1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by northerndude
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

D8E6CECA-7E09-4648-9D13-A9D3954AAA3E (resized).jpeg

#1 1 year ago

Hey folks, Just want to start a thread on the do's and or mostly do nots about the possibility of cleaning boards in the dishwasher.

1. What types of boards can go in? Anything in backbox?
    2. Any cleaning detergents in at all? or let the hot water do the work?
    3. Or do not do this, it will wreck shit?

#2 1 year ago
    Quoted from northerndude:

Hey folks, Just want to start a thread on the do's and or mostly do nots about the possibility of cleaning boards in the dishwasher.
    1. What types of boards can go in? Anything in backbox?
    2. Any cleaning detergents in at all? or let the hot water do the work?
    3. Or do not do this, it will wreck shit?

Interesting idea. I know some people clean their wiring harnesses in dishwashers without soap. Be interested to hear if hot water and a good dry cycle will damage them at all. I have only used Rubbing Alcohol on boards but would love to hear from the Electronic Experts.

#4 1 year ago

Electrical components and water don't mix.

#6 1 year ago

1. Put machine in truck.
    2. Raise pf.
    3. Drive through car wash.
    4. Voila! You're welcome.

#7 1 year ago

THx Buzz, this is the exact stuff I was looking for, I was searching dishwasher in search tool, but wasn't coming up with enough of what I wanted, or I was too frickin' impatient.

#8 1 year ago

I've been there. One word off and you can't find what your looking for. Parts are the worst for me. This process still seems odd to me and glad to help. I've learned a lot from the people here and always trying to do the same. Best of luck, clean boards are sexy. LOL

#9 1 year ago

It's fine. Doing it for years on arcades. No relays or components that trap water. Completely dry before putting power back on. I use a hair dryer to make sure. There's a vid guide that goes into detail.

#10 1 year ago

It will be during a cabinet upgrade so it will have a month or so to dry (should be good by then!!)

#11 1 year ago

I wash my boards in the sink under hot running water. I use dish soap and a sponge and have never had a problem. I always pull all the chips to keep from possible damage. I usually blow with compressed air to remove heavy amounts of water then allow to dry for a couple days. I would think a dishwasher would be a good option if that was something you wanted to do. I personally don't want that kind of stuff in my dishwasher, no telling what comes off boards while cleaning. Good luck

#12 1 year ago

I've put williams boards (power, dmd, LED holders, etc.) from a white water into an ultrasonic with citrus based cleaner solution.
    Depending on dirt build up, ran for 5 to 15 minutes at about 45 to 50 ℃.

Let them dry about a week before power on.

No problems.

#13 1 year ago

When we used to assemble boards (we now contract it out) - we had two board washing systems.
    First one for larger runs - industrial board washer. Looked like a mini-carwash that the boards went through.
    Second one was a Sears Kenmore dishwasher. Used this for small runs.
    Had a special soap for cleaning these plus it's own soft water source and waste water treatment.

Yes, there is no problem putting most electronics through a wash process.
    Things that can NOT be washed this way:
    Some trimmers that are "sealed" are not really sealed. They are often sealed from dust but not water.
    DIP switches... NEVER. They will eventually develop a beautiful light blue-green patina inside and will stick in whatever position they were last set to.
    Relays -- again, never.
    Some voltage regulator modules (haven't seen any used on pinball machines).
    Probably other items as well.

We never washed boards with IC's installed in sockets. I imagine when the IC is still installed, it might trap water in the bottom.

Don't do this with a dishwasher you expect to wash your dishes with afterwards.

1 month later
    #14 1 year ago

Wiring harness going in filthy, we’ll see what comes out in an hour!!

D8E6CECA-7E09-4648-9D13-A9D3954AAA3E (resized).jpeg

#15 1 year ago

we’ll see what comes out in an hour!!

Quoted from G-P-E:

Don't do this with a dishwasher you expect to wash your dishes with afterwards.

Cancer. Cancer is what comes out.

#16 1 year ago

Wiring harness going in filthy, we’ll see what comes out in an hour!!

Ughh

#17 1 year ago

It did a decent job, definitely didn't get all of it. I'd give it a B+, sprayed down the dishwasher afterwords, scrubbed it and giving it an empty cycle, probably be cleaner than before I did the harness.

#18 1 year ago

Just my .02 here but I scrubbing bubbles an arcade/pinball board. let it soak for about a good minute, then use a soft toothbrush and go over the board. This gets it a lot cleaner than any dishwasher method IMO, and its less invasive considering there's no heat involved.

#19 1 year ago

Yeah, for the boards, I just gave them a light spray of simple green, took them to the sink with hot water and gently scrubbed with a toothbrush, went quick, simple and the boards ended up spotless.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 1,099.00
    $ 6,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 199.99
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 229.99
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    £ 12.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Sillyoldelf Mods
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 239.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 44.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinWorlds
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 279.95
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 65.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Whitewater pinball mods
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 24.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside