Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Untitled (resized).png
tmp_15669-20170326_2120391777938836.jpg
tmp_15669-20170326_2120441326625462.jpg
tmp_15669-20170326_212032967931901.jpg
tmp_15669-20170326_210942592400423.jpg
#1 7 years ago

Elektra has been working decent, sometimes I can play, sometimes it doesn't want to boot. More often than not it works

Tonight I decided to clean and reseat all the socketed chips on the logic board to see if that helped. Some of the bottom few chips had especially dirty legs, I got everything shiny new looking and reinserted and checked the replacement battery and it was dead. I checked the new battery, 1.51 volts and inserted it. I checked it at the board and it was only 0.6 volts. That's when I noticed the new battery I just put in was warm so I took it out immediately.

Now it boots up like normal but before it finishes saying "you have been exposed to Elektra's radiation, will you return?" it starts cycling through the test menu and nothing I do stops it. Once it gets to the end of the cycle it resets and does it again over and over. The test button was testing always on so I disconnected it, no change. Tested button out of circuit, works fine.

There were spliced wires in the coin door where the coin switches for the left and middle should be so I cut them, no change. It was recently saved from a shed and spent a long time as home use only. It's always been on what I thought was free play but the credits always show a hard to read "40" as shown in the video

I just reflowed the pins for all the connectors yesterday and it worked normal after that. I'm stumped, could I have done something cleaning the chip legs to short something and that's why the battery got hot?

tmp_15669-20170326_210942592400423.jpgtmp_15669-20170326_210942592400423.jpg

tmp_15669-20170326_212032967931901.jpgtmp_15669-20170326_212032967931901.jpg

tmp_15669-20170326_2120441326625462.jpgtmp_15669-20170326_2120441326625462.jpg

tmp_15669-20170326_2120391777938836.jpgtmp_15669-20170326_2120391777938836.jpg

#2 7 years ago

What kind of battery did you put in?

Some other things that come to mind:

You could have bent a pin under a socket, did you take them out and verify them again?...as sometimes this is nearly impossible to determine while in the socket.

You could oxidation or otherwise broken/bad socket somewhere.

You could have zapped an IC with static electricity or by rubbing and cleaning them the legs could be internally broken or otherwise damaged a borderline IC.

You could have damaged or bent some other component in handling the board. Check test switch strobe line @the MPU, or could be be cap shorted pulling it down.

You could have pulled J3 from the MPU board instead of cutting the switch wires.

#3 7 years ago

What did you clean the chip legs with?

Unrelated, but it looks like you're missing the plastic cover for the relay.

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

What kind of battery did you put in?
Some other things that come to mind:
You could have bent a pin under a socket, did you take them out and verify them again?...as sometimes this is nearly impossible to determine while in the socket.
You could oxidation or otherwise broken/bad socket somewhere.
You could have zapped an IC with static electricity or by rubbing and cleaning them the legs could be internally broken or otherwise damaged a borderline IC.
You could have damaged or bent some other component in handling the board. Check test switch strobe line @the MPU, or could be be cap shorted pulling it down.
You could have pulled J3 from the MPU board instead of cutting the switch wires.

I'll recheck the chips and legs when I get home tonight and go over the rest of the board.

I used a AA Duracell, I realize that's wrong now. The battery got warm with the board out of the game

Quoted from ForceFlow:

What did you clean the chip legs with?
Unrelated, but it looks like you're missing the plastic cover for the relay.

I used a nail file (sandpaper Popsicle stick) and then wiped the dust off with a q tip slightly dampened with 91% alcohol

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from Action53:

I'll recheck the chips and legs when I get home tonight and go over the rest of the board.
I used a AA Duracell, I realize that's wrong now. The battery got warm with the board out of the game

I prefer a memory capacitor on these old Ballys
http://pinballhelp.com/how-to-install-a-memory-capacitor-to-replace-a-battery-pack/

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from Action53:

I used a nail file (sandpaper Popsicle stick) and then wiped the dust off with a q tip slightly dampened with 91% alcohol

I usually prefer a pink rubber eraser. It doesn't thin the material, and only removes tarnish/residue/grime.

I also like to use this to help straighten pins:

http://www.jameco.com/z/ICS-01-R-IC-Pin-Straightener-Tool_99363.html

Sometimes the pins aren't quite in the right position in order to make contact with the leafs in the socket. Sometimes there is no tension left in the socket leafs, or the leafs have the same tarnish/residue/grime that the chip's legs did. In either case, they may need to be replaced.

Quoted from Action53:

Just one AA? You need three to reach the appropriate voltage. In any case, AA batteries aren't recommended since they leak. Stick with NVRAM or a memory capacitor.

#7 7 years ago

I had a vector that would boot into lamp test. Unplugging the aux lamp board fixed it.

#8 7 years ago

The game enters test mode with the top most pin of J3 is sunk low. Pull mpu j3 and see if it still cycles test mode.

Quoted from Cheddar:

I had a vector that would boot into lamp test. Unplugging the aux lamp board fixed it.

Some of the PIA ports are toggled back and forth from input mode to output mode to multiplex different things like lamps and switches. A bad IC or solder splash could hold a PIA leg in a bad wrong state causing a PIA test failure or other issues like going into test mode.

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Just one AA? You need three to reach the appropriate voltage. In any case, AA batteries aren't recommended since they leak. Stick with NVRAM or a memory capacitor.

I think he may have used an alkaline battery, and that's why it got hot. Can't use those unless a blocking diode is installed to prevent the board from trying to charge it like the original NiCad circuit.

#10 7 years ago

a single AA is sufficient as long as you change the current limiting resisto (270ohm i think it is ) to a diode. I would use a low voltage drop diode like 1n5401 if you using just a single AA.

Untitled (resized).pngUntitled (resized).png

#11 7 years ago

The middle of the three big chips had the first leg all the way to the left on the top out of the socket, I pulled it, bent it back and reinserted it correctly. It booted and I played some, it was self scoring (it's been doing that intermittently) and it wouldn't register when the ball drained (also an intermittent ongoing problem) so I turned it off and back on. Now it won't boot past the startup sound. It'll play the start up sound, I can hear a solenoid fire twice, almost like it's hitting the side of the cab and then all it does is have all the back glass lights on, the ball counter says zero and the player one display has a few zeros lit up, sometimes the middle two zeros blinking. Sometimes random play field and "basement" play field lights will be on and pressing the flipper and/or start button will make them flutter, change or go out. It acts the same with J3 plugged in and unplugged. If you shake the door with the back glass lights and displays some of the lights will dim/brighten or turn on/off.Upon start up the green light on the logic board blinks once, a slight pause, six more blinks and then it stays on but dim.

Could this be a voltage issue? Where do I check those at? I cut my teeth on arcade games and I've gotten pretty good on them but I'm still a bit intimidated by pins. I refuse to let this thing whip me and I really appreciate everyone's help and patience with me so far.

#12 7 years ago

most of these multi ball bally games will not begin attract mode until it sees all the balls in the trough.

I would assume you have switch issues. Connector problems on MPU j2 and j3. Ceramic caps can short under the PF and make switches act stuck, non stop scoring. You will find them on stand up targets, pop bumpers, etc. Try cutting a lead off of a ceramic cap for a stuck switch.

Solenoids mis firing out of order (knocker goin when it is tryign to serve up the ball trough). MPU j4 to driver j4

Lights flickering when you push the start button... Start switch grounding against the coin door will make lamps light up. Make sure their is insulation paper.

#13 7 years ago

I fiddled with it some last night, I was a little confused on how to test the ball drain switch. It had 3 contacts and a diode, I cleaned where the longest two touch and it didn't change anything. With it on I took one ball out of the trough and it finished booting, now it boots almost every time but it's still barely registering when the ball drains. The one time I got it to drain to the basement play field, the relay for switching between the upper and lower was clicking and blinking the light very fast and all three flippers for the side were firing when I hit the corresponding button. I reflowed the whole board that relay is on a few weeks ago, could the light bulb under there be effecting it?

The display wasn't showing any credits and wouldn't let me start a game. I twisted together the wires in the coin door I cut and the display went back to the "pulsing" weird looking 40 and it let me start a game. Any theory's on this "free play" hack?

I reflowed all the connector pins on the logic board a few days before I reseated and cleaned the chips. Tonight (or soon) I'm going to check everything else for cold solder joints and follow some wires to see if anything looks out of place.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

3,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
O'fallon, MO
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Brooklyn, NY

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaned-and-reseated-chips-on-logic-board-boots-to-looping-test-mode and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.