4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 1,867 posts
  • 350 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 days ago by fiberdude120
  • Topic is favorited by 876 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 295 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_6681 (resized).jpg
    SDS_Info (resized).jpg
    20191220_100936 (resized).jpg
    20191220_100931 (resized).jpg
    D42A5BFF-7935-417E-B857-A1A8EC4678DE (resized).jpeg
    3679737D-6271-4698-86D7-9CB37B825470 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2394 (resized).jpeg
    20190615_102849 (resized).jpg
    dremel-specialty-hand-tools-pc10-01-64_1000 (resized).jpg
    949A33B7-ED5A-4ADC-9A23-2EDD4CE4444D (resized).jpeg
    nascar (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190514_173541 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    Screenshot_20190509-205529~2 (resized).png
    Screenshot_20190509-205649 (resized).png
    IMG_20190509_202119 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1867 posts in this topic. You are on page 38 of 38.
    #1851 19 days ago
    Quoted from bigchief99:

Hey, what ever happen to the original poster of this forum? Vzid1900. Has not been on in a while. Seems very helpful.

We would all like to know!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/where-s-vid

#1852 19 days ago
    Quoted from TXFireBall:

I have a '72 Fireball that is in pretty decent shape. I am not rehabbing the 'whole' game, but need/want to do a solid job cleaning and preserving the playfield.
    Please, Correct me if I'm wrong or in the wrong order or (Productive) give advice.....
    -Remove everything from PF
    -Clean with Compressed air, Shop Vac, and Naptha (Carefully w/ Magic Eraser) or should I use 99% isopropyl Alcohol?
    -Wax- Carnauba
    -install new lights (I got frosted warm white led)
    -Install All New bands
    -Install New Flippers
    -(Basically put everything back together)
    (((Any recommendations for cleaning glass, aside from windex, etc.)
    Anything to add, or 'must do's'??
    Thanks guys[quoted image]

I no longer use alcohol, it eats away at the clear coat. I go with naphta on a rag, maybe on a Magic Eraser on dirtier areas. If you really want to get rid of the ball swirl, alcohol will do it, but you need to be super careful since it does take off the clear coat.

I don't use compressed air, just a good vacuuming. I got a kit used to clean PC's that has some nice attachments to get into all the crevices.

All the other steps you list (LED's, bands, etc) I also do. Cleaning the plastics with Novus-1 will get them nice and shiny too. I also clean all the plastic posts with Krud Kutter, rinse them with water, and then dry them out.

#1853 19 days ago
    Quoted from Peruman:

I no longer use alcohol, it eats away at the clear coat. I go with naphta on a rag, maybe on a Magic Eraser on dirtier areas. If you really want to get rid of the ball swirl, alcohol will do it, but you need to be super careful since it does take off the clear coat.
    I don't use compressed air, just a good vacuuming. I got a kit used to clean PC's that has some nice attachments to get into all the crevices.
    All the other steps you list (LED's, bands, etc) I also do. Cleaning the plastics with Novus-1 will get them nice and shiny too. I also clean all the plastic posts with Krud Kutter, rinse them with water, and then dry them out.

As it's pretty old and an EM(don't know if that matters) it doesn't seem to have much/any clear coat on it. Saw where some people were spraying down with 'sprayMAX' to get some protection back on it?

#1854 19 days ago
    Quoted from bigchief99:

Hey, what ever happen to the original poster of this forum? Vzid1900. Has not been on in a while.

vid1900 no longer posts here for reasons unknown to most of us. His guides are invaluable. The technical area of Pinside owes a great deal to Vid. I wish him well no matter what he is up to these days.

#1855 16 days ago
    Quoted from TXFireBall:

I have a '72 Fireball that is in pretty decent shape. I am not rehabbing the 'whole' game, but need/want to do a solid job cleaning and preserving the playfield.
    Please, Correct me if I'm wrong or in the wrong order or (Productive) give advice.....
    -Remove everything from PF
    -Clean with Compressed air, Shop Vac, and Naptha (Carefully w/ Magic Eraser) or should I use 99% isopropyl Alcohol?
    -Wax- Carnauba
    -install new lights (I got frosted warm white led)
    -Install All New bands
    -Install New Flippers
    -(Basically put everything back together)
    (((Any recommendations for cleaning glass, aside from windex, etc.)
    Anything to add, or 'must do's'??
    Thanks guys[quoted image]

On really dirty glass I use naptha and a teflon scrubby with a razor scraper for tape residue, followed with dawn dishsoap in solution (1 oz/gallon water) and a scrubby, followed with sparkle glass cleaner.

#1856 16 days ago
    Quoted from TXFireBall:

As it's pretty old and an EM(don't know if that matters) it doesn't seem to have much/any clear coat on it. Saw where some people were spraying down with 'sprayMAX' to get some protection back on it?

The game has varnish on it, no clearcoat.
    Alcohol dissolves it dramatically, use caution.

After cleaning and touch ups maybe clearcoat over it (the best) or apply varathane (but it turns yellow).

#1857 14 days ago

Here's a question that has alluded me with my online research. I know that EM PF's were varnished not clear coated, my question is when did they make the switch when they first came out with SS or before? Did the early 80's SS pins all have CC PF's or is there a year they started clear coating SS pins? My Star Race 1980 and my Circus 1980 look different with Star Race looking like it was varnished but Circus looks CCed.

#1858 14 days ago

If the PF is in nice shape, just wax the shit out of it after cleaning and play! Your games aren't going to wear it down more. If it was getting 50+ games in an arcade a day, prob a different story

#1859 14 days ago
    Quoted from RWH:

Here's a question that has alluded me with my online research. I know that EM PF's were varnished not clear coated, my question is when did they make the switch when they first came out with SS or before? Did the early 80's SS pins all have CC PF's or is there a year they started clear coating SS pins? My Star Race 1980 and my Circus 1980 look different with Star Race looking like it was varnished but Circus looks CCed.

Clear coat is a 90's thing.

Funhouse had diamond plate on some of tbe games.

1989-1990

#1860 13 days ago

Well, in NEW headaches, removed bumpers and bands, I cleaned it, waxed it and put on new lights and bands; plugged it back in, and NOW......it keeps registering 1000pts being scored spastically.
    Any thoughts?
    (Sorry, I'm new)

#1861 13 days ago
    Quoted from TXFireBall:

Well, in NEW headaches, removed bumpers and bands, I cleaned it, waxed it and put on new lights and bands; plugged it back in, and NOW......it keeps registering 1000pts being scored spastically.
    Any thoughts?
    (Sorry, I'm new)

Stuck switch?

#1862 13 days ago
    Quoted from TXFireBall:

Any thoughts?
    (Sorry, I'm new)

One of your 1000-pt scoring switches is either stuck shut or almost closed so as you play it it's making contact and scoring. This happens often, either you bumped something during cleaning or the tighter new bands have closed a gap that before was open.

Figure out what scores 1000-pts and take it from there.

#1863 13 days ago
    Quoted from TXFireBall:

it keeps registering 1000pts being scored spastically.

Check the rollover switches in the lanes on the right. They can score 1000.
    If you find one that might be the problem you can put a piece of paper between the contacts to prevent it from registering.

#1864 10 days ago

I'm going to be cleaning my very first machine, a Surf n' Safari from 1991. It has the factory mylar on it but there is dust/grim trails along the plastic ramps, and the playfield doesn't appear to have ever been cleaned since 2001.

Does Vid ever say what would be recommended just to clean the mylar playfield and plastic ramps? Can water based solvents be used on mylar?

Based on what Vid said Magic Eraser and alcohol should only be used if clearcoating, which I won't be doing.

#1865 10 days ago

Find some naphtha and/or 100% alcohol. then nothing gets to wood.
    try some simple green if itll help get rid of grime, but then youre introducing water based cleaner.

#1866 10 days ago

Novus 2 and good ole fashioned elbow grease should work great. Then wax afterwards.

#1867 10 days ago

I sure wouldnt use any water based cleaner.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 109.99
    $ 395.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    M&M Mods
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 27.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 7,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    € 8.10
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 14.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Boards
    German-Pinball-Modular
    $ 9.99
    $ 1,099.00
    $ 235.00
    Boards
    RS Technologies
    $ 50.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Back Alley Creations
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 35.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    3D MODS
    $ 47.00
    There are 1867 posts in this topic. You are on page 38 of 38.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside