(Topic ID: 98746)

Clay's Guides - are they ever coming back?

By Atomicboy

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 277 posts
  • 102 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by pmWolf
  • Topic is favorited by 14 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

645_2.jpg
    k9640514.jpg
    1392.gif
    popcorn.jpg
    ZIG.jpg
    CRG 006.jpg
    dead-horse.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cfh.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#47 9 years ago

first PLEASE don't post that you have the guides and you are willing to give them out. That is a copyright violation. Robin will revoke your pinside userid if you do this. thank you in advance.

as for the guides returning, at this point it's unlikely. All the words in the guides are mine (unless otherwise noted, which i believe was only in the pin2000 guide and some sections from williams in the wpc guide.) The problem is the pictures. Most are not mine. And most suck anyway. With new digital cameras the pictures could be way better. heck an iphone takes better pictures now.

that said, the guides would have to be gone through, all the pictures replace with 100% my pictures (not yours, regardless of whether you give permission or not - i'm not going down THAT road again, ever.) All the pictures in pinballninja.com are mine, they could be transplanted to the guides. Also all the hyperlinks would need to be updated. For the most part the information in the guides is good, as i have been updating the guides over the last 3 years. But i think a lot of guides could be word trimmed to make them more concise and less wordy.

also i would add a lot of the video content from the pinballninja.com site. Since there's 325+ videos on repair there, it would really add depth to the whole thing.

Unfortunately the only person that can do this work is me. again, when others help, been there, done that. and i'm just not interested in going down that hell road again.

The problem came to a head when i tried to help the non-profit Pacific Pinball Museum. and a few really made my life miserable with the guides (at that point especially, and through the years.) It just came to the point where it wasn't worth doing any more. There was a lot of other negative stuff going on too, pointed at me. Which really made me take a step back and re-evaluate the whole situation.

you can only be poked in the eye so many times before you go blind. if people think that their negative attitudes and actions have no consequences, they are wrong. dragging people through the mud in public forums isn't good for anyone. If you're looking to blame people, first you should blame me. Then all the others that "piled on". Heck one key person has already posted in this thread.

The whole guide thing was for sure a learning experience. Not just for pinball, but for life. and frankly i have a lot of other things i'm doing in pinball that are far more rewarding. I prefer to do the pinballninja.com thing, as it has a gate keeper. The haters stay out, and the supporters stay positive. It's a much better system, far more rewarding for me and all those that subscribe (to my knowledge.)

#64 9 years ago

It's easy to say to put them up without pics. But trust me, a no pic guide would stink.

Also the lack of public guides has nothing to do with money. It's the potential hassle (which I experienced first hand). I have complete ownership of the text. But without complete ownership of the pics, it's a potential trouble spot, which I don't want to deal with. And the time involved in re-doing the pics would be immense. I don't have the time frankly. And I can't hand if off to someone because now they have some ownership, and I'm back to the same problem.

At some point I'll do the work. But right now is not the time. Right now I have to service "The law"'s needs and start the vfw league up once again! Three times is the charm, right rob???

#74 9 years ago

Plus on the above post. There's never been any money here. I transferred rights to pacific pinball museum. I got nothing out of the deal but hassles when they wanted a donation for access. Then it became a problem causing ppm to abandon the idea and give the mess back to me. I choose to let it die because it wasn't worth the hassle. Attitudes like mr. Chunn's were/are the prime cause I have no interest in doing the necessary work to revive them.

#188 9 years ago

I'll make you guys a deal. Get all the mirrors taken down (most are old versions and non-English versions of the guides anyway), and stop the piracy of the guides, and I'll put the guides back up on pinrepair.com in their updated format. Note it won't happen all at once (it's a lot of work), but I'll do it as time allows, and one guide at a time.

#199 9 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

Hold on thar! Wait a minute. First you were saying it was too much hassle to go through and put in new pictures and update links. Now you're saying if people "rat out" mirror sites and get them taken down you'll put updated guides back up? So if the mirror sites are gone, it's suddenly no problem to put in new pictures, update the guides, and put them back again?

Really? Ok fine you convinced me. Forget the deal. It was a silly moment of weakness. I'm an idiot. Once, twice, three times burned, you would think i could learn? This is pretty much why i should stay the hell out of these threads and keep my distance from this stuff. "No good dead goes unpunished." - I need to tattoo that to my arm. it's just so much easier to support the people i know and trust than to try and help those that i don't know, and whom keep causing trouble. Man i'm an idiot for thinking people could actually be nice...

Vince warned me, told me to ignore this thread. But like an idiot I walked right into the trap. Duh

#270 9 years ago

i wasn't going to post again. but stop listening to Vid1900. he's borderline troll and doesn't know anything on this subject. he's as bad, if not worse than the negative posters, with his incorrect projections. personally i wish he would just stay out of this as he's only causing trouble. Why do people insist on doing this? didn't i just go through the whole reason the guides came down originally was because of this behavior? can't people learn from that and just stop typing negative stuff?? listen to your mothers... if you can't be nice, just don't say anything.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cfh.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/clays-guides-are-they-ever-coming-back?tu=cfh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.