image-26.jpg
2013-11-15_11-17-04_498.jpg
image.jpg
image-646.jpg
image.jpg
image-90.jpg
image.jpg
20131102_171611.jpg
There are 264 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 6.
#101 10 years ago
Quoted from Newsom:

This gets more clever every time that you post it.
This was really funny two years ago. No wait, it was already old then.
Is this all you got? Old ladies and "light in the loafers?"
There is tons of material to work with in WOZ. Give it another shot. I'm sure that you can come with something better.

Its a joke, jesus relax. You know there are people on pinside rating games like Avengers LE with a score of 1. That to me is much more aggressive than a joking comment. I'm sorry but since when has WOZ not been a girly movie, "somewhere over the rainbow" come on. I'm not making any jokes anymore on this site. Its just pinball, I love it too but take it easy....................PEACE

#102 10 years ago

#103 10 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

All the WOZ haters love the review! lol...not surprised.

As I said before I like the review and WoZ. I think most people are just tired of the over hype in both directions - the haters and the lovers.

The game has a lot going for it but it's not perfect by any stretch. I don't like the theme, the lack of GI, and I find the LCD a but useless for a player such as myself. overall these don't detract from the fact it is an overall a great machine

I can find similar gripes with ACDC. I don't like the band, I don't like the artwork, I hate the entirety of the cannon and it's placement, but these things also don't mean the machine is crap. It too overall comes out as a great machine despite my gripes with it.

Omg wait... Someone could like ACDC AND WoZ??!! And the CGR review of both?! Wtf?!

#104 10 years ago

Woz is cool, but it aint robocop.

#105 10 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

I thought for sure when he said something like "they stuffed everything from the movie into the game" he was going to follow it up with a line such as "except any of the memorable voice work or sountrack music"

He did comment "Where's Dorthy singing??? I guess that must have cost extra; they spent their money on blinky things."

Quoted from BC_Gambit:

he is woefully unfamiliar with the reference material

He said he's not a big fan of the Wizard of Oz

#106 10 years ago

The part where Dorothy is singing and nothing is coming out of her mouth is truly laughable. Imagine watching that over and over and over, oh yeah WOZ owners do. Great review like all of his prior ones and nice to hear someone not gush over WOZ as the second coming. Ugliest garbled with shit everywhere playfield, to each there own I guess. I have zero desire to even play it without a brightening kit, just so damn dark. I could care less what you zealots think that game is ugly to my eyes and not a work of art as some people say. Worst theme ever for middle aged males ever, zero appeal. Hope Hobbit is more interesting then that turd.

#107 10 years ago
Quoted from starbase:

The part where Dorothy is singing and nothing is coming out of her mouth is truly laughable. Imagine watching that over and over and over, oh yeah WOZ owners do. Great review like all of his prior ones and nice to hear someone not gush over WOZ as the second coming. Ugliest garbled with shit everywhere playfield, to each there own I guess. I have zero desire to even play it without a brightening kit, just so damn dark. I could care less what you zealots think that game is ugly to my eyes and not a work of art as some people say. Worst theme ever for middle aged males ever, zero appeal. Hope Hobbit is more interesting then that turd.

So does that mean you're getting one?

#108 10 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

Content aside, I find his Big Announcer Voice incredibly annoying.

Why do I have this distinct feeling that if he posted a glowing review of WOZ that you wouldn't have said a word about his "incredibly annoying" voice?

#109 10 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

So does that mean you're getting one?

No I am getting two and putting them down by the dumpster for Teekee.

#110 10 years ago

That guy is seriously unfunny

#111 10 years ago
Quoted from starbase:

Like the part where some other games are years old and still have whole modes missing? I think I would rather be missing a sound bite

#112 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Fixed it for ya.

It's not "fixed".

It's just the same fucking difference. You people have all chosen your camps already, it doesn't really matter anymore.

I, for one, am still anxiously awaiting my very first game on a WOZ..

#113 10 years ago
Quoted from starbase:

No I am getting two and putting them down by the dumpster for Teekee.

Thank you for making my life easier by not putting them in the dumpster but rather beside the dumpster... bastards are just way to heavy !

#114 10 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

-theme blows (whether or not everyone agrees, the game likely would have sold twice as many with a more appealing theme. Hobbit will likely outsell woz 2 or more).

If you're a betting man, I'll take this bet. I do not think there will be more Hobbits than WOZ's made.

#115 10 years ago

I am a future WOZ owner and i did not find that review negative.

Mark seems like a guy who doesn't take himself to seriously, he got a few points across but overall he seemed to enjoy the table. Didn't he say in so many words that Robocop was a cinematic masterpiece? Now that was funny....

#116 10 years ago
Quoted from zod:

I agree with this review, WOZ was not a good theme for a pinball.

Yea, we need more games themed after men in skin tight outfits wearing masks, or middle-aged rockers who last had a hit on the radio during the Reagan administration.

#117 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

He did comment "Where's Dorthy singing??? I guess that must have cost extra; they spent their money on blinky things."

He said he's not a big fan of the Wizard of Oz

Doh, must have missed the Dorothy bit running out of the room doing something for the kids...

As far as the not being a fan bit, I am not a "fan" of say Family Guy to know a tonne about the show. However if the pin had none of the recognizable audio elements from the show I could tell pretty darn quick. So I wasn't sure if he was fairly familiar with it but did not like it much at all, or just really had not seen the show in 30 odd years or whatever.

#118 10 years ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

If you're a betting man, I'll take this bet. I do not think there will be more Hobbits than WOZ's made.

If you're right, then JJP is in big trouble.

#119 10 years ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

Yea, we need more games themed after men in skin tight outfits wearing masks, or middle-aged rockers who last had a hit on the radio during the Reagan administration.

I'm not one for music pins or super hero theme's either. But they are still better than my mothers favorite movie as a theme. I would like an Aliens or Spawn something cool not movies that are made for small children, they are not buying pinball machine's. ZOD

#120 10 years ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

Agreed, I like both those better than the WoZ theme.

#121 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Why do I have this distinct feeling that if he posted a glowing review of WOZ that you wouldn't have said a word about his "incredibly annoying" voice?

Because you have some harsh preconceptions about me. And never pass on a chance to take a dig. Totally expected, still not amusing nor clever.

BTW, true fact, 2 of my all-time top-5 games are Stern games that I own. WPT is #1 on that list, and LOTR is up there, don't have them all sorted in exact order. I think WOZ will be in my top 5 as the software matures over the coming months. I probably gush over WPT more than WOZ. How does that fit in with your (pre-)coneptions of me?

#122 10 years ago

Here is the review of the new Star Trek from Mark:

http://www.youtube.com/embed/zaePMq7zvLg?autoplay=1&rel=0

#123 10 years ago
Quoted from zod:

I'm not one for music pins or super hero theme's either. But they are still better than my mothers favorite movie as a theme. I would like an Aliens or Spawn something cool not movies that are made for small children, they are not buying pinball machine's. ZOD

You just unwittingly made the argument for why WOZ is a pinball machine made for EVERYBODY. My mother and wife like playing my machine, and kids may not buy pinball machines but they sure do play 'em...and they love WOZ. It's a theme that resounds nearly universally...except with macho men who think "cool" is gore and horror and middle-aged metal bands. Glad I'm still in touch with my feminine side!

#124 10 years ago

WOZ is basically a litmus test for whether people are capable of appreciating great metaphors, screenwriting, and cinematography, in lieu of things simply blowing up every five minutes. Different strokes for different folks.

What I don't get is you don't hear me whining in every Stern thread about whether or not I approve of their themes. We get it. You guys don't like WOZ. We don't need to hear about it every time the topic comes up.

Quoted from frolic:

If you're right, then JJP is in big trouble.

If the pinball market is going to grow, manufacturers will have to attract new people, not the same demographic. Right now the pinball market almost exclusively panders to men. JJP was very smart to choose a theme that didn't fit that mold. Even though some outspoken people here think WOZ is a bad theme, it probably has a bigger market share than yet another fantasy theme that mainly appeals to the same pinball demo.

But my main reason for believing Hobbit won't out-sell WOZ is because I simply don't think the market can sustain many more $8000 pinball machines.

#125 10 years ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

What I don't get is you don't hear me whining in every Stern thread about whether or not I approve of their themes. We get it. You guys don't like WOZ. We don't need to hear about it every time the topic comes up.

I don't follow individuals around on pinside but Stern threads are full of this. "omg not another music/comic/movie/tv show... omg i hate ACDC/Metallica/Rolling Stones... omg I hate xmen/avengers/superman"

I've been as vocal about my distate for the ACDC theme as the WoZ theme. The difference is in an ACDC discussion people say "I don't care, it's a good machine" in a WoZ thread people go "omg wtf you're an idiot the theme is genius"

If the pinball market is going to grow, manufacturers will have to attract new people, not the same demographic. Right now the pinball market almost exclusively panders to men. JJP was very smart to choose a theme that didn't fit that mold. Even though some outspoken people here think WOZ is a bad theme, it probably has a bigger market share than yet another fantasy theme that mainly appeals to the same pinball demo.

Yeah Harry Potter would have been a stupid theme. It's not modern, relevant, popular with kids and adults, boys and girls.... oh wait....

Spin the theme any way you want, it's WoZ because the licence was in hand.

#126 10 years ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

But my main reason for believing Hobbit won't out-sell WOZ is because I simply don't think the market can sustain many more $8000 pinball machines.

If that's true, why add 1500 machines at $9000 a pop to a seemingly saturated market?

#127 10 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

If that's true, why add 1500 machines at $9000 a pop to a seemingly saturated market?

We don't know if the market is saturated at this point.

It will be interesting to see if they can sell 1500 more $9k machines.

Right now, they're basically making machines that were sold to people for $6500 and they'll continue to be doing that for many months it seems, perhaps even well into next year.

#128 10 years ago

Bacon Carmel doughnuts

image-646.jpgimage-646.jpg
#129 10 years ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

Right now, they're basically making machines that were sold to people for $6500 and they'll continue to be doing that for many months it seems, perhaps even well into next year.

Exactly.

They can't even get 400 games out to people who already paid for them, and suddenly we are all worried if they can make 1500 more?

#130 10 years ago

What is the typical number of years or months to do a full restore?

#131 10 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Bacon Carmel doughnuts

image-646.jpg 99 KB

MMMMMM...Bacon Carmel Donuts! (Slobber) What was we talking about?

#132 10 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

You just unwittingly made the argument for why WOZ is a pinball machine made for EVERYBODY. My mother and wife like playing my machine, and kids may not buy pinball machines but they sure do play 'em...and they love WOZ. It's a theme that resounds nearly universally...except with macho men who think "cool" is gore and horror and middle-aged metal bands. Glad I'm still in touch with my feminine side!

Glad you can admit it. That's was the worst retort I've ever heard. PEACE

#133 10 years ago

Funny how that goes. Cause i really think the hobbit will destroy the woz selling numbers.

And i hope it does. Means more jjp pins plus that the hobbit is as great as i am hoping.

#134 10 years ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

It will be interesting to see if they can sell 1500 more $9k machines.

Not gonna happen, no way, its a way to scrape some more icing off of the cake for the people that will pay 9k for the red ruby while at the same time they have to say they are going to produce "up to 1500" so that it looks like they aren't screwing the emerald guys.........

So if they move 250-400 of these I'd be shocked, probably more around 150 imo............ (at 9k that is)

The other move could also be that they could give the distributors big leeway to discount to more reasonable numbers and pump up the volume that way, which again would not sit well with the emerald guys.....

#135 10 years ago

Btw, I guess some could see the reviews as "funny" but hey, I don't get that kind of pin dork humor! And its creepy that the dude is making love with Chris Pine in the video.........ok, whatevs......

#136 10 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

So if they move 250-400 of these I'd be shocked, probably more around 150 imo

Hard to say what effect that Warner Brothers catalog will have on it. A lot of WOZ fans bought WOZ, that weren't pinball people until now.

Lloyd

#137 10 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Hard to say what effect that Warner Brothers catalog will have on it. A lot of WOZ fans bought WOZ, that weren't pinball people until now.
Lloyd

It seems the non-pinball types are many of the ones that actually received games at this point. There are so many non-pinball people that can't do a lick of service on their WOZ on the forums (Pinside and the WOZ Google group). That is why you and other JJP employees are asking some of us if we would volunteer to go to their houses/businesses and help them out. It makes my wait for my ECLE even more frustrating since I feel at least fairly fluent in pinball tuning/repair.

#138 10 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

That is why you and other JJP employees are asking some of us if we would volunteer to go to their houses/businesses and help them out.

I'm sorry you don't have your game yet. There is no way of knowing how many non pinball people got them or how many pinball people got them. I've asked for help on the WOZ forum twice. In six months of tech help.

When I get a call, I do all I can to get their game going so they can enjoy it. No matter their skill level. They need help and that is what I do my best to do.

LTG : )
Disclaimer : I'm a volunteer too.

#139 10 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I'm sorry you don't have your game yet. There is no way of knowing how many non pinball people got them or how many pinball people got them. I've asked for help on the WOZ forum twice. In six months of tech help.
When I get a call, I do all I can to get their game going so they can enjoy it. No matter their skill level. They need help and that is what I do my best to do.

Let me know if some non-pin person needs help with their WOZ in the NYC area. I'm pretty competent with repairs, diagnosing, adjusting, and can help someone open up their game!

#140 10 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

When you were asking about helping someone in Virginia the first thing I did was look up the location on the map to see if I was close enough to help out. They were about 2 hours away so that was not going to be practical. It was for the best anyway because I really want the day that I open mine from the box to be the first time I actually see one in person.

#141 10 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

You guys do a great job Lloyd! Are you seriously a non paid "volunteer"?

#142 10 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Are you seriously a non paid "volunteer"?

Yes.

My reward is in helping people enjoy their pinball machines. For many years now. And currently able to do a better job with JJP pins, and in the future with the MM remakes, and still helping with Stern where I can.

Disclaimer : Just trying to make my little corner of pinball better and more fun.

#143 10 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Yes.

My reward is in helping people enjoy their pinball machines. For many years now. And currently able to do a better job with JJP pins, and in the future with the MM remakes, and still helping with Stern where I can.

Disclaimer : Just trying to make my little corner of pinball better and more fun.

What a labor of love Big time respect for you, aside from just loving what you do, you get the concept of giving to get more, not just monetarily!

#144 10 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

What a labor of love Big time respect for you, aside from just loving what you do, you get the concept of giving to get more, not just monetarily!

Let's not get overboard here. If I was busier at work, no one would ever know who I was.

#145 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

They can't even get 400 games out to people who already paid for them, and suddenly we are all worried if they can make 1500 more?

Don't you guys think he was actually being very nice? The game is just boring to play, sorry. Back to pinball reality It's about getting the cash flow now, I can't believe how many have missed the Pink Elephant in the room. If he's running this game for another year I'd bet you'll see another LE, i.e. "the last 1000 LE's" ever produced WOZLE's will be coming mid summer from JJP.

#146 10 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Let's not get overboard here. If I was busier at work, no one would ever know who I was.

Still, the fact that you spend your spare time to help is really cool! Hopefully you don't get too busy to not help...

#147 10 years ago
Quoted from zod:

Glad you can admit it. That's was the worst retort I've ever heard. PEACE

Glad you only focused on the tongue-in-cheek final sentence and not the point of the post. At least now I know what I'm dealing with.

#148 10 years ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

Yea, we need more games themed after [men in skin tight outfits wearing masks, or] middle-aged rockers who last had a hit on the radio during the Reagan administration.

You ain't referring to AC/DC, are you?

Both the songs War Machine and Rock and Roll Train are featured in the Stern pinball machine, and are on AC/DC's 2008 album, Black Ice. Black Ice was released less than a month before Obama, was elected. Reagan was already long dead.

Quoted from Wikipedia:

Black Ice peaked at number one in 29 countries, including Australia, Canada, the United Kingdom and the United States. It was the second best-selling record of 2008,

#149 10 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

One time I remember Lloyd saying something like "this hobby has not made me rich with money but it certainly has with friends and acquaintances". If it was not for the many great people we have met or chatted with I am sure a good portion of us would not be as happily obsessed with the hobby and including Pinside.
Thanks for all you do Lloyd.

#150 10 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

And Lloyd, if you asked for that help in my area, I would toss my tools in the car and run out to where it was and lend a hand to anyone that can't spin a quarter inch nut driver.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
$ 24.50
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 91.00
$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

13,000 (OBO)
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 5.00
Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 264 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/classicgameroom-reviews-woz/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.