Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by KenLayton
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

P5240002 (resized).JPG
    #1 6 years ago

I haven't seen this covered before. Is there a way to clean a transformer without damaging the insulation of the copper windings? At first I thought acetone, but I think it will break down the insulation.

#2 6 years ago

Windings are magnet wire, and typically they're lacqured or varnished. Acetone will absolutely remove either of those and then you've killed the winding.

What are you trying to achieve?

#3 6 years ago
    Quoted from Majdi:

Windings are magnet wire, and typically they're lacqured or varnished. Acetone will absolutely remove either of those and then you've killed the winding.
    What are you trying to achieve?

I restore early solid state games, usually to CQ quality. Obviously I can't buy a new transformer but want to make them look new. They are hard to find as it is and don't want to ruin any.

#5 6 years ago

SMALL amounts of soap and water and a toothbrush - afterwards, 2 or 3 hours in the sun

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from jorro:

» YouTube video

HAHA! But I don't think it will work on this...

P5240002 (resized).JPGP5240002 (resized).JPG

#7 6 years ago

I would use a soft wire brush on the laminations.

#8 6 years ago

personally, I wouldn't screw with it to much. You run the risk of really screwing things up. You could spray it off with water and leave it dry for days on end.

#9 6 years ago

The well aged, glued, waxed, and thoroughly baked kraft paper around that thing is not going to take a wire brush.

Worse, wire brushing even the laminated iron core is going to get filings down around the windings, and then we'll find out (the hard way) if there's any gaps in the insulation. I wouldn't risk spraying water on it for the same reasons, even if you think it's dry afterwards. That is also going to rust the core.

I strongly advise doing no more than wiping it off very gently with a slightly damp (dry damp really) rag.

#10 6 years ago

How about some rubbing alcohol and a non metallic brush?

#11 6 years ago

I'm facing the same thing
    I'm going to give it a light brush and live with it not being clean

#12 6 years ago

Let me clarify what I mean:

I would take a wire brush to the OUTSIDE, STEEL laminations ONLY

Then I would use a toothbrush and warm soapy water to clean the paper and windings

Then I would leave it to dry for a day or so in the sun

Then I would give it a coat of clear lacquer.

#13 6 years ago

Alcohol of any kind is out.

It's very likely the varnish on the windings is lacquer, shellac, or classic enamel. Shellac is traditionally made by grinding up the secretions of lac insects, and...putting it into solution with alcohol. If you need to thin it, you use more alcohol. And as it dries, the alcohol evaporates and the finish hardens up

Lacquer may be made with shellac, or it can be entirely synthetic...but even the synthetic lacquers can be at least clouded or thinned, if not outright stripped with alcohol.

Even classic enamel (oleoresinous enamel) insulation on magnet wire is based around the use of some kind of solvent -- either alcohol or petroleum distillate. You won't know which until you use the wrong one on the transformer.

This is why I recommend you leave it alone -- older transformers are not solvent safe, period. Even many new ones will not be (although some of the new film type magnet wire insulation is pretty tough.)

Anyway, said my piece on this one...the choice is yours. But now you understand my reasoning.

#14 6 years ago

Wipe the outside metal plates down with a damp cloth to remove accumulated grime, scuff sand with 180 or 220 grit and paint with flat black. I scrub the harnesses with a toothbrush turning the transformer on its side and work with the harness facing down so moisture doesn't get to the windings. New card stock can be laminated to the funky brown paper If need be but I usually leave it alone.

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from Skins:

Wipe the outside metal plates down with a damp cloth to remove accumulated grime, scuff sand with 180 or 220 grit and paint with flat black. I scrub the harnesses with a toothbrush turning the transformer on its side and work with the harness facing down so moisture doesn't get to the windings. New card stock can be laminated to the funky brown paper If need be but I usually leave it alone.

That's typically what I do. I always try to start with a decent example to start with. But I will mostly stay with Majdi's advice and do as little as possible. At the most, maybe hit with some compressed air to blow the crap off the top of the windings.

#16 6 years ago

I take a dry paint brush and air compressor to it and knock off most of the crap that's on it. Then I go over the metal laminations with a brass bristled "detail" wire brush after first writing down the white stenciled Bally part numbers that are stenciled on it (E-xxx-xx). Then I spray paint the laminations with semi-flat Krylon spray paint and write the original Bally stenciled part number on the kraftboard with a Sharpie marker.

I never, ever get the transformer wet. You're just asking for trouble if you do get it wet in my opinion.

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

I take a dry paint brush and air compressor to it and knock off most of the crap that's on it. Then I go over the metal laminations with a brass bristled "detail" wire brush after first writing down the white stenciled Bally part numbers that are stenciled on it (E-xxx-xx). Then I spray paint the laminations with semi-flat Krylon spray paint and write the original Bally stenciled part number on the kraftboard with a Sharpie marker.
    I never, ever get the transformer wet. You're just asking for trouble if you do get it wet in my opinion.

Have you ever tried to re-stencil the numbers back?

#18 6 years ago

How about some pine-sol and a paint brush to get the dirt off

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from Lovef2k:

Have you ever tried to re-stencil the numbers back?

No, but I carefully hand draw the numbers back with a white Sharpie paint marker (get them at Hobby Lobby).

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-a-transformer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.