6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Cliffy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

Have 2 30 year old pins and will be working on cirt. Boards. My question how do u get 30 yr. of crud off or leave them alone. Went to frys Elec and they have cirt. Board cleaner spray in a can. Says good for circuit boards. What say you?

#2 6 years ago

Soft toothbrush, 90% isopropyl alcohol. Voltages are too high for sprays in some areas, can arc and catch fire.

-Hans

#3 6 years ago

I used Qtips and alcohol a few weeks ago to clean mine. Tedious, but it worked.

#4 6 years ago

I would say get either a can of compressed air or get an air compressor. I always use that on my boards for any electronics. I would never use any chem. products.

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from HHaase:

Voltages are too high for sprays in some areas, can arc and catch fire.

-Hans

unplug the machine and go nuts no?

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from Slingshot:

HHaase said:Voltages are too high for sprays in some areas, can arc and catch fire.
    -Hans
    unplug the machine and go nuts no?

Well, any cleaning should be done with the machine powered off no matter what you're using.

But contact cleaner leaves behind residues, and that's what burns. It's mostly a problem with EM machines that have lots of sparking going on, but you still have 40v and 100v power going through portions of solid state machines too. And since he didn't specify which circuit boards he's cleaning, I figured the safe answer would be to just not use the stuff.

Alcohol evaporates totally, and is common for cleaning boards used in much more critical areas than pinball machines. Does a great job cutting through most solder fluxes too, and cleaning them up.

-Hans

#7 6 years ago

Do what the board mfgrs do. Toss 'em in a dishwasher. Just use an air compressor to totally blow dry dip switches, relays, sockets and such. I do all my boards that way and when I was in the computer biz all our reworked motherboards went through a commercial dishwasher the same way. The drying afterwards is whats critical but easy enough to do.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Various Other Swag
    Shoot Again Pinball
    $ 5,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Top-Notch Target Shields
    $ 24.50
    $ 17.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 16.95
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 45.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ...redshiftLED
    $ 234.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 24.50
    $ 6.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 17.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    BK Pinball
    $ 25.00
    Displays
    Pappy's Pinball Palace
    £ 55.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 29.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 7,095.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 30.40
    $ 36.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    £ 80.00
    $ 15.45
    Gameroom - Decorations
    KAHR.US Circuits

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside