Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,210 posts
  • 439 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by Jagrmaister
  • Topic is favorited by 1,180 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240415_125716 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot 2024-04-15 at 18-48-23 CPID (resized).png
    20240415_183026 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20240117_214834127 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20240117_214852179 (resized).jpg
    20231203_011654.jpg
    IMG_3745 (resized).jpeg
    6000200939221-1075093065 (resized).jpeg
    Pinside_forum_2734058_571027 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2525 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20230831_002608.jpg
    IMG_2698 (resized).jpeg
    6000200939221-1075093065 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_1833 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1834 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 2,210 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 45.
    #351 8 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Do you have any thoughts on blowing instead of sucking?

If I have the playfield out of the game (like for a pop bumper replacement), I'll take the game outside of the shop and hit it with the air compressor.

You never want to blow all that metal dust all over your shop, you would be breathing it forever. And on an older game where the ball is wearing on the paint, you would have some nice lead paint dust mixed in too.

So outdoors - blow.

Indoors - suck.

#352 8 years ago
    Quoted from mesa:

So is Naphtha safe to use on Modern Playfields and/or plastics?

Naphtha is safe for all playfields, modern and old.

Use Novus#1 for plastics.

#353 8 years ago
    Quoted from mesa:

...... and the wax isn't safe to use on plastics since it will trap the PD, melting the plastic.

Wax does not trap Petroleum Distillates or melt plastic.

The distillates evaporate leaving the hardened wax behind.

If the distillates were still trapped in the wax, then the wax would still be creamy and soft.

#354 8 years ago
    Quoted from scampcamp:

I hope these pictures are clear enough to show what I am talking about.20150916_122013.jpg
    20150916_122001.jpg

452642-i.jpg452642-i.jpg

Yep, great pictures!

-

You are at a very dangerous crossroad with that playfield.

You can see that the lacquer is already chipping/wearing off the inserts and playfield.

So waterbased or alcohol based "cleaners" are going to soak into the porous wood and could plank the finish.

Use some Naphtha on a clean rag or real sea sponge (not a petrochemical man made sponge) and GENTLY try to lift some of the crud from those cracks. You WILL NOT be able to clean it all out.

Give it a good waxing and be sure to keep it waxed.

-

If someday you are going to clearcoat that playfield, you can use Magic Eraser and alcohol and remove the topcoat and ball swirl completely. But don't do this yet, as once the topcoat is removed, you will be wearing down the paint itself.

#355 8 years ago

Vid- really appreciate all that you do for us!
    I feel bad asking more from you, but...
    Could you compile a "Vid's guide to getting a stubborn guy laid"
    Lately, it seems a lot of pinsiders REALLY need this...

#356 8 years ago

Thanks tons! So... I shouldn't use Simple Green to get the thick dirt off at all? Just Naphtha?

#357 8 years ago
    Quoted from ryan1234:

"Vid's guide to getting a stubborn guy laid"

Yes, Please....but I am afraid the answer might be use naptha as cologne, not Novus 2!

#358 8 years ago

definitely not novus 2 for that, you will wear her down, only use nous 2 if you are trying to polish scratches out of her plastic or her clear coat, then rub her gently with wax, and polish the wax off, she'll shine prettier than your brand new pickup truck. If she's a bride, place a ball in her mouth and she'll turn her head, after that place 2 balls in her eyes and she'll give your balls back, put those balls on her face again immediately and she'll turn into a real woman!

come on guys, I'm talking about pinball, get your mind out of the gutter

#359 8 years ago
    Quoted from Sheprd:

According to SC Johnsons, they do not use soft beeswax or silicon. Naptha and Carnauba are the top ingredients used.
    http://www.whatsinsidescjohnson.com/us/en/brands/sc-johnson/sc-johnson-paste-wax
    There is so much hype about waxes, that bad information gets spread and people can really get confused. I agree with your advice on how to treat the metal, but the bees wax / silicone comment conflicts with the manufacturers' published disclosures.
    Thanks for the posts as always... great discussions.

I can just state what happened from personal experience.

Subject: 30+ year old 31" metal legs used on a Gottlieb game

Initial condition: Moderate surface rust, especially on the inside.

Cleaning: First washed off with a hose to get excess off then given an overnight bath in Evaporust inside a sealed PVC tube

Post bath: Gently wiped with some green scotch brite to remove the excess as best as possible.

Polish: Mother's Metal Polish brought up a very nice shine and I was happy with the results after buffing with a clean cloth.

Protection: Have been told to apply wax as a protectorate for the polished metal. I have carnauba products but wanted to use the SC Johnson paste wax I had on hand.

Results: It didn't harm anything but some ingredient in it prevented it from really shining. I buffed and I buffed but I could not remove the haze until I stripped the wax back off.

Lesson for me: I got a can of SC Johnson's Paste Wax (great Frank Lloyd Wright design on that building and the house BTW) that I don't know what to do with. Good on hardwood floors? Got plenty of them in my house.

As always, this is Vid's thread. Feel free to comment or add corrections. Yea, I know we're talking about playfield's soooo, hey, maybe Vid can start a guide to metal stripping and polishing as well.

#360 8 years ago
    Quoted from ryan1234:

Vid- really appreciate all that you do for us!
    I feel bad asking more from you, but...
    Could you compile a "Vid's guide to getting a stubborn guy laid"

No problem.

1. Cockiness gets you the most chicks. It's not your car, ever.

2. Wear a dark, fully button up shirt that is NOT an office work shirt. While everyone else has on a tshirt with a stupid slogan, you will look like a cock master.

3. No Dockers. That is why your wife stopped having sex with you.

4. Chicks will notice your shoes before they even look at your face. If you are wearing boat shoes with no socks or sandals with socks, cut your penis off right now. A real man can wear combat boots or bright white sneakers with a suit, and own it; no problem.

5. Keep them laughing. If you are loud, funny, fun and tip like a sultan, you will get laid.

6. Tip 30% all night. When your date comments, you shrug "Eh, they have the hardest job in the world."

7. Never try to pick up a waitress or shot girl. They have heard every stupid line from every stupid guy, many who have much better delivery than you.

8. No daylight dates - ever. If she only suggests lunch dates, skip that one.

9. If she shows up for your first dinner date in pants, she is not serious about you. Chicks who want to impress you will always be in a dress or skirt.

10. Always stand about 1" too close to her. She needs to smell your pheromones if anything is going to happen.

11. If you want to do a stripper, get them from the day shift.

12. If a chick has 5 photos on OKCupid or Plentyofish and they are all just of her face and shoulders, she will weigh 300 lbs - every time.

#361 8 years ago
    Quoted from scampcamp:

Thanks tons! So... I shouldn't use Simple Green to get the thick dirt off at all? Just Naphtha?

Your old playfield is much too porous for water based cleaners.

#362 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

No problem.
    2. Wear a dark, fully button up shirt that is NOT an office work shirt. While everyone else has on a tshirt with a stupid slogan, you will look like a cock master.
    4. Chicks will notice your shoes before they even look at your face. If you are wearing boat shoes with no socks or sandals with socks, cut your penis off right now. A real man can own combat boots or bright white sneakers with a suit, no problem.
    5. Keep them laughing. If you are loud, funny, fun and tip like a sultan, you will get laid.
    6. Tip 30% all night. When your date comments, you shrug "Eh, they have the hardest job in the world."
    7. Never try to pick up a waitress or shot girl. They have heard every stupid line from every stupid guy, many who have much better delivery than you.
    9. If she shows up for your first dinner date in pants, she is not serious about you. Chicks who want to impress you will always be in a dress or skirt.
    10. Always stand about 1" too close to her. She needs to smell your pheromones if anything is going to happen.

#363 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

No problem.
    4. Chicks will notice your shoes before they even look at your face. If you are wearing boat shoes with no socks or sandals with socks, cut your penis off right now. A real man can own combat boots or bright white sneakers with a suit, no problem.
    12. If a chick has 5 photos on OKCupid or Plentyofish and they are all just of her face and shoulders, she will weigh 300 lbs - every time.

Nice! Vid has a guide for everything

#364 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

No problem.
    4. Chicks will notice your shoes before they even look at your face. If you are wearing boat shoes with no socks or sandals with socks, cut your penis off right now. A real man can wear combat boots or bright white sneakers with a suit, and own it; no problem.

I was having a crummy day until I read this.

#365 8 years ago

If only I had this advice 20 years ago!

#366 8 years ago
    Quoted from mcclad:

I was having a crummy day until I read this.

Yes, Vid1900 and many other Pinsiders can certainly pep up ones day.
    Pinside can be very therapeutic.

#368 8 years ago

Favorited! This is a great topic. Thanks Vid.

#369 8 years ago

Vid, I think its important to show how much wax is needed for a play field. It took me forever to figure out the right amount.

#370 8 years ago
    Quoted from the96stang:

Vid, I think its important to show how much wax is needed for a play field. It took me forever to figure out the right amount.

This much?

#372 8 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Last there was a post about difficult to reach areas, that require a tear down.
    I use a few items...a flexible piece of wood, a long plastic large straw. On either I wrap microfiber, rubberband, then cleaner...naptha, novus1 for others. (even a small piece of magic eraser)
    Ill get that into the back orbits and clean the ball line and extra dirt, then change out, as needed, to all the steps mentioned in thread.....
    Do you have other thoughts for this? Or have others created a tool for cleaning under ramps?

I'm also curious if there is a tool out there for this specifically.

Great thread, thanks for posting all this info in one place. Will be doing some shopping this week.

#373 8 years ago
    Quoted from the96stang:

I agree. I would like to see some "in process" pictures of wax being applied and what it looks like immediately, after frosting, after cleanup, etc. I'm not too concerned about what I've been doing but there are a ton of pictures in this thread and not much at all on the actual waxing technique itself despite it being so critical. Do you go heavier if you're trying to protect a planked area or chipping clear? What's a heavy coat of wax, anyways?

#374 8 years ago

Vid,

What do you use to clean and polish metal side rails and lock bars?

Bruce

#375 8 years ago
    Quoted from PinballFever:

What do you use to clean and polish metal side rails and lock bars?

I love never dull. It is a can of cotton wadding and polish. It work wonderful. It certainly will not regrain a lockbar or polish like a bench buffer but for smaller items it is my go to product.

#376 8 years ago
    Quoted from CNKay:

I love never dull. It is a can of cotton wadding and polish. It work wonderful.

Will give it a try. Thanks CNKay.

Bruce

#377 8 years ago

Try Mothers Aluminum Mag Polish.

#378 8 years ago

download (1).jpgdownload (1).jpgVid1900 - You seem to want to stay anonymous but are you really Shaggy from those Pinball repair dvd's? If so.. keep making them. And... where do you get those chicks that show up?... Church?

images.jpgimages.jpg

#379 8 years ago
    Quoted from Scout:

are you really Shaggy from those Pinball repair dvd's?

It's funny you say that because when I originally saw vid's guides I thought it might be Clay, but with a bit of review he's clearly not. Also there's the fact that Clay posts under "cfh" here on pinside.

#380 8 years ago

Anybody else use this on metals?image.jpegimage.jpeg
    I worked at a motorcycle dealership for a few years. Most sell it. Works really well on alum and stainless.

#381 8 years ago

I hope this isn't a dumb question but is VM&P Naphtha the same (safe/ok to use)as just plain Naphtha? 20150924_210816.jpg20150924_210816.jpg

#382 8 years ago

This is what Vid advised me to get. Had to order it online because they don't allow the local sale of it here in Utah. I'm going to use it to clean an old woodrail playfield.

Bruce

20150924_211341.jpg20150924_211341.jpg

#383 8 years ago

Ok... That eases my mind. I was just a little worried that being a thinner... It would take some paint off.

#384 8 years ago

wow! thanks, you helped me. I was thinking how to explain what I want to buy when looking for Naphta because in my language Naphta is crude oil and didn't want to end up with something to ruin the paint. Ordering online would be problem because I doubt they would ship that overseas and still would have the same what-is-it-actually?? problem with european supplies. it is further complicated because in my language benzene, benzin, petrol, gasoline are all synonyms.

so, to confirm:

is VP&M Naptha you mention same as this:
    oil paint thinner - used for thinning basic and enamel oil based lacquer and washing brushes, rollers and other painting equipment after use
    contains:
    1) heavy petrol (naptha), hydrodesulphated heavy, low boiling point hydroprocessed petrol
    2) ethanol

is it that?

can I use it to clean ball trails and grime off my heavily used 90s DMD playfield safely?

#385 8 years ago

It looks like our host took a vacation.

#386 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

It looks like our host took a vacation.

Is that allowed?
    -mof

#387 8 years ago
    Quoted from Ika:

is it that?

I've heard paint thinner is definitely NOT the same thing.

I'm in the same boat as you are, VM&P naptha is not available here in The Netherlands. Products that are available here and -i believe- are the same as VM&P naptha:

Coleman Fuel
    Zippo (or another brand) Lighter fluid
    Kelfort Cleaner

But please-please correct me if I'm wrong

#388 8 years ago

VID may've gotten hit with the new and improved banishment penalty.

Still, it makes me wonder how a petroleum distillate thinner is a good thing on playfields while other products that contain some PD are wicked.

#389 8 years ago

There was some discussion of which "naphtha" products to use and links to buy it in this topic which may help ease the confusion.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/40s-united-pinball-machine-cleaning-question

Be careful which one you get. Vid provides some excellent advice on using it in that topic.

Bruce

#390 8 years ago

we don't need brand names, since they can't be found over the pond, we need chemical ingredients and percentages to identify correct product analog in our markets.

#391 8 years ago
    Quoted from Ika:

we don't need brand names, since they can't be found over the pond, we need chemical ingredients and percentages to identify correct product analog in our markets.

It is naptha... that is the common chemical name, not a brand. Formally listed as 'Light aliphatic solvent naphtha'

Look at this spec sheet for more formal references (this is for the version sold in our home improvement stores)
    http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdfImages/bf/bfb9e5da-773d-4116-a279-b23cf9345aaf.pdf

Screen Shot 2015-09-25 at 9.59.53 AM.pngScreen Shot 2015-09-25 at 9.59.53 AM.png

#392 8 years ago
    Quoted from angryjeep:

Anybody else use this on metals?image.jpeg
    I worked at a motorcycle dealership for a few years. Most sell it. Works really well on alum and stainless.

I have been using this polish for a decade, the best metal polish i have ever used

#393 8 years ago

I think I didn't ask my question very well......

Is VM&P Naphtha ok (won't remove paint) to clean a pinball machine playfield like Naphtha is? I couldn't find just plain Naphtha.... just VM&P Naphtha.

#394 8 years ago
    Quoted from cody_chunn:

Still, it makes me wonder how a petroleum distillate thinner is a good thing on playfields while other products that contain some PD are wicked.

Depends on what type of petroleum distillate the product contains. Petroleum distillates range from strong solvents to products like petroleum jelly, styrofoam, mineral oil (used in a lot of cosmetics) and so on. You really can't make a blanket statement about whether they are good or bad for a specific application, but have to look at each one individually. Unfortunately most of the attitudes you hear about petroleum distillates are not based on facts.

http://www.protectall.com/artpetdist.aspx

Quoted from scampcamp:

Is VM&P Naphtha ok (won't remove paint) to clean a pinball machine playfield like Naphtha is? I couldn't find just plain Naphtha.... just VM&P Naphtha.

Yes.

#395 8 years ago
    Quoted from angryjeep:

Anybody else use this on metals?
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

Yes.. one day I went on amazon, looked for metal polish, and that one came up with nearly perfect ratings. Bought a small tube, it works wonders (in same cases, it'll remove minor pitting). Don't need much of it, but you'll be sad when you run out of it.

#396 8 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

Don't need much of it, but you'll be sad when you run out of it.

You know it is good when you try hard not to run out!

#397 8 years ago
    Quoted from CNKay:

I love never dull. It is a can of cotton wadding and polish. It work wonderful. It certainly will not regrain a lockbar or polish like a bench buffer but for smaller items it is my go to product.

This is all I use... shopped out many games with a single can, and unless there is physical damage to the metal they tend to come out better than new. I mean that literally, I've ordered replacement parts but by the time I was done polishing the old, I thought the originals looked better.

#398 8 years ago
    Quoted from mof:

Is that allowed?
    -mof

If you can sneak out quietly.

#399 8 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

Yes.. one day I went on amazon, looked for metal polish, and that one came up with nearly perfect ratings. Bought a small tube, it works wonders (in same cases, it'll remove minor pitting). Don't need much of it, but you'll be sad when you run out of it.

Do you use a buffer on your metal parts? or can you use a cloth?

#400 8 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

Do you use a buffer on your metal parts? or can you use a cloth?

Depending on the part, shape of it, and what sort of cleaning it needs, I use a mix of hand polishing, tumbling, and buffing. Basically, I will use whichever method gets me the best results in the least amount of time. The kind of shine you get also differs between techniques.

There are 2,210 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 45.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-and-waxing-pinball-machines-vids-guide/page/8 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.