Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by HowardR
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_2332 (resized).JPG

#1 1 year ago

I have a Chicago Coin "Top Ten" that I recently picked up. It's missing one flipper assembly and both flipper button assemblies. It worked good, but I just couldn't flip on it. I'm waiting for these parts to arrive to make it a complete game.

I noticed that sometimes it wouldn't advance the ball in play number when a new ball was kicked into the shooter lane so I decided to clean all the switches in the cabinet. The ball in play number advances fine now, but 90% of the time I get no scoring and no power to any pop bumpers or slings. I used 1200 grit sandpaper very sparingly (only 2-3 swipes per switch contact) and was careful not to bend any leaf switches. What did I screw up? You would think knocking the crud off 40 year old switches would help...

#2 1 year ago
Quoted from Jakers:

You would think knocking the crud off 40 year old switches would help...

No, man...that's what holds them together

#3 1 year ago

The usual rule is, you messed with something, now it doesn't work, go back to what you messed with, but in this case, that's going to take awhile.

You have the bane of EMs. The switch that appears to be making but really isn't. Without the schematic no way to know what you're looking at here.

#4 1 year ago

I don't like the approach of cleaning every switch to ferret out a problem (mostly for this reason).

That said, it's done, so how to fix?

The lock relay, tilt trip relay or game over relay are what I would look to for lack of coil power. Which switch? Good question. You're gonna have to shotgun it to find it (unless you have a schematic).

How are your fuse holders? Clean and tight?

#5 1 year ago

Lesson learned: DON'T CLEAN SWITCHES THAT WORK CORRECTLY. haha

After digging into it for a minute, I started with activating the tilt relay coil by hand a few times. The game has played fine for about 10 straight games after that. Sweet! Now I just have to figure out why the scores don't fully reset when starting a new game. They turn over 3 digits then it kicks the ball into the shooter lane.

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from Jakers:

Lesson learned: DON'T CLEAN SWITCHES THAT WORK CORRECTLY. haha
After digging into it for a minute, I started with activating the tilt relay coil by hand a few times. The game has played fine for about 10 straight games after that. Sweet! Now I just have to figure out why the scores don't fully reset when starting a new game. They turn over 3 digits then it kicks the ball into the shooter lane.

That's usually zero position switches on the score reels, but hey, I don't know if you messed with those or not. But something is telling the game that reset is complete, so that's a starting point.

#7 1 year ago

Do you have the schematic?

#8 1 year ago

i didn't mess with the score reels or anything else in the back box. The scores did reset completely before I cleaned all the cabinet switches.

I do not have a schematic. Only the parts catalog and this paper on the inside of the cabinet.

IMG_2332 (resized).JPG

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 9,000.00
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 169.95
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Pro
Flipper Parts
Buthamburg
$ 159.00
$ 1,000.00
Playfields
Pinball Playfields
$ 189.00
Displays
Boston Pinball Company
$ 84.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
£ 49.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys
$ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
£ 31.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys
$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 35.95
Playfield - Other
MicksPinball
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Great American Pinball
$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
$ 38.00
Playfield - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 8,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside