4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 1,803 posts
  • 338 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by pinballinreno
  • Topic is favorited by 818 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 291 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

D42A5BFF-7935-417E-B857-A1A8EC4678DE (resized).jpeg
    3679737D-6271-4698-86D7-9CB37B825470 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2394 (resized).jpeg
    20190615_102849 (resized).jpg
    dremel-specialty-hand-tools-pc10-01-64_1000 (resized).jpg
    949A33B7-ED5A-4ADC-9A23-2EDD4CE4444D (resized).jpeg
    nascar (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190514_173541 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    Screenshot_20190509-205529~2 (resized).png
    Screenshot_20190509-205649 (resized).png
    IMG_20190509_202119 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190509_202136 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190509_193108 (resized).jpg
    20190331_212120[3433].jpg
    20190331_211439[3432].jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1803 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 37.
    #551 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Might be time for a $7 trip to Harbor Freight for a micro brush attachment kit, better safe than sorry:
    image_25267_(resized).jpg

I can't find this set on the HFT website.

#552 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Might be time for a $7 trip to Harbor Freight for a micro brush attachment kit, better safe than sorry:
    image_25267_(resized).jpg

I can not find that vacuum set on the HFT website??

#554 3 years ago
    Quoted from PeterG:

Great topic, love to hear from some experienced pinheads what they think is best. used mill wax but will throw that in the trash right away. Problem is how do you get one grand blitz wax in Europe? I only see one seller on Amazon. Where do you buy that stuff? I will be heading to the US in May maybe pick up some there but before going on a wild goose chase on auto stores who will all try to sell me something similar.... Any suggestions?

I should be in CZ in June if i can help.

#555 3 years ago

Before cleaning

IMG_0385_(resized).JPG

#556 3 years ago

after naphtha cleaning. Now just waiting for Novus 2 and wax.

IMG_0389_(resized).JPG

#557 3 years ago

Just in case people need the proper perspective for the HF micro vacuum attachments.

IMG_0681_(resized).JPG

Public service announcement: Remember, perspective matters!

#558 3 years ago

You can save a lot of time by masking off posts and rubbers with masking tape, before waxing. Sorry if this was already mentioned.

#559 3 years ago
    Quoted from Strummy:

I should be in CZ in June if i can help.

Well thanks, going to try to get some delivered to my hotel next May. Hope that works. CZ is still about 1000 miles from holland so droppigng by is not an option

#560 3 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

You can save a lot of time by masking off posts and rubbers with masking tape, before waxing.

I found that the Blitz didn't haze up like other waxes so I could bump up against posts without issues.

#561 3 years ago

Alternatively, that vacuum nozzle set is $8.68 shipped on Amazon at the moment:

amazon.com link »

#562 3 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

Just in case people need the proper perspective for the HF micro vacuum attachments.
    IMG_0681_(resized).JPG
    Public service announcement: Remember, perspective matters!

Do you mean scale?

#563 3 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Do you mean scale?

I think both words work in context, but I agree with you that scale would have been more precise.

#564 3 years ago

Blitzed another one

IMG_20160409_193915468_(resized).jpg

#565 3 years ago

I'm shopping a game with lightly stained Titan rings that are otherwise fine, I don't want to throw them out and want to reuse them among new bright white rings. How to I clean these back to pure white? The game has been in a heavy smoke environment for about 2 years. The installed ring is normal rubber, the one on the left is a smoke stained silicone ring.

bbf6cb19435eaf8d8cea3daa47a001e15adf7a77_(1)_(resized).jpg

#566 3 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

I'm shopping a game with lightly stained Titan rings that are otherwise fine, I don't want to throw them out and want to reuse them among new bright white rings. How to I clean these back to pure white? The game has been in a heavy smoke environment for about 2 years. The installed ring is normal rubber, the one on the left is a smoke stained silicone ring.

Try something simple like alcohol or Fantastic.

You are in some uncharted territory, so please share your results.

#567 3 years ago

Alcohol did nothing so far. I did hear Fantastik does work though, will try that.

#568 3 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Alcohol did nothing so far. I did hear Fantastik does work though, will try that.

Or you put new ones on it.

#569 3 years ago

Why when they can be cleaned and reused? They are perfect except for this.

#572 3 years ago

I would try cleaning with some basic soaps, dish soap, simple green and move to stronger ones.

Pinballlife sells a cleaner that works great on standard white rubbers.

#573 3 years ago

How about CP200? Or that pinguard rubber cleaner stuff.

#574 3 years ago

In America, there is a great whitewall cleaner for tires, Westleys Bleche-Wite. Fantastic should also work. It is also possible that Novus 3 or 2 will clean of rubbers. Solvents will shorten the life of the rubber rings, use sparingly.

#575 3 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

Solvents will shorten the life of the rubber rings, use sparingly.

Silicone rings, like Titan, are inert. That's why Silicone "rubber" is used for jaw and knee implants.

Ask anyone who ever repaired an aquarium, and tried to use "Caulk Remover"; Silicone just laughs at stuff like that.

Regular rubber rings, on the other hand, can be damaged by many chemicals.

#576 3 years ago

What kind of playfield coatings do we find on Data East, Star Wars in particular? I am cleaning and shopping mine, the playfield is dull in high traffic areas and I wonder what kind of clear coat it has.

#577 3 years ago

I soaked the Titan silicone rings in a 50% bleach/water solution for about 20 hours and they cleaned up 100%. Not a trace of brown smoke stains anywhere I can see!

image_(resized).jpg

I would still like to find something I can wipe on existing rings when moving a game from a smokey location to a clean one though.

image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg

#578 3 years ago

After cleaning the playfield with Simple Green on a microfiber cloth, do you need to do anything else before waxing?

Someone at the pinball show used a non-ammonia based window cleaner after the simple green to "remove any simple green residue".

Is this necessary or can I just use simple green on a microfiber cloth to clean the playfield, make sure it's dry (no residue), then use a new clean microfiber cloth to wax (blitz brand) the playfield?

#579 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Try something simple like alcohol or Fantastic.
    You are in some uncharted territory, so please share your results.

Try Naphtha (at Home Depot). It's amazing.

#580 3 years ago

I still want to try Naptha.

#581 3 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

I still want to try Naptha.

It's also sold as "Camping Fuel" or "Lighter Fluid", usually at a fraction of the price of the stuff labelled as "Naphtha".

#582 3 years ago
    Quoted from bigbadmiker:

After cleaning the playfield with Simple Green on a microfiber cloth, do you need to do anything else before waxing?
    Someone at the pinball show used a non-ammonia based window cleaner after the simple green to "remove any simple green residue".
    Is this necessary or can I just use simple green on a microfiber cloth to clean the playfield, make sure it's dry (no residue), then use a new clean microfiber cloth to wax (blitz brand) the playfield?

Naptha would leave no residue behind.

#583 3 years ago

Are applicator pads the best option for applying blitz? I find they work fine for the main areas, but I struggle with the harder to reach places and tend to get wax on the plastics and other places I don't want.

Should I use just a regular microfiber cloth for those smaller areas, or is there a better alternative?

#584 3 years ago

Any soft, lint free cloth is fine.

I've seen one op use those foam makeup applicator wedges too

#585 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Any soft, lint free cloth is fine.
    I've seen one op use those foam makeup applicator wedges too

Oooo. Good call. My wife has tons of those.

#586 3 years ago

I use 1" foam paint brushes for the inlanes and other tight spots.

#587 3 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Are applicator pads the best option for applying blitz? I find they work fine for the main areas, but I struggle with the harder to reach places and tend to get wax on the plastics and other places I don't want.
    Should I use just a regular microfiber cloth for those smaller areas, or is there a better alternative?

Finger inside a cotton cloth.. works fine

Also remember, don't worry so much about all the way to the edge... the ball never touches the surface directly below an edge where the ball makes contact.

#588 3 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Finger inside a cotton cloth.. works fine
    Also remember, don't worry so much about all the way to the edge... the ball never touches the surface directly below an edge where the ball makes contact.

The only thing that bugs me about a cloth is that I have trouble not getting the wax everywhere haha. I just like to get a little at the start of the ramps and a tad bit up the orbits.

#589 3 years ago

What should I do if I want to switch to carnuba wax, like Blitz, and there has been Milwax applied previously? I thought I read somewhere that the carnuba wax will not apply good if there is a silicone layer. Just wipe of with simply green and get to waxing?

#590 3 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

I soaked the Titan silicone rings in a 50% bleach/water solution for about 20 hours and they cleaned up 100%. Not a trace of brown smoke stains anywhere I can see!
    image_(resized).jpg
    I would still like to find something I can wipe on existing rings when moving a game from a smokey location to a clean one though.
    image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg

I would try the Bleche-White.

#591 3 years ago
    Quoted from yuriijos:

What should I do if I want to switch to carnuba wax, like Blitz, and there has been Milwax applied previously? I thought I read somewhere that the carnuba wax will not apply good if there is a silicone layer. Just wipe of with simply green and get to waxing?

Naptha.

#592 3 years ago

So, this week I purchased my very first pin (TZ). I spent a good chunk of today cleaning, waxing, and installing new balls (even the powerball), and thanks to this thread it turned out great!. Thanks Vid and everyone for the great advice!

Now the question becomes, to mylar or not to mylar? There are some spots on the playfield that have mylar installed from the factory, but I found the kit below that covers the majority of the main playfield:

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-8870

I did a quick search and didn't really find any in-depth discussion on the pros and cons of mylar. Any thoughts?

P.S. I purchased that little vacuum kit and I have tip that others might want to use. I didn't want to tear down the whole upper playfield to clean and wax the upper spiral loop, so I took the hose from the vacuum kit and jammed a microfiber cloth in one end and wound the rest of the cloth around the tube. Voilà a spiral loop snake for cleaning and waxing. It did a surprisingly good job.

#593 3 years ago
    Quoted from No_Skill:

Now the question becomes, to mylar or not to mylar?

If you are good about waxing and putting new balls in, you might be OK.

The game always wears by the nose of the rocket, so you might want to put a spot there.

#594 3 years ago

Is that totally necessary? I too had previously used a silicone wax. I did mine with Novus 1 and then put Blitz one Grand on them. I'm pretty happy with the results. Just curious.

#595 3 years ago
    Quoted from Strummy:

Is that totally necessary? I too had previously used a silicone wax. I did mine with Novus 1 and then put Blitz one Grand on them. I'm pretty happy with the results. Just curious.

The wax doesn't go on as well if there's silicone on the playfield, but more importantly if someone goes to clear coat the playfield in the future any silicone will trash the clear job. So not mandatory, but probably a good idea.

You can see examples of this in Vid's playfield restoration guide.

#597 3 years ago

Isn't there anything else besides Naptha? These are brand new games so I will never need to clear coat.

#598 3 years ago

Naptha is the only solvent I'm aware of that will dissolve silicon. Although I'm sure there's stronger, professional grade stuff that will. Naptha is really a fairly mild solvent and personally I would have no problem using it on a new game. On the other hand I would never put Milwax on a new, or old, game.

#599 3 years ago

Ok where can I buy some?

#600 3 years ago

Any hardware store, unless you have the dumbass VOC laws like they do in CA. If you do you can get it from some outdoor stores. Coleman lantern fuel is the same thing (100% Naptha).

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 8,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    PinballSTAR Amusements
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 18.95
    $ 26.95
    $ 180.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Customs
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 32.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 72.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinWorlds
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 36.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 0.35
    $ 54.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Pimp
    £ 49.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    RGP Models
    $ 35.00
    Hardware
    Filament Printing
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 129.00
    Displays
    Pappy's Pinball Palace
    There are 1803 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 37.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside