oz/dp/B00CI1D2HM/ref=sr_1_3?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1469832966&sr=1-3&keywords=p21s+carnauba+wax

But its actually 100% carnauba

#864 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Could be the WOZ had some other "protection" applied at some point.
    Just like most auto detailing joints will apply paint sealer first, then the Carnauba wax afterwards.
    Try cleaning the playfield with Naphtha first to hopefully remove any chemicals, then re-wax with Blitz.

Ok thanks. It was straight from the factory. I'll check with other WOZ owners to see if they have had a similar experience. I also want to try that P21S stuff (another WOZ owner swears by it), but man it's expensive.

#866 7 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

It seems like every time I wax my WOZ machine with Blitz, it loses that waxy feel pretty quickly, whereas when I wax my Stern Star Trek, it keeps it for months. I know this is probably a dumb question, but is there something about different clear coats that would make one feel more waxy than the other (or one wear off faster than the other)?

I used to use Blitz, then it became hard to get, So I picked up some P21S 100% pure carnauba from amazon (silver can).
    I really like it. Goes on like butter, dries fast, leaves no white dust flakes. Buffs hard a nails, incredible shine.
    The JJP factory uses mist and shine as a final detailing on all the pins. I have that also, but its not a wax. I only use it for quick touchups if I take off the glass. Its a lot like a slightly heavier novus 1, works on plastics and ramps too.

#868 7 years ago

I used to use Blitz, then it became hard to get, So I picked up some P21S 100% pure carnauba from amazon (silver can).
    I really like it. Goes on like butter, dries fast, leaves no white dust flakes. Buffs hard a nails, incredible shine.
    The JJP factory uses mist and shine as a final detailing on all the pins. I have that also, but its not a wax. I only use it for quick touchups if I take off the glass. Its a lot like a slightly heavier novus 1, works on plastics and ramps too.

Did you have the problem I described with Blitz where it seemed to wear off quickly? If so, is P21S any better?

Quoted from vid1900:

Remember that WOZ playfields came from several different vendors, so YMMV

Fair point. I believe I read earlier that naptha is safe with mylar, correct?

#871 7 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

Did you have the problem I described with Blitz where it seemed to wear off quickly? If so, is P21S any better?

Fair point. I believe I read earlier that naptha is safe with mylar, correct?

Your game is too new to need any serious cleaning.
    I didnt do a serious shop job on my WOZ until I had 2000 plays.

In my experience, wax has to take hold. 3 or 4 waxings over time, not all at once.
    I think this is because of surface oils and such like vid says.

The thinner the wax the better more effective protection.

I always wax twice but only because I miss areas completely, that I want to protect.

Yes you can strip the PF and get serious, but regular waxing will absorb minor oily crap (fingerprints etc.) off the PF without tearing into it with naptha on a brand new game.

I use naptha only to remove old dirty wax, my game is too new for that yet. Now a 20 or 30 year old game, that is way different!

At 5000 plays I will have to strip the PF to polish out the ball tracks. Naptha then to clean off all the polishing compund and old dead wax, then 2 coats if P21S and power buff the whole surface.

Im estimating this based on the current wear and tear I see on my game.

1 week later
    #881 7 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

It seems like every time I wax my WOZ machine with Blitz, it loses that waxy feel pretty quickly, whereas when I wax my Stern Star Trek, it keeps it for months. I know this is probably a dumb question, but is there something about different clear coats that would make one feel more waxy than the other (or one wear off faster than the other)?

Quoted from vid1900:

Could be the WOZ had some other "protection" applied at some point.
    Just like most auto detailing joints will apply paint sealer first, then the Carnauba wax afterwards.
    Try cleaning the playfield with Naphtha first to hopefully remove any chemicals, then re-wax with Blitz.

Ok, I just cleaned my playfield with naptha and then applied a fresh coat of blitz wax. I waited 30 minutes, did Vid's finger test to make sure the wax was dry, and then buffed the whole playfield. The playfield felt fairly slick, though not as slick as my Stern Star Trek. I played a game and noticed streaks of wax after I finished. (See below picture.) I felt the playfield again, and it didn't feel quite as slick. When I wax Star Trek, the game is almost unplayable for 50 games or so until some of the wax wears away. With WOZ, which admittedly is a slower game to begin with, while the game was a bit faster, I could definitely play it easily. I didn't notice the fresh wax as much as with other pins. So, do those streaks mean something? Could there be something about the clear they are using that makes wax stick to it less? I next want to try P21S, but would be interested in hearing people's thoughts first.

PostWax1Game_(resized).JPGPostWax1Game_(resized).JPG

#882 7 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

Ok, I just cleaned my playfield with naptha and then applied a fresh coat of blitz wax. I waited 30 minutes, did Vid's finger test to make sure the wax was dry, and then buffed the whole playfield. The playfield felt fairly slick, though not as slick as my Stern Star Trek. I played a game and noticed streaks of wax after I finished. (See below picture.) I felt the playfield again, and it didn't feel quite as slick. When I wax Star Trek, the game is almost unplayable for 50 games or so until some of the wax wears away. With WOZ, which admittedly is a slower game to begin with, while the game was a bit faster, I could definitely play it easily. I didn't notice the fresh wax as much as with other pins. So, do those streaks mean something? Could there be something about the clear they are using that makes wax stick to it less? I next want to try P21S, but would be interested in hearing people's thoughts first.

S100 - P21S's brother. Half the cost. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-truly-great-product-p21s-wax-a-new-standard#postbox

#886 7 years ago

Ok. Thanks. At some point I'll try the P21S and report if I notice different results.

#887 7 years ago

Just got done using P21S for the first time. Goes on very easily and does not have any extra wax flakes you see from time to time with blitz. However I wonder if it will hold up as long as blitz does. Doesn't seem to be as rugged from the application process and doesn't seem to harden as much as blitz. Game looks great and is slick though.

5 months later
    #1012 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Bahahahahahahahahahahahaha, that's great material.

It wasn't a joke. I'm dead serious.
    Before I got it I did buy some P21S carnauba wax (is it good) ?
    If I should be waxing and it's a decent wax, I'll try waxing.
    Thanks.

#1014 7 years ago
    Quoted from facelift:

It wasn't a joke. I'm dead serious.
    Before I got it I did buy some P21S carnauba wax (is it good) ?
    If I should be waxing and it's a decent wax, I'll try waxing.
    Thanks.

Yes, wax often, replace your balls often = happy pinball playfield.

P21S is fine.

1 week later
    #1017 7 years ago

FWIW, buy S100. It's EXACTLY the same thing as P21S, at like half the cost. It's a branding thing (marketing genius if I may say so). Much like the way many of Aldi's products are name brand food products, at a fraction of the price, relabeled to cater to a different demographic. Anyways, same container, same top, same 100% white carnauba, with a different removable label and branded instruction card under the cap.

5 months later
    #1063 6 years ago
    Quoted from thundergod76:

I'm looking for other waxes to use other than Blitz. I spend as much time vacuuming the damn chunks up as I do cleaning and waxing. It even clumps up while applying it. Gets worse each time I use it. Maybe I got a bad batch?

If you put too thick a coat of wax then you will get a lot of dust.
    Really you just need the thinnest coat to do the job. Contrary to popular opinion you cant "build up" wax coats. If you did it would all grind off with the ball rolling on it anyway.

If you dont like Blitz then maybe use P21S pure carnauba in the silver can. It leaves little or no residue even if you put a little too much on, and no dust to speak of.

Also P21S goes on butter smooth so you can apply super thin coats.

8 months later
    #1296 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Okay, I've read through the thread but have a specific question for my situation, and I apologize if you have to repeat yourself (just point me to the post(s) if already answered).
    I have a Getaway that I have done my best to restore, mod, etc. I keep it very clean but the playfield just doesn't have that glossy pop to it (at least not like some other pins I've played, even from the same era). I've cleaned it with various products I've seen recommended and I use paste carnauba wax (2-3 applications) to wax it by hand. However, I just can't get that high-gloss reflective shine that I've seen on many playfields.
    I don't know if it is my product, my process, or if I'm just limited by the age/condition of my playfield, but any suggestions would be sincerely appreciated.

Hi-Gloss has to do with the lack of micro scratches and a hard finish.
    Careful machine buffing of the clearcoat with a variety of mild abrasives ( very mild!) to take out the micro scratches, and an application of a super hard wax like blitz or p21s and then buffed will produce a shine.

Its easy however to rub through the clear and destroy the finish especially if its old and worn.

Cheap liquid canauba wont shine at all compared to 100% carnauba, it just wipes off.

Older finishes might not have the hardness of more modern finishes but they are more chip resistant.
    They can look dull with age as they wear or pick up a lot of micro scratches from cleaning and over-all use.

You get a more satin sheen which isnt bad, just not hard and glossy.

So, people clear over them to freshen things up a bit, and buff.

I like to buff the wax with a felt pad or rag to shine it up after the wax dries for awhile.

#1299 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

As always, thanks for the detailed explanation and sound advice. Also, the condition is much to do with your advice on how to clean, do touch-up paint, etc.

FYI, I use Mothers California Gold Pure Brazilian Carnauba Wax Paste

I have used that wax before, its ok but doesnt last very long.
    Its like 50% solvent. It does a good job of clearing old wax as you apply it but leaves too much white dust for me.

I switched to P21S (silver can) and will never go back. Its perfect for me and leaves extremely little white dust.
    And Its higher wax to solvent ratio leaves more wax down on the playfield.
    It dries rock hard and lasts for weeks on my games that get a fair amount of play.

Others like the Blitz 1000 wax. Its also very good but leaves a fair amount of white dust that you have to vacuum off.

#1300 6 years ago

I have used that wax before, its ok but doesnt last very long.
    Its like 50% solvent. It does a good job of clearing old wax as you apply it but leaves too much white dust for me.
    I switched to P21S (silver can) and will never go back. Its perfect for me and leaves extremely little white dust.
    And Its higher wax to solvent ratio leaves more wax down on the playfield.
    It dries rock hard and lasts for weeks on my games that get a fair amount of play.
    Others like the Blitz 1000 wax. Its also very good but leaves a fair amount of white dust that you have to vacuum off.

This stuff?

https://www.amazon.com/New-P21S-100-Carnuba-6-2oz/dp/B00CI1D2HM/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1522348354&sr=8-10&keywords=p21s+wax

https://store.carcareonline.com/onegrandblitzcarnaubawax-15ozcan.aspx

1 week later
    #1341 6 years ago
    Quoted from gunstarhero:

I second Mr. Tantrums California Gold Carnuba Paste wax from Mothers suggestion. Works great and even smells pretty nice.

This is a pretty good cleaner wax.
    It has more solvent than I require though.

Right now I just clean off the old wax then apply a very high solids pure carnauba like blitz or P21S.

I like the outcome better and the non-cleaner wax seems longer lasting and harder.

6 months later
    #1472 5 years ago
    Quoted from packie1:

Was wondering if S100 would be a good wax since it is carnauba and beeswax.

I don't know.

It always seems scammy how they sell the same P21S wax to automotive crowd and then relabel it as S100 wax to the biking crowd - but at 2X the price.

In the States, that's a good way to get your ass kicked by a bunch of bikers....

#1475 5 years ago

The P21S silver can is the one you want.
    The blue can is half beeswax, cheaper but not as good as the 100% carnauba in the silver can.

4 weeks later
    #1504 5 years ago
    Quoted from joseph5185:

vid1900
    Greetings pinsiders!
    I want to preface my comments by informing that I am a noob and BRAND NEW to this community. This will literally serve as my first post.
    So... I'm about to purchase my FIRST PIN ever and I'm stoked about it and well...honestly, terrified after reading some of the stuff in this thread. I will continue to do my part and read through this, but there's a lot. I'm on page 6 currently...
    Okay, so I will be purchasing the Monster Bash Remake LE and ultimately, I just want to enjoy my game and do the right things and not the "wrong" things and keep this thing in pristine condition. Also, this will be a HUO machine.
    Alright, that said ... here's where my feelings lie at the moment..
    It kinda feels like a damned if you do and damned if you don't situation and I'll explain in a little bit.
    Sounds to me that the condition of the balls is absolutely paramount. Noted. Of course, it's not expected that you're going to be inspecting your pinballs after every game so it makes enough reasonable sense that you'll simply check whenever you clean the machine.
    Alright so the heart of my concerns, confusion, etc comes down to...
    To Wax or Not To Wax ... That is the question..
    My understanding is when I get this game, it will be "pre-waxed" ... only slightly or w/e, but all the same. And let me say that I LOVE the idea that waxing the PF makes it so that sequential maintenance is well easier to maintain, but the thought of using wax is TERRIFYING me. Which wax to use, don't use too much, make sure you wait long enough and on and on. I would PREFER to not use wax if at all possible.
    -----------------------------------------------
    How do I ask this next question and sound some-what relatively intelligent? I'm having a very difficult time coming to the realization or the necessity of needing to wax this machine when I first get it as, again, it's already "pre-waxed."
    At the same time, it makes 0 sense to use something like Novus 2 since it contains abrasives. Back to the damned if you do and damned if you don't bit ..
    If my comprehension of what I have read thus far is accurate, Novus 2 contains abrasives and will "wear-down" the PF albeit slowly. Well, I don't want to do that...of course.
    Circling back around to the "The damned if you and damned if you don't ... " .. If I opt to not use Novus 2 or wax, well, isn't playing the game naturally going to "wear down" the PF either way? And if it is, ultimately, does it make sense to use Novus 2 if you "can't avoid" wearing down the play field?
    Furthermore, is it "insensitive" to think you can avoid scratching the game in the first place?
    I know someone uses a diluted version of Simple Green (I don't know which method ... there are 3 on the concentrated bottle on the back .. "heavy duty" , "normal", etc) and that sounds like a good idea or Novus 1. Makes sense that you would use Novus 1 if you are using Novus 2. Novus 1 contains "too much" water? Simple Green is cheaper? Just as effective? More effective?
    ... Alright guys/gals, I think that's more than enough for now.
    I WILL REALLY APPRECIATE any and all feedback regarding my concerns and how to go about this when I receive the game.
    Thanks in advance!

Hi there. Congrats on your upcoming purchase!

I’m relatively new to this hobby — about 4 plus years in — so understand your nervousness and confusion. I was the same way. I now own two older machine and two games I bought new. I bought a third pin new but recently sold it. So, let me reassure you.

First, just take a deep breath and remember that even if you play a lot of games at home — and you will play a lot at first — it will be no where near the level that a pin gets played on location. You are very unlikely to see any wear to your machine even if you don’t wax for months. Does that mean you shouldn’t wax? No. It just means that when you get your game, just play it and enjoy and then wax when you can. Use blitz or P21S. Both are excellent. You need only apply a tiny amount. It should be barely visible when you apply it. Just enough to create a slight haze when it dries. Then buff off. Just get the easy to reach areas. No need to do a full tear down for a long time.

Wax every 3-6 months. In between waxings, vacuum up dust. If needed, use Novus 1, not 2. Change your balls every 3-6 months as well. It is a cheap thing to do and can potentially create issues if you don’t.

And just enjoy. All three of my NIB games looked like new years after I bought them. Is it beacause I waxed? Maybe. It is more because I played them In the home and only put on 1,000-2,000 games instead of 10,000 like they would get on location. NIB games including yours come with a protective layer of clear coat. It is not a wax, so you should still wax. But it does protect the paint. And you can relax. You’ll figure it out and not do any harm to your pin.

Enjoy!

#1546 5 years ago
    Quoted from JCNP:

Mills pinball wax. Nothing else needed for a new machine if you keep maintenance up. Is this correct.

no one uses that.

use blitz 1000 or P21S silver.

#1548 5 years ago

Thank you. I read again and again. I'm getting a new machine soon. I'm going to wipe it down with new microfiber cloth. Put on some p21s silver wax with microfiber cloth. Going to install mylar in critical areas. Do you think 4 mil would be acceptable over the 3? Really appreciate your knowledge and help. Thanks for responding quickly. I can see you take a little bit of abuse from reading the thread but when you spell it out factually it's hard to ignore.

4 months later
    #1574 5 years ago

@pinballinreno,

I recall this comment from you:

"Mist n shine is silicone free. JJP uses if for the final wipe down on all games. Its rated for clearcoat.
    A lot of us use it for between waxing "touch-ups", and you can use it on plastics too."

I'm still an advocate of this product...

Is it okay to START "waxing" with this product after X games? Or do I really want something like blitz or P21S from the get go?

Also, can you help me with the difference between in-lanes and out-lanes. And mylar? This is used to protect these lanes or something??

Thanks so much!!

#1577 5 years ago
    Quoted from joseph5185:

I lied ...
    This looks pretty "solid" for a complete n00b like me...
    http://pinhedz.com/
    I don't understand most of it, but I like the presentation.
    This was mentioned a few pages back around a year ago and virtually went ignored...
    I'll actually shut up now.. =/
    EDIT: I went to https://www.flipnoutpinball.com/ (which I respect more out of all the other companies listed), looked for pinhedz on their site and they had no products to show.
    Hmm...

Use blitz or P21S silver.
    Mist n shine isn't a wax, it's a cleaning fluid.

Email Cliff directly for what you want.

All coil stops and sleeves wear down after awile.

Flipper coil stops an sleeves wear down the fastest.

As they wear the angle of the flipper bat changes.

I change the flipper coil stops when they wear down 1/16" or more as it changes game play and I like the flippers to feel fresh and play properly.

Generally 2-3 thousand games on flipper stops and sleeves unless they get sticky.

Check the plungers also at this time and file off any mushrooming or replace them if they look bad.

Mylar over any place that the ball drops on or any unprotected edge that gets a lot of ball traffic.

When I do a serious cleaning or maintenance every 1500 games I pull the flipper coil stops, clean the sleeves with naptha and make an assessment.

#1578 5 years ago

Use blitz or P21S silver.
    Mist n shine isn't a wax, it's a cleaning fluid.
    Email Cliff directly for what you want.
    All coil stops and sleeves wear down after awile.
    Flipper coil stops an sleeves wear down the fastest.
    As they wear the angle of the flipper bat changes.
    I change the flipper coil stops when they wear down 1/16" or more as it changes game play and I like the flippers to feel fresh and play properly.
    Generally 2-3 thousand games on flipper stops and sleeves unless they get sticky.
    Check the plungers also at this time and file off any mushrooming or replace them if they look bad.
    Mylar over any place that the ball drops on or any unprotected edge that gets a lot of ball traffic.
    When I do a serious cleaning or maintenance every 1500 games I pull the flipper coil stops, clean the sleeves with naptha and make an assessment.

I appreciate this.

So Blitz OR P21S Silver? Which do you use? Are they really so interchangeable that it simply doesn't matter?

So much to learn man..

So now the flippers have coil stops as well? I really need to do my homework and understand visually what a "coil" is...

Also, is it fair that some of this stuff depends solely on the pin you own?
    Like I don't know how many sleeves or w/e my table will have.

Thanks!

#1580 5 years ago
    Quoted from joseph5185:

I appreciate this.
    So Blitz OR P21S Silver? Which do you use? Are they really so interchangeable that it simply doesn't matter?
    So much to learn man..
    So now the flippers have coil stops as well? I really need to do my homework and understand visually what a "coil" is...
    Also, is it fair that some of this stuff depends solely on the pin you own?
    Like I don't know how many sleeves or w/e my table will have.
    Thanks!

You are getting a brand new game.
    Parts maintenance is quite away in the future.

Play it awhile and wax it after about 20 games.
    Blitz wax and P21S are interchangeable.
    Blitz is much cheaper.

#1581 5 years ago

I second @pinballinreno's sage advice. I use Blitz, but hear P21S is just as good.

I especially like the advice of playing a few games before waxing. Mostly so you get a good feel for the game first and then can say "holy shit" once you wax it and the balls are just flying around like a bat out of hell. It never ceases to amaze me when I have a game I haven't waxed in 5-6 months and am getting used to the play and then I wax it and balls are just zinging!!

1 month later
    #1701 4 years ago

I was new to this once. For some reason, most of my machines are neglected when I buy them. I always vacuum with a soft paint brush, Naphtha, Novus 2 then wax. After that, it is just lightly vacuum, and wax as needed. I try for once a month or ever 2 months depending on how much play the kids give the machines. I bought the P21S wax only because I couldn't combine the Blitz with another order.

I own a boat, the discussions about wax, detailing, brands, methods, etc go on forever. Sorry, I don't have time to compound, claybar, wax, polish, apply detail spray, etc. I like to use and enjoy my toys. A spray of detail spray here and there and wipe down after every use prevents water spots. I spray the interior once or twice a year to prevent suntan lotion stains. I enjoy it more than I work on it. Much like my pins.

2 weeks later
    #1742 4 years ago
    Quoted from TronGuy:

hey so I have a NIB batman 66 coming soon. I read the first few pages of this thread, but can't get myself to read the whole thing.
    I think the original poster (vid) said 1 Grand blitz wax was his choice. 3 years later is that still his choice?
    I just want to clean my new playfield once a month or whatever is necessary. This will be my only pin at this point.

or P21S which is even better than Blitz.

I use P21S, but you can't go wrong with either.

#1744 4 years ago

I’ve used both p21s and blitz and I believe blitz is easier to use and lasts longer

#1752 4 years ago

I'm currently using Meguiar's Gold Class carnuba wax on my games. Prior to this, I had been using Millwax (i.e. silicone based). What I've noticed is that when I used Millwax, the playfield was slick as snot... but it didn't last all that long. Maybe after 40-50 game plays, I could start to notice it just wasn't as slick. When using the Meguiar's wax, I can't say that it ever seemed as slick as the Millwax. In fact, I can see a spinning ball gain traction on a playfield and curve a different direction even after a fresh waxing, whereas when I used Millwax, ball traction on the playfield seemed less. Gotta say, even though I try to keep my games clean and waxed, that ball traction on the playfield worries me a bit of the playfield being potentially worn. Am I worrying too much or would you recommend ditching the Meguiar's stuff and go with something like Blitz or P21s? Is the traction thing typical of carnuba waxed playfields more so than silicone waxed; are others noticing this? BTW, the only reason why I stopped using Millwax was because of reading Vid's write-up on why he doesn't like silicone waxes. A buddy of mine basically said, just wax it on a regular occasion and don't worry about it.

3 months later
    #1801 4 years ago
    Quoted from arcyallen:

Forgive me if I missed this after only reading the first 900 or so posts in this thread, but how does the above reconcile with your oft-quoted
    "Wipe with soft cloth moistened with Novus1 or Simple Green"?
    Do you mean don't spray Simple Green DIRECTLY onto the playfield but it's ok to apply with a towel? Or is there some other hidden meaning between these two apparently conflicting directives? Also, are you diluting the Simple Green per the label or using it full strength? My No Fear is waiting patiently for a response. And thanks for all the info so far!

Dont bother with novus 1 or novus 3.

Use mist n shine and novus2.

Use novus 2 for heavy ball tracks that wint wipe off, followed with pure carnauba like blitz 1000 or P21S silver.

Other than that, VM&P Naptha to clean mechanical parts and badly soiled playfied targets and such.

Always re-wax the playfield in areas that naptha was used as a cleaner. It readily removes wax.

Oddly naptha wont harm anything on the playfield.

11 months later
    #1873 3 years ago
    Quoted from j-fit:

So, I'm going through the posts now. On page 3 and decided to use search function in thread for "Zaino". Showed 3 hits but the first 2 results had no mention of Zaino.
    Anyway, thoughts on this product for the playfield? Put a few coats of this stuff on a car and it will last 6 months and still have water beading up. There are different versions some with no abrasives.
    It's one of the most popular non-commercial waxes available, before the whole new ceramic coatings became the thing.

Because its not as renewable as i would like, i say dont bother.

The thing about pinball if that once in awhile you want to strip the surface and reapply.

I like pure carnauba because its easy to remove with naphtha.

Im working on a game right now that has a Synthetic polymer ceramic clone wax on it.

The dirt embedded itself into the coating and is near impossible to clean off.

There was a permanent black haze that looked like smoke damage throughout the surface.

This was not smoke or fire damage. Simply black pinball dust embedded into the ceramic glaze.

Naptha wont remove it.

I had to completely strip the playfield.

I had to apply rubbing compound to wear off the coating.

Then i had to buff for hours with a combination of compunds and glaze lotions to get the shine back.

What should have been a 1 hour job took 3 days to complete.

So ask the manufacturer if the ceramic coating resists finely ground metal filings continuously rolled into the surface with a heavy steel ball.

Then ask if the coating is fast and easy to remove once its stained with embedded powdered tool steel.

Pure carnauba suits pinball use extremely well.

Blitz or P21S silver can is what you want.

4 months later
    #1900 3 years ago
    Quoted from PRUG:

Hi everyone, relatively new to the hobby and have a two pin collection. I tried for the first time waxing the playfields today; per various recommendations here, I used One Grand Blitx Wax. After letting the wax dry and buffing it, the machines sat for a few hours. I then started playing on my Jurassic Park and noticed white flakes all over the playfield. Is that because I am supposed to let the wax sit/cure for a longer period of time or could it be due to me having done something wrong during the waxing step. Thanks much for any feedback/input you may have.

That happens. Try to vacuum them up. For what it is worth, I find I get fewer flakes by using P21S than Blitz.

#1901 3 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

That happens. Try to vacuum them up. For what it is worth, I find I get fewer flakes by using P21S than Blitz.

I have both waxes too.

Blitz is great for the money but I prefer the P21S silver can. Way less wax dandruff.

Vacuuming solves the dandruff problem or blow out with an electric air duster:

https://www.amazon.com/XPOWER-Airrow-Multi-Use-Electric-Computer/dp/B00SI67YRU/ref=sxts_b2b_sx_reorder

1 month later
    #1914 3 years ago
    Quoted from SuperHomer:

Thanks! What would you suggest instead of Blitz?

I prefer P21S. A little less residue after you wax. But honestly, Blitz is fine, and you’ll still get good results with it.

#1915 3 years ago

Yeah p21s here but no reason to throw away monies with your Blitz.

3 weeks later
    #1941 3 years ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

Isnt turtle wax the cheap stuff? I would go by the recommendations in this thread.
    EDIT, I checked out this product online and people with cars seem to like it, partially because its cheaper than the competition. Im staying with the tried and true.

Use blitz or p21s silver can.

10 months later
    #1982 2 years ago
    Quoted from McIntyre905:

I'll take a better look at it when I can tomorrow. Unfortunately this is my first machine and I had someone who apparently knew how to install machines but I know I didn't see him check the balls before putting them in (and I didn't know you are supposed to) so I'm really hoping I can get this out. Its brand new only like 500 plays

Novus 2 will smooth out the scratches,

Blitz 1000 or P21S (silver can) will protect the finish.

When applying wax, less is more. Its not Spackle...

A proper coat should look like fingerprints on glass.
    Let it dry thoroughly, then wipe off , then buff with a flannel (yellow) rag.

Vacuum out the cab and any remnants when your done.

Let it dry a bit, you should be good.

You cant build wax coats, its impossible, one is enough.

A lot of people skip the vacuuming.

Get a small shop-vac (1.5 or 2 gal) They are really handy.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hyper-Tough-1-5-Gallon-2-0-Peak-HP-Utility-Wet-Dry-Vacuum/255414349?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&wl13=5864&adid=22222222277255414349_117755028669_12420145346&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=501107745824&wl4=pla-293946777986&wl5=9030872&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=local&wl12=255414349&wl13=5864&veh=sem_LIA&gclid=Cj0KCQiA9OiPBhCOARIsAI0y71C_lgsgBqmCHZg0m7osXI_77HQH_OabTmhj8j8HD_GNnpfw3nuZhLwaAuGHEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Store it under your game.

#1985 2 years ago

What's the difference between P21S and S100? From what I can tell, the S100 is half the price. And is there a difference between the P21S with the blue cap versus the silver cap?

#1987 2 years ago
    Quoted from unclerudy:

What's the difference between P21S and S100? From what I can tell, the S100 is half the price. And is there a difference between the P21S with the blue cap versus the silver cap?

P21S silver is pure carnauba whereas the blue cap id diluted with beeswax like so many others.

7 months later
    #2029 1 year ago
    Quoted from ababapanos:

hello at my local store I can find Meguiar's Gold Class Carnauba Plus Paste Wax 311gr and Meguiar's Carnauba Plus 473ml in liquid wax. Which of the two should I choose?
    Regards!

The paste has less solvent and more wax, get the paste if you cant find Blitz or P21S (silver can).

#2033 1 year ago
    Quoted from DaveTheTrain:

I'm not sure where I'm going wrong, if I am.
    I've got a tin of mothers (the reccomended one not the cleaner wax) that I've been using for months.
    I rub my cloth in against the wax and then onto the pf, leave 10-15mins and then use another cloth to buff out.
    Everything seems fine until some balls are rolling, I end with with spots of wax on the balls and sometimes crumbs of wax appear on the pf. I have to keep cleaning the balls and it's such a faff.
    Any ideas where I'm going wrong?

Use a harder wax.

I use P21S silver can. Never a problem.

Apply it very sparingly, think fingerprints on glass.

Its not spackle, body filler or icing.

Its wax. You cant build up coats as each new coat disolves the last, thats a fallacy.

Heavy coats of paste dont do anything other than make a big mess to vacuum out.

9 months later
    #2126 8 months ago
    Quoted from Sackmonkey:

The Blitz stuff seems to be out of stock everywhere. I could only find it on one site and they wanted $20+ just for shipping ($60+ total)! I gave up and order that W-41 Brazilian stuff that other's mentioned.

P21S is also a good wax (silver can)

https://www.amazon.com/New-P21S-100-Carnuba-6-2oz/dp/B00CI1D2HM/ref=asc_df_B00CI1D2HM/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312168126179&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10464436194044622313&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9030895&hvtargid=pla-566860906486&psc=1

1 month later
    #2149 7 months ago

OK i dampened a rag with naphtha (vmp) then applied a little pressure to clean off the playfield of my shadow i just picked up from HUO for 25 years. I’m unsure if/when this thing was last cleaned. or if it was done ‘correctly’.

i then used the p21s wax as blitz is n/a for me. applied 1/8 tsp and circular motion to areas. waited about 15 before it was dry then lightly wiped it off. looks like i may have used too much, or at least need to clean the star posts.

that being said, my lower playfield by the flippers are concerning me.

if you look at this picture, in the inlane there is a clear ball trail line and two different looks to the playfield. where the ball cant touch it’s shiny, above it all the way up to the inserts and around the slings it’s hazy.

the playfield above this center/business area looks great.

is there a fix here? did i not use enough pressure or time w the naptha?

thanks!

IMG_2698 (resized).jpegIMG_2698 (resized).jpeg
    1 month later
    #2165 6 months ago
    Quoted from interconnect:

Blitz Wax appears to be out of stock everywhere. Anyone know where you can buy it?

Use P21S silver can if you cant get the Blitz.

1 month later
    #2170 4 months ago

I went to buy another can of wax today and it's n/a... Is that silver p21s the go to for everyone mostly? What's the normal price on that stuff, I just briefly checked Amazon and it was spendy

1 month later
    #2175 77 days ago

Hey guys have a question on playfield cleaning and figured this might be the right thread for it.

So I have a TMNT 2020 machine (first pinball machine) I got a few months ago and did my first playfield clean a few weeks ago. Followed a lot of online tutorials and feel like the job went pretty well. Playfield looks a lot nicer afterwards and seemed to play a lot nicer. However, I have a few issues was hoping you guys could help with. First I'll lay out what I did/used.

Using a clean/new microfiber I started with a full cleaning of the playfield and ramps with Novus 1 (nothing was so engrained that I felt I needed novus 2 and heard to only use it for deeper scratches/stubborn spots to avoid damage, and everything looked great without it).

Then, put on a coat of P21S Carnauba Wax which I saw highly recommended in several places. applied with the provided applicator sponge in circular motion and then let it sit for about 15 minutes.

Came in after with another new microfiber and (in a circular motion) rubbed all the wax in and got it looking clean. Here's my issues:

------------

I'm seeing wax buildup accumulating on ball paths. Also my balls are getting a noticeable coat of wax on them. It's not every game but accumulates after 20 or so plays. I've now removed the balls and cleaned them twice and used a microfiber to remove excess buildup on the shooting lane and a few ramp entrance/exits.

Also, some wax seems to have gotten itself (from the initial cleaning) into holes such as where the metal switches for the outlanes and such are at. I've had to get some paper towel and fold it a couple times and try to get it down into those grooves to get it out. Kind of annoying.

Am I doing something wrong? I didn't think I applied "too much" wax but I do suppose it's possible. Is this just something to expect every time I wax the PF? Is there a technique or something else I could try to employ with this? Love the way the PF looks and plays after waxing but it's deterring me to want to do it again if it's going to be weeks of "post-cleanup". Hopefully it's just something I did wrong on this first one and something I can correct going forward.

Thanks!

1 month later
    #2184 35 days ago

Hey all! Been reading this (excellent) thread and have a noob question for you all:

So my one and only machine is a Foo Fighters that I bought new, and it has about 500 plays on it. Being that it's my first machine, I didn't think to replace the factory balls or wax the playfield first. BUT, it physically still looks great, with no ball trails or any other perceptible weirdness/imperfections on the playfield.

Gonna give it its first cleaning... sounds like I'm just going to replace the balls (looking at those shiny ones from Titan mentioned earlier in the thread), giving it a good vacuum and then applying some Blitz (or P21S) wax? And then, for subsequent cleanings, am I looking at removing the old wax with Naphta and applying a new coat?

Does all of that sound right/reasonable? Sorry if this was addressed earlier, but it's a 40-some page thread so I may have missed something. Thank you!

You're currently viewing posts matching search word(s) "P21s".
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-and-waxing-pinball-machines-vids-guide?tq=P21s&tu= and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.