New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 70384)

ClassicGameRoom reviews WOZ

By guyincognito

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 264 posts
  • 87 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by guyincognito
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 9 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image.jpg
image-26.jpg
2013-11-15_11-17-04_498.jpg
image.jpg
image-646.jpg
image.jpg
image-90.jpg
image.jpg
20131102_171611.jpg

There are 264 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.
#1 6 years ago

I love watching ClassicGameRoom's youtube videos. The guy is prolific with the number of video games, arcade games and pinball machines that he reviews. He's also got a great sense of humor. In the following video he gets a chance to play WOZ at PAPA.

#2 6 years ago

I have a feeling this guy got stuffed in his locker a lot in high school.

#3 6 years ago

Guy the code is not finished yet! Why are all the light blinking....give me a break. You cant review a game like this only playing it a few times. Talk about being annoying.

#4 6 years ago

Lol classic review.

3.....2.....1......till all the bitter JJP lovers come bashing it.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

And other people just have a sense of humor.

#6 6 years ago

I like his reviews.

#7 6 years ago

I thought it was pretty funny, where is the assassinate munchkin mode?

#9 6 years ago

In his review of robocop he kept comparing it to a new stern pin - cant remember which. It was pretty funny.

It's just a goof, guys. Relax. Play pinball, drink beer, eat popcorn.

Life is good!

#10 6 years ago

Did like the assassinate munchkin mode idea, 1.3 release?

#11 6 years ago

Hmmmm, honoustly, i think this is his worst pin review. You could tell that he has not played enough to understand what was going on.

I like his other reviews. This one from the first minut i felt like he did not give it a fair chance. He made up his mind before playing. He says the screen is not something that adds, but he is crying he does not know what to do. Maybe look up....... And watch at the screen???

Meh, bad job classic.

Ah well.... Just another review.

#12 6 years ago

This guy is irritating in most of the reviews that I have seen.

#13 6 years ago

"Look at how many blinky things there are!"

Honest review in my opinion. Obviously the guy isn't a pinball wizard and is reviewing it from that viewpoint.

As he says several times, "give it a go" and "play it"

rd.

#14 6 years ago

I did like his review better than a lot of other reviews I've seen. I probably relate more to him since we both don't know whats going on, but still enjoy the game.

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

And other people just have a sense of humor.

I have one. I just didn't find any of it funny? His voice is annoying and purposefully "robotic". Almost 70's news anchor'ish. Reminds me of the wanna be class clown that only he himself found funny and everyone else abused.

#16 6 years ago

Wannabe Ron Burgundy?

#17 6 years ago

I'm sure he's not expecting to be taken seriously when he's talking about blinky things and comparing WOZ to Call of Duty. Munchkin Assassination Mode though. C'mon. You have to at least feel the tug of a smile thinking about that.

#18 6 years ago

Classic...

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

I have one. I just didn't find any of it funny? His voice is annoying and purposefully "robotic". Almost 70's news anchor'ish. Reminds me of the wanna be class clown that only he himself found funny and everyone else abused.

I guess the difference between Mark and the wannabe class clown is that Mark has 321k people following his Youtube channel.

#20 6 years ago

Good review.

#21 6 years ago

Well the guy thinks "Robocop" is great cinema, so that puts his opinion in perspective.

#22 6 years ago

Robocop is a fantastic film.

Mark for president!

#23 6 years ago

I notice one thing in common with all the people who can't find the humor in his review.

#24 6 years ago

This guy meant to be a troll? Serious question. That wasnt that funny and reviewed nothing really.,,

#25 6 years ago

I love Mark's reviews. I have been watching his videos for years. I will say that this is one of his weaker reviews, but they can't all be great

#27 6 years ago

"The screen is just distracting". That's something I, and many others, personally don't understand as I find the LCD to be the most innovative feature for pinball in years. The screen is perfect for a game with deep quest based rules like WOZ where there's multiple modes going on at once and you can see your status for each of those modes at any time. Pinball needed something to move it forward and JJP using LCD's in their machines is doing just that.

My biggest issue with this review is that the reviewer didn't seem to take the time to learn the rules like he did before / while reviewing other games like ACDC. Did he show the animated rule screens on the LCD and explain how the rules match up to what's on the playfield during the review? Doesn't seem like it.

I still enjoyed the review and like a lot of the other reviews he's done in the past. It's great to hear other people's viewpoints on machines, WOZ especially, and this is a good one.

#28 6 years ago

I do agree the insert lights are pretty intense, but rather than just complain about it, I'd want to know if there are configuration options where you can tone it down, or whether or not having more ambient light in the room makes the situation better, etc. I would hesitate to call that video a "review".. it seems more of an op-ed/comedy monologue.

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

#30 6 years ago

He plays each game he reviews for about 3-4 hours with the glass off to learn the rules and see all of the features. I typically leave him alone during that time, and he draws his own conclusions as an experienced gamer and video producer.

The time he spent with Wizard of Oz was no different from any other game I've watched him review.

#31 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

I do agree the insert lights are pretty intense, but rather than just complain about it, I'd want to know if there are configuration options where you can tone it down, or whether or not having more ambient light in the room makes the situation better, etc. I would hesitate to call that video a "review".. it seems more of an op-ed/comedy monologue.

He gave them credit for putting a lot of new stuff into the game. But come on have you seen the playfield during the gameplay? What insert isnt lit up for chrine out loud? Just watching that review & some of the other gameplay videos I can totally understand why he was very confused about what he should be doing. It seems like there is still a lot that needs to be done to make it more understandable as to what you should be doing.

#32 6 years ago

Pretty spot on review, he verbalizes all my thoughts on this game to a tee.

#33 6 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Pretty spot on review, he verbalizes all my thoughts on this game to a tee.

What's wrong not enough purple for you?

Post edited by Jetzxi : I love me some purple! well not really but the game is awesome!

20131102_171611.jpg
#34 6 years ago
Quoted from Jetzxi:

What's wrong not enough purple for you?

needs more purple, and cowbell.

#35 6 years ago

Will be interesting to see how it looks on star trek when they use all color changing rgbs

#36 6 years ago

Maybe he was playing a prototype

#37 6 years ago

The review was neutral IMHO. He gave some disses he gave some positives. He tried to be funny, it worked a few times and failed a few times.

#38 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Get that money son!...

shill any harder and I would think you built that game yourself

#39 6 years ago

I personally like his style, but i can see and understand it's not everybody cup o tea.
He brings legit stuff up about WOZ, good and bad. Like he does on all other reviews.

Btw, i can't seem to find his Star Trek Pro review. Would love to see that.

#40 6 years ago

the review seemed balanced, I'm sorry to the woz owners that he didn't LOVE it, but these points were fair:

-theme blows (whether or not everyone agrees, the game likely would have sold twice as many with a more appealing theme. Hobbit will likely outsell woz 2 or more).
-lights too intense to tell a lay person what to shoot for
-kudos for them for trying something different
-try the game for yourself
-we're happy they are here, despite if the game wins on all fronts

#41 6 years ago

Theme blows is an opinion. Wizard of Oz is timeless (another opinion so I can't really talk, haha) and the integration of the movie with the playfield toys, rules, and layout is the best I've ever seen in pinball. I just wish he spent more time on learning the rules of the game, if he did its not reflected in the review. There's just a heck of a lot going on in WOZ and I can agree that it can come off as confusing if you don't look at the rule screens. The LCD does help get you started by saying what to shoot for in terms of spinning the house, starting Emerald City MB, and getting to the castle mini playfield.

#42 6 years ago

Great review, the truth sometimes hurts.

#43 6 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

Great review, the truth sometimes hurts.

Not the truth when a big majority of players / owners love the game and its out earning everything at a lot of locations. The game isn't for everyone and its perfectly understandable that some reviewers won't like it. Like any pin if someone doesn't like the theme it can be hard to get into so I understand that point of view.

A majority of the comments for the video on YouTube are overwhelming positive for WOZ. Not I did not write them all, haha.

#44 6 years ago
Quoted from goodgameslover:

Btw, i can't seem to find his Star Trek Pro review. Would love to see that.

Looks like it was removed?!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/classic-gameroom-reviews-star-trek

Here's Tron while we wait...

#45 6 years ago
Quoted from mhs:

He plays each game he reviews for about 3-4 hours with the glass off to learn the rules and see all of the features. I typically leave him alone during that time, and he draws his own conclusions as an experienced gamer and video producer.
The time he spent with Wizard of Oz was no different from any other game I've watched him review.

Thanks for letting him have access to your pins!

#46 6 years ago

"I'm not a witch...."

#47 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Quoted from Pinchroma:

Says the Linux nerd...

Pot...kettle.

#48 6 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Says the Linux nerd...
Pot...kettle.

It's linux geek. Nerd has a different connotation . And I never had any issues. Have a great career, hot wife and a great son so I'm cool

#49 6 years ago
Quoted from guyincognito:

Thanks for letting him have access to your pins!

Lol after 3 hrs he couldn't figure out the rules? Better stick to vids. They are easier

#50 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Lol after 3 hrs he couldn't figure out the rules? Better stick to vids. They are easier

If you'd watch his other vids where he's playing the games you can clearly tell he's a 'casual' type player. Good for him, I say. I got way more picky with which pins I find to be "fun" when I got more involved with tournaments. It's a lot easier for someone that doesn't take everything so bloody serious (because it's their pet project, because they work for the company, because of habit, becuase of tournament type play preference, etc..) to be HONEST about a subject and put the opinion out there. Honestly, he made some good points. I personally don't find the LCD distracting.....because I don't look at it? =| But I can see how if you're a very casual player who's used to these Stern games that just tell you what to shoot for on the inserts, WOZ could be a little confusing at first.

And man, if that video doesn't drive home the fact that this game has no freakin' GI.......lol...thank god the only places I've been able to play it were very well lit.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
There are 264 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside