image-26.jpg
2013-11-15_11-17-04_498.jpg
image.jpg
image-646.jpg
image.jpg
image-90.jpg
image.jpg
20131102_171611.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider panzerfreak.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#27 10 years ago

"The screen is just distracting". That's something I, and many others, personally don't understand as I find the LCD to be the most innovative feature for pinball in years. The screen is perfect for a game with deep quest based rules like WOZ where there's multiple modes going on at once and you can see your status for each of those modes at any time. Pinball needed something to move it forward and JJP using LCD's in their machines is doing just that.

My biggest issue with this review is that the reviewer didn't seem to take the time to learn the rules like he did before / while reviewing other games like ACDC. Did he show the animated rule screens on the LCD and explain how the rules match up to what's on the playfield during the review? Doesn't seem like it.

I still enjoyed the review and like a lot of the other reviews he's done in the past. It's great to hear other people's viewpoints on machines, WOZ especially, and this is a good one.

#41 10 years ago

Theme blows is an opinion. Wizard of Oz is timeless (another opinion so I can't really talk, haha) and the integration of the movie with the playfield toys, rules, and layout is the best I've ever seen in pinball. I just wish he spent more time on learning the rules of the game, if he did its not reflected in the review. There's just a heck of a lot going on in WOZ and I can agree that it can come off as confusing if you don't look at the rule screens. The LCD does help get you started by saying what to shoot for in terms of spinning the house, starting Emerald City MB, and getting to the castle mini playfield.

#43 10 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

Great review, the truth sometimes hurts.

Not the truth when a big majority of players / owners love the game and its out earning everything at a lot of locations. The game isn't for everyone and its perfectly understandable that some reviewers won't like it. Like any pin if someone doesn't like the theme it can be hard to get into so I understand that point of view.

A majority of the comments for the video on YouTube are overwhelming positive for WOZ. Not I did not write them all, haha.

#65 10 years ago

Opposite is true though for people who enjoyed the review....lol.

#90 10 years ago

All the WOZ haters love the review! lol...not surprised.

#94 10 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Go to the JJP moderated forum if you can't take comments about inserts, theme & GI.

I can. Just doing a little ribbing back, haha.

#166 10 years ago

Wow Rusty, stop being rude, especially to Lloyd who does so much for this hobby. Also, if you don't like WOZ that's fine but please stop attacking JJP for no apparent reason.

#170 10 years ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

I think the key to WOZ ( as well as any future JJP sales ) is going to rest with the software. JJP has to encourage Keith and his team to pull out all the stops and continue to update the software/system for their flagship game in addition to any future games. If they do what Stern has been doing, which is orphan older game software in lieu of newer ones, they'll be sabotaging themselves.
So IMO, how many games they ultimately sell will pivot on this key point. If they start selling/shipping Hobbit, and they continue to update WOZ above and beyond it being "complete", they will set a new/higher standard and make their games valuable in the long term. This is what I'm hoping for, but my worry is, they may opt for the low-hanging-fruit of cranking out more titles to get pre-order money like Stern. If that happens, I think both manufacturers will basically milk the market dry and kill it.

You took the words out of my mouth, haha. Well said!

JJP has the chance right now with their first pin to show customers "We complete our games with deep rulesets". I personally think that completed code sells games and by completing WOZ and continuing to update it JJP will only sell more machines. It seems like they are going down that path right now. After seeing the work they have done on WOZ I'm only more excited to get The Hobbit.

It also helps that JJP encourages open discussion between staff and owners / players and comments on feedback regarding code.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 16.95
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

13,000 (OBO)
9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider panzerfreak.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/classicgameroom-reviews-woz?tu=panzerfreak and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.