(Topic ID: 151452)

Cleaning 44 bulb sockets, whats your method?

By GreenMachine19

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by CNKay
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Nail_dremel_(resized).jpg
socket_stick_medium_(resized).jpg
20140828_171939_(resized).jpg
Dremel_Grinding_Stone_Aluminum_Oxide_Grinding_Stones,_Grinding_and_Sharpen__(EN)_r19845v15_(resized).jpg

#1 3 years ago

I have been using 50/50 CLR and water. I dunk them in for a minute or two and wash out with alcohol. This turns that white oxidation right back to bare metal. Interested in hearing any other methods out there.

#2 3 years ago

Light socket cleaning stick for the inside.

http://www.pbresource.com/tools.html#Tools

Quick scotchbright to the outside.

If its too much trouble I'm replacing it.

#3 3 years ago

One second with this Dremmel tip and she's clean for another 40 years.

Dremel_Grinding_Stone_Aluminum_Oxide_Grinding_Stones,_Grinding_and_Sharpen__(EN)_r19845v15_(resized).jpg

#4 3 years ago

Yep. Vids dremmel tool. Few seconds per socket. Done.

#5 3 years ago

What type of attachment (bit) do you use with the Dremel tool?

#6 3 years ago

That is a picture of it. The little drum sander.

#7 3 years ago

Just keep in mind how aggressive using the tool will be and keep it very, very brief!

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

Just keep in mind how aggressive using the tool will be and keep it very, very brief!

Variable speed drills & dremmel tools help

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Variable speed drills & dremmel tools help

Shh! You're a moderator now. Your opinion isn't wanted here.

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Shh! You're a moderator now. Your opinion isn't wanted here.

#11 3 years ago

Ban him! Better yet Banish Him!!!!

#12 3 years ago

I've tried wire pipe cleaners with the dremel, scotch brite, toothbrush and purple power. This is just something I tried out of the blue and it works great. Especially inside where the little spring is. It just gets rid of everything kind of like evaporust but just takes a minute or so.

#13 3 years ago

Also stick socket cleaner chocked in a cordless drill--5 seconds and gets the base shiny too

#14 3 years ago

This is the easiest and cheapest for me. I just dry twist these in the sockets and the 44s light up bright and solid. Just a scotch bright rolled up. I usually pinch the socket just a bit after cleaning for good contact on the new bulbs.

20140828_171939_(resized).jpg

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

One second with this Dremmel tip and she's clean for another 40 years.

Vid, won't that method remove any plating inside the socket?

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

Vid, won't that method remove any plating inside the socket?

It could.

If the socket is white with oxidation, it may be gone already.

#17 3 years ago

I've learned over the years to not even mess around with cleaning them as it seems they always come back to haunt you at the worst possible time. For about a dollar I replace the socket and the bulb and be done with it for good. I'm getting ready to shop out my Iron Maiden and when I do most all sockets will get replaced. Just did the same to my Ten Strike Bowler.

John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, Mi.
269-979-3836

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

For about a dollar I replace the socket and the bulb and be done with it for good.

Exactly.

I clean them if I have a funky socket or two, but on a restoration, of course you want all new bulb sockets.

And if it's a classic Bally with 555 bulbs in those craptastic plastic holders, I change it over to 44 bulbs.

#19 3 years ago

Is there a good source for sockets when buying bulk? I wanted to do it for my SoF, but was looking for a bit better price when buying so many. With my Rollergames I will have no other choice than to replace as most are rusted from the moisture. 100+ sockets will hit the wallet a little hard.

#20 3 years ago
Quoted from smokey_789:

Also stick socket cleaner chocked in a cordless drill--5 seconds and gets the base shiny too

+1 this in a cordless drill set on low

socket_stick_medium_(resized).jpg

#21 3 years ago

I got a little battery powered dremel from the women's cosmetic/nail aisle. It doesn't spin very fast and has hardly any torque but it works perfect for this application IMO. Comes with the tips too. For $5 you can't beat it.

amazon.com link »

Nail_dremel_(resized).jpg

#22 3 years ago
Quoted from nerdygrrl:

Is there a good source for sockets when buying bulk? I wanted to do it for my SoF, but was looking for a bit better price when buying so many. With my Rollergames I will have no other choice than to replace as most are rusted from the moisture. 100+ sockets will hit the wallet a little hard.

While this company does not carry all the sockets in a machine, this is a pretty good price for insert type 44/47 sockets...

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/ls-9/mini-bayonet-base-lamp-socket/1.html

#23 3 years ago

Even better. And every once and a while goes on sale for a couple of bucks cheaper.

http://www.harborfreight.com/80-piece-rotary-tool-kit-97626.html

#24 3 years ago

I personally like the CLR method myself.

Use it on leaf switches, sockets and other things all the time. I have several dremel light abrasive tips that I love as well. Scotch brite pads are OK for quick outter cosmetic cleaning of metal but would not be a go to item.

I just never use any metal brushs for cleaning. I have seen many guys use and I cringe seeing it. Old toothbrush is another item that is always great to keep around the work area.

But the biggest advantage of liquid chemical cleaning is getting center brass tip area, the bottom of socket to mounting bracket and other not easily accessible areas very clean quick and easy.

I normally buy CLR brand by the gallon, but have also purchased a ZEP(generic) brand from home depot or Lowes for half the price that works just as well for about 10$ a gallon.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 399.95
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Machine - For Sale
Fairfax, VA
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside