Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by rstrunks
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Does anyone have any suggestions on cleaning the back of a Bally backglass? I have a pretty much perfect backglass but it is really dirty on back. I tried to clean an early Williams backglass a few years ago and used a cleaner..... I was really sorry I tried! Any cleaning suggestions or is the best advice to leave it alone.

#2 7 years ago

Leave it alone by a landslide, IMO.

#3 7 years ago

I have done it but you have to be super careful. Very small amount of windex on a blue shop towel just to remove what I could. Applied to rag and not the backglass.

#4 7 years ago

Would soapy water be any worse than a cleaning solution?

#5 7 years ago

The best and safest solution I have used mutiple times is Black Magic Bleach Wite.

Just spray onto a clean towel and gently wipe. Those years of smoke dirt and grime come right off. I then follow up with a non-ammonia foam glass cleaner.

They turn out looking like new again!

Don

#6 7 years ago

I have had luck and good results with isopropyl alcohol at 70% (no more). Apply the alcohol on a very soft paper tissue and wipe delicately the back of the backglass. The dirt will stay on the tissue and you will be amazed by the clarity and light coming out of the clean backglass. Change the tissue often and go slow and gently.

I usually finish the process by sealing the clean glass with "triple thick" clear coat by Krylon. When doing the Triple Thick application, you must put regular transparent/magic tape on the clear section of the backglass (score windows). Otherwise, the Clear Coat will not be completely transparent and will disturb the reading of the scores. Of course, that transparent/magic tape must be removed immediately after applying the clear coat and before it dries out. A fine razor blade is ideal for this work. It takes a lot of care to do it well, but it is worth it.

The front can of course be cleaned with any glass cleaner as long as you do not spill it in the back.

Yves

#7 7 years ago

If the glass is truly perfect be overly careful or leave it alone. You risk damaging a backglass that could be impossible to replace. I doubt the dirt shows anyway.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays
$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Electronics
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 45.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Electronics
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-a-bally-ss-backglass and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.