3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 1,566 posts
  • 310 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 47 days ago by wiggy07
  • Topic is favorited by 771 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 270 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

gtb-d11966c (resized).jpg
    IMG_3560 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20181010-025853 (resized).png
    Screenshot_20181010-025957 (resized).png
    fullPF (resized).jpg
    waterNcrap2 (resized).jpg
    lowerPF2 (resized).jpg
    20180620_202709_Film1 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180601_231232460 (resized).jpg
    Before (resized).png
    IMG_20180525_184154293 (resized).jpg
    F55C0D93-D3D9-4D0D-9136-9237BA7E392F (resized).jpeg
    67A156DC-15DF-4261-B03A-68E7D4D1507C (resized).jpeg
    1DFDD448-FCB3-46E1-ABA8-A6D09B8B4727 (resized).png
    IMG_20180406_191039020 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180406_193105674 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1566 posts in this topic. You are on page 32 of 32.
    #1551 3 months ago
    Quoted from JCNP:

Do you think the 4 mil mylar is too thick, will it create a problem?

It's ok for shooter lanes and possibly other areas as long as the ball doesn't hang on an edge.

#1552 3 months ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

WD40 works pretty good, and dries off well enough in a pinch.
    All this ball cleaning info is from the times you get fresh balls that are dripping wet with heavy oil on them.
    Degreasing will be what is needed then.
    Also I buy balls 50-100 at a time and oil them with motor oil to keep them fresh in storage.
    I just spray them off with brake cleaner and wipe with a rag before use.
    Buy balls in bulk, its better to replace them too often, than not often enough.

Thanks for your help also. Yes I will bath a lot of Steel tools and things that get rusty and just letting them soak in oil for a month or so. Brings them back to life .

#1553 3 months ago

I just got my machine and have played a few games, but realized after reading this I need to do a teardown and a waxing to ensure I don't wear out the playfield. When I do the shop job, what should I use to clean the individual parts? I assume once I've stripped the playfield of everything, is that when i should use the wax?

#1554 3 months ago
    Quoted from tbaum:

I just got my machine and have played a few games, but realized after reading this I need to do a teardown and a waxing to ensure I don't wear out the playfield.

You need to wax anywhere the ball touches, so don't teardown the machine unless you WANT to do a teardown.

Quoted from tbaum:

When I do the shop job, what should I use to clean the individual parts?

Every part is different.

Metal parts you might polish if they can be seen by the player.

Unpainted plastic parts usually go in the dishwasher.

Faded star posts go in the garbage.

Worn parts like pop bodies, yokes and skits go in the garbage.

All the rubber goes in the garbage.

All coil sleeves go in the garbage.

Quoted from tbaum:

I assume once I've stripped the playfield of everything, is that when i should use the wax?

It's your one big chance to wax the entire playfield, an get rid of all the hidden abrasive dust hiding everywhere.

-

But remember, you can wax without a complete teardown!

#1555 3 months ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

This was the best advice I heard a long while ago. I had just gotten a NIB Star Trek Pro and wanted to preserve it but was terrified of a full tear down. It is not necessary for a new game if you don't want to. You can just wax the areas that you can reach.

Now, if you have an older game that is really dirty and hasn't been waxed in ages, like the X-Files I picked up last year, than a full tear down, cleaning and waxing can make a huge difference.

#1556 3 months ago

And NEVER order replacement parts until you are done with the actual teardown.

You always find more broken or worn parts....

#1557 3 months ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

You need to wax anywhere the ball touches, so don't teardown the machine unless you WANT to do a teardown.

Every part is different.
    Metal parts you might polish if they can be seen by the player.
    Unpainted plastic parts usually go in the dishwasher.
    Faded star posts go in the garbage.
    Worn parts like pop bodies, yokes and skits go in the garbage.
    All the rubber goes in the garbage.
    All coil sleeves go in the garbage.

It's your one big chance to wax the entire playfield, an get rid of all the hidden abrasive dust hiding everywhere.
    -

This is great thanks! Any suggestions on where to buy coil sleeves? I just bought a complete set of titan rubbers to replace them.

#1558 3 months ago
    Quoted from tbaum:

This is great thanks! Any suggestions on where to buy coil sleeves? I just bought a complete set of titan rubbers to replace them.

Pinballlife.com, and it’s close to you.

#1559 3 months ago
    Quoted from luckymoey:

Pinballlife.com, and it’s close to you.

Thanks! I was looking under here for Fish Tales coil sleeves https://www.pinballlife.com/wmsbally-lookup-database.html but do they have a different name (new to this)

#1560 3 months ago

Coil sleeves are universal. Just need different lengths. Your manual will give you part numbers. Marcospecialties.com may have a coil kit, but it'll be more $ then buying individual coils

#1561 3 months ago
    Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

Coil sleeves are universal. Just need different lengths. Your manual will give you part numbers. Marcospecialties.com may have a coil kit, but it'll be more $ then buying individual coils

Sorry this is a dumb question, but is there another name for the sleeves? I see coil tubing, coil assembly, and coil bracket in the manual. Is it one of these?

#1562 3 months ago

No dumb questions! Coil tubing is what they are calling coil sleeves.

#1563 3 months ago
    Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

No dumb questions! Coil tubing is what they are calling coil sleeves.

Awesome thanks that really helps.

2 months later
    #1564 48 days ago

Thanks Vid for all the advice you have given over the years. I'm new to Pinside and have found all the essential advice more than often leads back to your involvement. I've just got my first pin and the cleaning and waxing products you have recommended work great. It's worthwhile taking the advice of people who contribute a lot to these forums as it saves time and money experimenting. You guys have already been down the path some of us are starting on.

I had a hard time sourcing the Blitz Wax from the USA to Australia so when I eventually got some I bought an extra tub to avoid the future inconvenience. The biggest barrier is the shipping to Australia and you can't buy direct from the manufacturer.

To my surprise, the tubs are huge and it seems to go along way and it works as you have described. So for all those newbies reading this thread, I have an extra tub brand new unopened and I'd be happy to part with it if you're in Australia and like me can't get your hands on it easily.

#1565 47 days ago
    Quoted from Plungeroo:

Thanks Vid for all the advice you have given over the years. I'm new to Pinside and have found all the essential advice more than often leads back to your involvement. I've just got my first pin and the cleaning and waxing products you have recommended work great. It's worthwhile taking the advice of people who contribute a lot to these forums as it saves time and money experimenting. You guys have already been down the path some of us are starting on.
    I had a hard time sourcing the Blitz Wax from the USA to Australia so when I eventually got some I bought an extra tub to avoid the future inconvenience. The biggest barrier is the shipping to Australia and you can't buy direct from the manufacturer.
    To my surprise, the tubs are huge and it seems to go along way and it works as you have described. So for all those newbies reading this thread, I have an extra tub brand new unopened and I'd be happy to part with it if you're in Australia and like me can't get your hands on it easily.

Maybe post an ad in the marketplace?

#1566 47 days ago

This is how I wax and clean my games. When cleaning the playfield, I will clean the mechanisms under the playfield and also the rubbers and cabinet.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 50.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Just 3D Mods
    $ 19.95
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 64.00
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 45.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Mods for your pinballs
    $ 45.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Great American Pinball
    $ 36.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    Hardware
    Bright Lights Pinball
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 999.00
    $ 7.95
    Various Novelties
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 6.35
    Cabinet - Decals
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 14.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 117.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 209.99
    $ 96.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 14.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    There are 1566 posts in this topic. You are on page 32 of 32.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside