Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by phil-lee
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

60DEECC8-82E8-406F-A0F8-D8A77322AE55 (resized).jpeg
    20180531_212710_resized (resized).jpg
    20180531_212242_resized (resized).jpg
    #1 5 years ago

Ok gang I'd thought I'd list out the products I like to keep on hand in the shop. Im sure folks will have more to add to the list.

1st from left

Wipe on poly from millwax, good for touching up siderails on pf as well as top arch. Can soften the look of flipper drag on a pf.
    spray adhesive, reattaching certificates to top arch on GTB
    TitebondIII wood glue for all those cab joint reglues. Also reattaching labels to bottom board etc
    Brakleen, good for degreasing steppers etc
    Simple green, all around cleaner, cabs, pfs, light grease etc
    millwax, pf cleaner and "wax"
    Windex, clean that pf glass!
    Kwikwood, 2 part wood epoxy for filling in those large cabinet booboos, more better/harder than bondo, doesnt shrink
    H20, used with 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper when regraining the siderails
    lacquer thinner: cutting Krylon webbing when respraying with a HF touchup sprayer
    alcohol 91% pf cleaning etc

2nd pic
    Gorilla 2 part epoxy. regluing factory joints in cabs
    Gorilla super Glue, lots of uses, gluing cab feet on to the bottom/butt of cabs
    Loctite rust dissolver, rust cleanup on chrome pieces
    Novus 2 pf cleanup
    Purple Extreme, synthetic lub, bought for my bike chain, use it on stepper spindles etc
    novus 3, polisher, use it to polish shooter knobs with steel wool etc
    bondo, small cab fixes before repainting
    novus 1, plastic cleaner
    wd40, unsticking stuff (no flames please )
    super lube, lubing steppers, as relays etc
    bowling ally wax (Boilerman rec) for shining up those beautiful WK repro pfs
    Motsenbockers paint remover, removing that nasty latex overpaint on the 60's wedgeheads
    Shellac sanding sealer, a super primer for non veneer cabs, helps to give a smooth paint finish.

Others?

20180531_212242_resized (resized).jpg20180531_212242_resized (resized).jpg20180531_212710_resized (resized).jpg20180531_212710_resized (resized).jpg
    #2 5 years ago

Fun post -- mine would be:

Krud Kutter - Used in my ultra-sonic cleaner and also for cleaning down filthy cabinet exteriors
    91% Alcohol - Playfield cleaning and also selective part cleaning
    Novus 2 - Playfield cleaning
    Auto Polishing Compound by Turtlewax - For the "Sharpie" touch-up method taught to me by TimME
    Meguair's #26 Mirror Finish Wax - Playfield Waxing
    Bondo - Small cabinet fixes before repainting
    WD-40 - Used extremely sparingly
    Engineered Oil - A drop now and then on metal-to-metal Stepper Unit parts
    Wood Glue - Cabinet Repairs
    Windex - Keep that playfield glass spotless! (and occasionally clean outside of back-glass too)
    Brush Cleaner / Mineral Spirits - Cleaning paint brushes
    Evapo-Rust - Evaporating Rust!
    Citrus-Strip - Paint stripper for re-theming cabinets
    Lacquer Thinner - Used for my first webbing earlier this year (and future ones too!)
    Gorilla Glue - Multiple Uses
    Super Lube - Score Reels, Steppers, AS Relays, etc.
    Mother's Metal Polish - Used to hand-polish all kinds of metal cabinet and playfield parts (and even chime units when I restore them)
    Walnut Shell Media - Not technically a cleaner but USED as a cleaner/polish compound in my tumbler for metal parts. Works phenomenally well.
    Mosquito Repellant - I'm working in Texas in a garage!

And in the mini-fridge (did I mention I'm working in a hot garage in Texas?): Beer, Soda and Water!

#3 5 years ago

Oops, duplicated my post...

#4 5 years ago

LOL, Clay will be along shortly to kill Ken over the "Millwax" mistake.

Mine are fairly close to Ken's.

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from goldenboy232:

Mosquito Repellant - I'm working in Texas in a garage!

yea, i have this too and i need some of this Mother's Metal Polish

#6 5 years ago

I haven't used my big bottle of Millwax on a playfield in years but I find it works really well at cleaning rubber. It's been with me forever, almost since I started collecting. Years ago I read the bottle would shatter if dropped. It finally met it's fate. I beat the odds for so long but it happened. Fortunately there wasn't a ton of it left when it went.

I acquired a big bottle of Wildcat from an old pinball friend. I wonder if it is a similar product?

#7 5 years ago

60DEECC8-82E8-406F-A0F8-D8A77322AE55 (resized).jpeg60DEECC8-82E8-406F-A0F8-D8A77322AE55 (resized).jpeg

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from goldenboy232:

Brush Cleaner / Mineral Spirits - Cleaning paint brushes

I'm a big fan of mineral spirits as a good general degreaser and degunkifier for steppers and other metal parts. Use it on a cotton swap or old toothbrush or rag to dissolve and wipe away old grease and grime. Or flood hard to reach places like switch stacks or stepper arm joints that don't come apart (a little dental floss helps with those too). It evaporates slowly so you get plenty of working time. I keep it in an old spray bottle so it's easy to dispense too.

/Mark

#9 5 years ago

These are helpful posts, and thanks for starting the thread, Ken!

I would like to add creamy peanut butter to the cleaner list.

Someone had posted in another thread regarding its use for removing sticker residue from aprons/arches (thank you to whoever made that post!).

I used peanut butter with a single edge razor blade to carefully remove residue from two aprons and it worked very well (and the effort didn't remove the underlying paint/webbing).

#10 5 years ago

Nice helpful posts to a useful thread.

The list here is long, over the years lots have come and gone.

Ultimately kerosene, old formula (bought a bunch) of goof off, 91%, and 99% iso, windex, car-nu-be, #1/2 and occasionally #3, *WATER*, denatured *WATER*, mean green (the old stuff, the new stuff is different and not as effective), a thin spit, turtle wax green bottle, Break Free from Wallyworld, elbow grease (its a solvent by most quality standards). Buying games that don't need all this chemical garbage to make them work, play and look great. Life is short, spending each additional fraction at this game of games, well it gets older and older as one gets older and older.

#11 5 years ago

I like liquid Barkeepers friend to clean play fields. I have never heard a peep from any others who might use it, so guess I'm alone.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaners-liquids-in-the-em-shop and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.