• Latest reply 8 years ago by o-din
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Before_and_After_Posts.jpg
POST_001.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wickerman2.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

I am ready to just buy all new posts...tried ultrasonic, scrubbing by hand...simple green, krud cutter. Seems like after I ran them through the ultrasonic it made this stuff worse(?). Is there any easy solution here? I have already spent way too much time trying to clean these. I have 20-30 in this condition. I can scrape it off with my fingernail but that seems a little absurd for the amount I have to clean.

POST 001.JPGPOST 001.JPG

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

I saw your post in the other thread. That looks like the cleaning agent etched (ate through) the glossy plastic surface.

If you scrape it off, there is glossy surface under it, it's on the surface.

#9 8 years ago

I think the ultrasonic baked this scum on there. It will scrape off with a fingernail, it buffs off with a really abrasive pad with some work, the toothbrush doesn't work, I'll soak one in some peroxide to see. I have 52 of them, so $26 worth of posts if I replace...going on a game that isn't collector condition so I was hoping for an easier DIY. $$ not a big deal, just seems like there should be some easier method here.

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from PNorth:

A really simple tool for getting old wax off jewel posts is a toothbrush. From my own personal experience, a toothbrush gets all the old wax off, and you don't even have to remove them from the game. Vacuum up the dust, and you're done.

That ship has sailed...I think the ultrasonic baked it on. I like to take everything off the playfield to make it easier to clean/wax either way.

#12 8 years ago

Forgot--I also ran them through a cycle of the dishwasher to see if that would loosen that stuff up.

#15 8 years ago

That might have worked before the ultrasonic created some sort of molecular super bond...I toothbrushed the hell out of 1 and it didn't do jack. I don't have tire cleaner(?) but I did try simple green and Krud Cutter. That technique looks like the way to go in the future...since I had 52 posts I thought the ultrasonic would work great!

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I'd just buy new ones (a hour of your time has to be worth $25), but if you are strapped, then hit them on the buffing wheel with some compound.

I'm more impatient

At this point I've already wasted way too much time but I can't let these posts win. I have a list filled out for PBR either way--just seemed like there should be a reasonably easy way to clean them, instead I've made them worse!

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

then hit them on the buffing wheel with some compound.

I hit one with a buffing head on a dremel and it actually took away plastic before it cleaned this stuff. The only sure bet is my thumbnail so PBR will get an order I guess.

#20 8 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

The plastic has leached something.

52 x C11561W posts Steve

#25 8 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

Now just add new plastics, pops, skirts, caps, flippers, bulbs and rings and you'll be all set.

Noooo!!! This game is a beater which is why I was trying to save the posts...bulbs all good, plastics all good, pop is fine, flippers have a nice "patina"....and the playfield has a nice array of planking

#32 8 years ago
Quoted from Msch:

They are like $0.30 each?

.50 each. Spanking new bright whites will look a little off on a 46 year old game, not a huge deal to me on this particular game though. I am ready to put it back together and now I have to wait another week to get the posts...that's more the issue with me

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 8.99
Tools
FlipMods
Tools
$ 9.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom
Led
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wickerman2.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/clean-old-wax-residue-stuff-off-posts?tu=wickerman2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.