Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20200725_204105.jpg
20200725_204057.jpg
20200725_204052.jpg
20200725_204043.jpg
buff.jpg
20200725_195225.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hydrogenhuman.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

I know Naptha is praised for being great at cleaning EMs and machines in general, but here's the thing; it is far too hazardous for my personal taste. The few times I've used it I got an instant headache throughout the day.

On top of that I'm in a enclosed basement near the gas furnace.

So my question is: Is there really no other effective way to clean a playfield without damaging it, and keeping myself safe health wise?

So far I know of alcohol and magic eraser, along with Novus 2. Are there any other possible alternatives? I just can't compromise my health and safety.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from pinheadpierre:

What are you trying to achieve? Naphtha is great for stripping wax without stripping old clearcoat or paint. Alcohol is fairly aggressive in terms of dissolving many paints, inks and clearcoats. Novus 2 and magic eraser each do a good job of removing ground in grit because they are abrasive, especially magic eraser which is roughly equivalent to something in the neighborhood of 1200 grit sandpaper if I remember correctly.
If you’re not planning on restoring and clearcoating the playfield, stay away from alcohol and magic eraser. Basic cleaning is easily done by vaccuuming, light use of Novus 2 in heavily soiled areas followed by carnuba paste wax. Stick with Blitz or something similar with a high carnuba content and ZERO silicone content for waxing.

I'm looking to clear the dirt and grime off of the playfield on my Sky Jump. It has some tough areas from years and years of dirt and grime build up.

#6 3 years ago

So I tried Naptha as I explained, and I tried Novus 2, but I still wasn't getting good results for cleaning.

So I tried using the Alcohol + Magic Eraser on a spot, and it did do a great job cleaning!

However, now I have a problem. The white residue doesn't seem to disappear even when trying to remove it with Naptha. Not sure what is going on there.

20200725_195225.jpg20200725_195225.jpg
#7 3 years ago

I was able to buff it out with Novus 2, and a loooot of elbow grease, phew!

buff.jpgbuff.jpg
#9 3 years ago
Quoted from pincity:

Just be careful if you’re not planning to clearcoat, as my understanding is that alcohol will dissolve the lacquer coating that’s on older playfields.

Yes I am trying to be cautious with it. My plan was to wax it afterward, unless that's ineffective compared to clearcoat.

The current issue I'm seeing on this machine is I think all these dark "veins" and "cracks" on the playfield is the lacquer coming apart or wearing out. You can see it on the left on the previous picture.

#12 3 years ago

What happened is that the alcohol dissolved the old lacquer clearcoat. The sacrificial white melamine (magic eraser) got mixed with the dissolved lacquer. You didn’t remove 100% of the lacquer so it partially reset. You were able to grind it out with the lesser grit of the Novus 2. Again, if you’re not going to reclear an old game STAY AWAY FROM ALCOHOL. Trust me on this. You’ll regret it in a few years. Don’t ask me how I know....

How would I be able to remove those weird trails of dirt/grime then? Naptha doesn't seem to do anything to it, neither does Novus 2.

#14 3 years ago

Let’s see a picture.

Here, I took several to show what I'm seeing.

20200725_204043.jpg20200725_204043.jpg20200725_204052.jpg20200725_204052.jpg20200725_204057.jpg20200725_204057.jpg20200725_204105.jpg20200725_204105.jpg
#17 3 years ago

I’m sorry but you can’t clean that out. What you’re looking at is old lacquer and ink which has cracked all the way to the wood due to years of expansion and contraction. The dirt is on the wood in the cracks. If you scrubbed it enough to make a difference, you would absolutely need to reclear it and even then it wouldn’t be totally gone. My recommendation is a light cleaning with Novus 2 for surface grime. Then wax it and enjoy it. Maybe someday you’ll be ambitious to undertake a repaint, but until then forget about trying to clean that away!

Well, lesson learned removing the topcoat on that one spot. What should I do about that one spot since it doesn't have that protection anymore?

#19 3 years ago

I’m sorry but you can’t clean that out. What you’re looking at is old lacquer and ink which has cracked all the way to the wood due to years of expansion and contraction. The dirt is on the wood in the cracks. If you scrubbed it enough to make a difference, you would absolutely need to reclear it and even then it wouldn’t be totally gone. My recommendation is a light cleaning with Novus 2 for surface grime. Then wax it and enjoy it. Maybe someday you’ll be ambitious to undertake a repaint, but until then forget about trying to clean that away!

Also I will be honest; My intention was to clean it, do some touch up on the backglass, and just get it working nicely to then eventually trade up or sell. This will be after I enjoy it for a while of course!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Santa Rosa, CA
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist

1,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hydrogenhuman.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-a-playfield-without-using-naptha?tu=hydrogenhuman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.