(Topic ID: 109842)

Cleaning and polishing: help me build a solid workflow

By westofrome

9 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 years ago

I'm tearing down machines for the first time and trying to come up with a workflow for cleaning/polishing everything. I'd like to get feedback on the following workflows.

Small metal parts (hardware, brackets, plungers, etc.). I know a lot of folks put these in tumblers to polish. Before tumbling, do you 1) soak in evaporust first 2) run through ultrasonic cleaner 3) both? Any tips on how you keep track of the parts you're tumbling?

large metal parts (lockdown bar and reciever, legs, etc). I know many folks polish using a table buffer/grinder. How to clean first - soak in evaporust? Use metal cleaner and a shop towel?

small plastic parts (flipper bats, playfield plastics, etc.) Throw in ultrasonic cleaner - any other tips? Best agents to use?

large plastic parts (ramps) Some folks run cold in the dishwasher. Any better ideas?

Thanks much-

#2 9 years ago

Small metal parts I run through one cycle in the ultra sonic then tumbler then buff if necessary. I write down and take pictures of what goes in. Also I keep things separate by section of the pf

Large metal parts if I'm going to buff I clean first then sand and buff. Depending on the condition determines what grit I start with generally end up at 1500. Pinball mike d has a good video in his monster bash resto where he documents the steps on how to prep and buff parts. If money is no object send out to be plated.

Plastic posts go into the ultra sonic. I don't put anything in there that has artwork in it.

Plastics sets I use simple green. Ramps get flamed polished after a good cleaning with simple green and novus to remove all dirt

#3 9 years ago

Pretty much what nutshell said. Take too many pictures. All of the pictures. Fill up your device storage with pictures of things assembled, disassembled showing what screws go where, how things are stacked etc. I took maybe 30 pictures when tearing down my first games, about 350 for my latest game. When I reassembled it, nothing was left over! Can't wait to get a TZ and see how many pictures of screws I have in the end.

I use Purple Power or Mean Green mixed 50/50 with water in my ultrasonic. People use a lot of solutions, check the thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ultrasonic-cleaners

Also I just replace flipper bats on all my games, they're cheap enough.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-and-polishing-help-me-build-a-solid-workflow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.