(Topic ID: 98746)

Clay's Guides - are they ever coming back?

By Atomicboy

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 277 posts
  • 102 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by pmWolf
  • Topic is favorited by 14 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 7 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

645_2.jpg
    k9640514.jpg
    1392.gif
    popcorn.jpg
    ZIG.jpg
    CRG 006.jpg
    dead-horse.jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 277 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 6.
    #251 5 years ago
    Quoted from cody_chunn:

Clay, you have GOT to get some thicker skin. Unless you didn't plan to re-launch the guides at all and were just looking for an excuse not to, changing your mind on one fellow's posts is...well...just lame.

This.

10 people say how much they respect Clay and how much it has meant for the hobby, then 1 comes along as says "Why are you backpedaling from an absolute no." and the man completely blows a cap.

I'm not saying anyone should have to deal with unwarranted or outright mean criticism, but if you are really good at something and successful, it's going to breed jealousy no matter what. It's the internet....assholes + anonymity = bigger assholes. When you run a website or post in a forum, there are going to be assholes and trolls 100% of the time. But for every bad apple there are 10 good. Not just Clay, but anyone posting stuff online has to learn to ignore the minority of d-bags and appreciate majority, which are helpful, appreciative, and friendly people.

I promise you the people that talk shit, troll, or rubble rouse do not matter. They don't matter now, and they won't ever matter. It's unfortunate, but it's the way the internet has always been.

#252 5 years ago

There will always be a bunch of people who hate Clay.

And those people know how to push his buttons and get him fired up in about 2 seconds.

The guides are never coming back from Clay - ever.

Some of the overseas mirrors of the guides were posted by people now dead for over two years and obviously the guides don't even draw enough traffic to concern the web hosting company (let alone non-payment for years).

The torrents are being seeded by 11 people on one and 7 on the other - with no one at all currently downloading.

So even with this 6 page thread bringing lots of attention to the torrents, no one is downloading them.

#253 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

And those people know how to push his buttons and get him fired up in about 2 seconds.
    Some of the overseas mirrors of the guides were posted by people now dead for over two years and obviously the guides don't even draw enough traffic to concern the web hosting company (let alone non-payment for years).
    The torrents are being seeded by 11 people on one and 7 on the other - with no one at all currently downloading.
    So even with this 6 page thread bringing lots of attention to the torrents, no one is downloading them.

I have a feeling that most of the people who want them have them.

I've been thinking about reformatting the copies I have to be easier to navigate and more useful for myself...but I really have to motivation because I couldn't share with anyone.

#254 5 years ago
    Quoted from rommy:

That shows how little I know about this AGAIN. I thought the ninja repair logs and videos were the SAME THING as the guides. Are the instructions, guides, and videos up on the ninja site not equivalent or better than the Clay's Guides ? I would think that since Ninja is newer and updated it would be better and more comprehensive. Since it is growing. Wrong?

The Ninja site is great for certain things like the videos. But you can find what you need much faster with Clays old guides. And sometimes even though I think I have found the perfect video, it manages to skip over something important to what I am doing.
    That is why I am just getting my own copies of the guides to keep and just forgetting about all this mess.
    I don't need headaches in my hobby, it is supposed to be relaxing.

#255 5 years ago

There are, like with all the bitching and complaining here at Pinside and RGP, a very small group of people and trolls that make it look like the community is a restless bunch of mercenaries all with swords drawn on each other. It's not that. 99% of us contribute in many ways and in many threads, this is a VERY supportive and helpful community, and you all have benefited from it.

Ken - WTF man? What would inspire you to say what you did? I wish the nay-sayers and trolls against this idea and Clay would just stay the F out of this thread. I seriously hope the 1% of you here haven't spoiled this for the 99% of us that would really like to see this done.

Clay - please do not let the stupid comment made reverse your decision. They do NOT speak for the ones that want this back up, and that ones you did this for in the first place.

#256 5 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

I seriously hope the 1% of you here haven't spoiled this for the 99% of us that would really like to see this done.

It was NEVER going to happen anyway. Ever.

#257 5 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

Pretty sure The writer needs to register his material to claim copyright rights
    He owns the rights to copyright it.

My god, man! You admit you're not an intellectual property lawyer, so STOP SPEWING FALSE STATEMENTS ABOUT THINGS YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT! I happen to be an IP attorney, and pretty much everything you posted about copyrights here has been WRONG. Instead of posting so many factually incorrect "I think" statements here, your time would be better spent taking a few minutes and actually looking up and learning the basics of copyright law. It's not that complicated and won't take you long. *sheesh*

Quoted from Magic_Mike:

This is false. Before it goes into public domain, you have to register it's copyright. You just can't slap a © on whatever.
    If someone steals it, you will have to provide proof that it was yours.
    I had to hire a copyright lawyer several years ago. I speak from experience.

Wrong. See my comments above. But if you persist in believing you're correct, I advise you to ask whatever law school you attended for a refund of tuition. What? You're not a lawyer? I'm not surprised.

#258 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

It was NEVER going to happen anyway. Ever.

You keep saying this Vid, despite him agreeing to it again at one point. Do you know something we do not? Are you aware of something behind the scenes that is preventing Clay, even if he wanted to?

Quoted from StevenP:

My god, man! You admit you're not an intellectual property lawyer, so STOP SPEWING FALSE STATEMENTS ABOUT THINGS YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT! I happen to be an IP attorney, and pretty much everything you posted about copyrights here has been WRONG. Instead of posting so many factually incorrect "I think" statements here, your time would be better spent taking a few minutes and actually looking up and learning the basics of copyright law. It's not that complicated and won't take you long. *sheesh*

Pretty sure he admitted he was wrong like 4 pages ago, and this point is long over...

#259 5 years ago
    Quoted from Eddie:

I guess its just me but I don't understand any of this.
    If I post something on the internet for educational or entertainment purposes I do it to share info not for money or any other gains ( well maybe the feeling that I may have helped or made someone smile)
    Now if someone decides to take the content of what I posted and makes money with it so what?
    I never posted to make profit or gain if someone else makes profit from it big deal I would never have seen that gain in the first place as it was never my intention for posting.
    Also if that person makes profit by sharing the info then good the info is still getting out there as was my intention.
    Would it suck that someone would make a profit on my work yeah but thats how things go, again the work I shared was to be given away anyway for free no strings attached unless otherwise stated. So it wouldn't bother me. I wouldn't cry.
    I post something on the net its done gone out of my hands. its out there to be shared and hopefully not used to hurt anyone.
    Seems to me that once someone makes a profit or may make a profit on something someone else does then they think damn .Thats my Money or could be. OR I never intended it to be used that way etc.
    If its posted by someone with no strings, ties disclaimers thats it done its out of your hands.
    I say stop and think before posting as to why you are posting and what may happen with your post.
    If your post may be used in ways you may not like or not with the reason you are really posting then don't post.
    Call it a posting risk and remember no one is putting a gun to your head to post on the internet.
    Again thats just me Im strange that way.
    Clay Rules! Clay thanks so much for all you have done and still do for the hobby! Repost the Guides or not your still the man.

Eddie, you make sense and I generally agree with your sentiments and attitude. But what happened here, as I recall, was that many people contributed to the guides with the understanding that they would be available online for all to see and use freely. The problem was that Clay decided to TAKE THEM AWAY from everybody and start charging for them, contrary to the understanding/wishes of the other contributors. Contributions to the original guides were not a "gift" to Clay, but to the entire pinball community. So people were upset when the one guy tending the resource took it away the free access from the entire community.

If you put a pin in a local bar on free play, with the owner's cooperation, to share pinball with the neighborhood, and then the bar owner suddenly changed it to coin drop against your wishes (with far fewer people playing it then), would you be happy about that?

#260 5 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

Pretty sure he admitted he was wrong like 4 pages ago, and this point is long over...

Not really. Blackbeard actually said "I give up. You guys win." After many people tried to correct his false statements. That isn't an admission, but a concession. And sorry, but it really pisses me off when people spout false legal information online out of ignorance, and refuse to simply listen to or look up the actual legal principles. And when it comes to legal stuff, a 3rd party reading and relying on such false info could lead to real-world trouble.

#261 5 years ago

My desert island pin is either AFM or Gottlieb Atlantis. I can't decide.
    --
    Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
    http://www.Team-EM.com
    http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
    http://www.PinWiki.com - The new place for pinball repair info

#262 5 years ago
    Quoted from ChrisHibler:

My desert island pin is either AFM or Gottlieb Atlantis. I can't decide.

AFM. Martians taste like BACON. Just in case.

LTG : )™

#263 5 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

AFM. Martians taste like BACON. Just in case.
    LTG : )™

Good call. We talk with our bud Rob about bruschetta once in a while. I had some, wrapped around asparagus the other day. Now I know what all the fuss is about.

So there you have it...AFM and bruschetta it is!
    --
    Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
    http://www.Team-EM.com
    http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
    http://www.PinWiki.com - The new place for pinball repair info

#264 5 years ago

"At least I didn't drop my bike and run..."

645_2.jpg
    #265 5 years ago
    Quoted from StevenP:

I advise you to ask whatever law school you attended for a refund of tuition. What? You're not a lawyer? I'm not surprised.

Reading comprehension. What? You don't know how to do that? I'm not surprised.

#266 5 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

Ken - WTF man? What would inspire you to say what you did? I wish the nay-sayers and trolls against this idea and Clay would just stay the F out of this thread. I seriously hope the 1% of you here haven't spoiled this for the 99% of us that would really like to see this done.

Alright get off kens back. Vid is right ,it was never going to happen anyways. Clays demands were to stop all mirrors and torrents.
    Which is imposable, if you figure out how, be sure to let the movie and music industry know they have been trying to figure that out for over a decade.

#267 5 years ago

.....this place is getting really unfriendly....

#268 5 years ago
    Quoted from tonycip:

Alright get off kens back. Vid is right ,it was never going to happen anyways. Clays demands were to stop all mirrors and torrents.
    Which is imposable, if you figure out how, be sure to let the movie and music industry know they have been trying to figure that out for over a decade.

Bullshit - I will not, it was a stupid way to go, and totally screwed with something big that was about to happen. I respect Ken and his posts elsewhere, he helps people solve issues, but this was a very negative thing to do.

As other's mentioned, once they go back up, there would be little use/traffic to all the other older stuff anyway, if Clay would be content with that.

I'm done with this thread too I guess, so much negative against something you have all read and benefited from - don't lie! I tried, it almost happened, but the fucking nay-sayers get their way again here.

Thanks people!

#269 5 years ago

Disclaimer..............TROLL!

Ok "Copyright Lawyers", since all of you know the law so well, and its all "black and white", then explain the whole process so the rest of us so we understand. Tell us about how you have to file lawsuit against someone to start with and we are not going to court tomorrow. Tell us about the counter lawsuit for discrepencies in the copyright law. Tell us about the legal battle for claims on intellectual property that was not filed for copyright and original owner is screwed out of rights because of the "once its created argument". Tell us about the lawsuits that are dropped immediately after countersuit is filed since it was frivolous anyway. And...................... And.......................

The point being is you can quite the law all you want but until you in front of a judge making an argument over a legal proceeding, your blowing smoke up everyones ass. You can quote the law all you want but I live in america and I'm pretty sure you can't guarantee the outcome of a trial. You can make your argument and have the law on your side and still loose.

All the arguments for or against Copyright law are INTERPRITATION! its the equivalent of telling me a cloud I think looks like a dog is a rainbow unicorn and I have to agree with you. NO!

#270 5 years ago

i wasn't going to post again. but stop listening to Vid1900. he's borderline troll and doesn't know anything on this subject. he's as bad, if not worse than the negative posters, with his incorrect projections. personally i wish he would just stay out of this as he's only causing trouble. Why do people insist on doing this? didn't i just go through the whole reason the guides came down originally was because of this behavior? can't people learn from that and just stop typing negative stuff?? listen to your mothers... if you can't be nice, just don't say anything.

#271 5 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

i wasn't going to post again. but stop listening to Vid1900. he's borderline troll and doesn't know anything on this subject. he's as bad, if not worse than the negative posters, with his incorrect projections and general bull crap.

IBTL

#272 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

A lot already have them and most have internet where these would be downliaded in mere minutes so makes sense no downloaders. Plus, some of us have access to them online, which is really convenient

#273 5 years ago

RIP this thread--TO PIECES!!

#274 5 years ago
    Quoted from Magic_Mike:

Reading comprehension. What? You don't know how to do that? I'm not surprised.

Apparently you don't have any, or else you'd understand some copyright fundamentals by now. (BTW, 'reading comprehension' is something you have or don't have, not something you do. Nice fail of a comeback on your part. LOL)

#275 5 years ago
    Quoted from Tallon:

Disclaimer..............TROLL!
    Ok "Copyright Lawyers", since all of you know the law so well, and its all "black and white", then explain the whole process so the rest of us so we understand. Tell us about how you have to file lawsuit against someone to start with and we are not going to court tomorrow. Tell us about the counter lawsuit for discrepencies in the copyright law. Tell us about the legal battle for claims on intellectual property that was not filed for copyright and original owner is screwed out of rights because of the "once its created argument". Tell us about the lawsuits that are dropped immediately after countersuit is filed since it was frivolous anyway. And...................... And.......................
    The point being is you can quite the law all you want but until you in front of a judge making an argument over a legal proceeding, your blowing smoke up everyones ass. You can quote the law all you want but I live in america and I'm pretty sure you can't guarantee the outcome of a trial. You can make your argument and have the law on your side and still loose.
    All the arguments for or against Copyright law are INTERPRITATION! its the equivalent of telling me a cloud I think looks like a dog is a rainbow unicorn and I have to agree with you. NO!

1) Want to learn about copyright law? Google the topic and read about it. DOn't need a lawyer for that.

2) No sane lawyer is going to dispense legal advice online.

3) Despite the existence of many grey areas in law (and many fact-specific issues), there ARE factually correct and incorrect statements about the law and legal rights. Correcting factually incorrect things that people post here is a good thing, overall.

4) Might want to edit your post, starting with 'discrepencies,' 'interpritation,' 'your,' 'loose,' etc. *sigh*

5) See 3) above, in case you didn't get it the first time.

6) So, how badly did that lawyer screw you over anyway?

#276 5 years ago
    Quoted from StevenP:

BTW, 'reading comprehension' is something you have or don't have, not something you do.

Yes, you don't know how to "read" and then comprehend.

"Read" and "Reading" are VERBS which are actions that you *would* do!

"Comprehend" is also a VERB which is an action that you *would* do!

Go back to law school AND grammar school! LMAO!!!!

#277 5 years ago

Well folks, it's pretty apparent that after six pages of this, we've effectively solved everything.

As a celebration, it's probably time to lock this thread.

Sorry, folks. Time to move on to other topics.

Pete

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 17.50
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Haus
    $ 59.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 26.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 47.00
    $ 235.00
    Boards
    RS Technologies
    $ 7,399.00
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    Pinball Machine
    Music City Pinball
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 209.99
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 2.50
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    £ 99.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinballToys
    $ 98.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 60.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Vandelay Industries
    € 95.00
    Lighting - Led
    FlipperLED
    $ 14.50
    Electronics
    PinballElectronics.com
    There are 277 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 6.

This topic is closed.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside