(Topic ID: 128699)

Classic Sterns Produced Again? From Stern's Facebook page.

By Nuclear_Waste

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 318 posts
  • 114 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Tommy-dog
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

403432-i.jpg
    401891.jpg
    401689-i.jpg
    $_57.JPG
    59775.jpg
    DSCF7688.JPG
    DSCF7701.JPG
    DSCF7699.JPG
    side2.jpg
    Nugent-backglass1.jpg
    image.jpg
    Big Game remake Topper.PNG
    rap_graph.jpg
    giphy.gif
    sternclassic.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rotordave.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#144 8 years ago
    Quoted from MMP:

NIB Seawitch for $2500? YES please!

Wishful thinking there .... $4999 maybe.

Funny that you guys are discussing Seawitch. I had a sleepless night in HongKong the other night, and I came up with some simple gameplay upgrades for Seawitch which would bring gameplay into the 2015s. Very simple to implement.

You could easily run the game from the new Stern Board. Those things probably cost like $100. Would be way cheaper than anything else.

Maybe I'll have a chat to Gary when I'm up that way in October. I'm coming Gary! My shout!

rd

#156 8 years ago
    Quoted from Classic_Stern:

That would be a significant down grade to any classic stern.

If it isn't "enhanced", who will buy it?

You can buy a completely mint Seawitch for sub $2k. Why pay $5k for the same thing?

One of my gameplay ideas was - drop all three drop target banks (the main aim of the current Seawitch) and the game adds a ball and starts 2x playfiled scoring. Manage to keep the 2 balls in play and knock down all three banks again, add a third ball and start 3x scoring.

I love my old games (check out my collection..) but looking at it from a marketing point of view, which you need to do as a businessman, a lot of new buyers want multiball. They want LED lamps. The old traditionalists aren't going to buy it anyway. Same as Whoa Nelly.

rd.

#165 8 years ago

Yea that is true. We agree... I do have about 15-20 classic stern layouts I made in the 80's that I sent to the factory I had designed. I need to post some of those. They were pretty cool. I also have a full art package and layout that I did as a concept.

There's so much potential with this concept (of re-releasing/creating classic pins) ... It just needs someone passionate driving it along.

Quoted from rollitover:

Whoa Nelly has its market and Classic Sterns have theirs. The two are not synonymous.

I sorta think they are exactly the same.

You look at the Whoa Nelly threads ... The long time EM guys ain't buying them. Don't see one in Odins games room any time soon ... He could buy one if he wanted to, but he'd rather buy 10x genuine old ones instead.

Same with the SS guys. I don't want to speak for them all ... But Classic Stern and Dr Dave would probably not be the first in the queue to purchase a $4999 Seawitch, they already have mint ones they probably paid $1000 for years ago.

The "demographic" for purchasers would be the same as Whoa Nelly. Guys who want a EM/classic looking machine, but want it to work 100% every time they turn it on, and something that doesn't scare them when they lift the playfiled and see 100x 40 year old relays down there ... That's pretty scary for most people.

So a "new" Seawitch could look externally identical as the 1979 one ... Except with the gameplay features that a modern game offers. All "turn off-able" with a change of the menu. Imagine a Seawitch or Meteor with a 3 ball multiball and 3x scoring running? How cool would that be?

rd.

#177 8 years ago

You cannot find a mint Seawitch for less then 2K. First off they are all faded. You cannot even find them restored that are correct. I paid almost 2000 dollars just for an NOS backglass and NOS playfield that I still had to fix and that is still not brand new. Plus harness; boards; posts, plastics, etc. Show me an unfaded; brand new looking seawitch for 2k?

You won't find a brand new looking 35 year old machine anywhere. . Unless you find a NIB stashed somewhere (like those two Black Knights a few years back) or do a complete ground up resto like that awesome $5000 Centaur that was up for sale on Pinside a while back.

"Mint" is all relevant in my eyes, but I'm a realist. None of my games would be good enough for some of the dudes on this forum, but they are all tidy for their age and what they've been through since they've been made. "Mint" was the wrong word for me to use here ... "Tidy" would have been more appropriate.

There was a "very tidy" Seawitch for $1400 in Los Angeles not long ago ... I almost grabbed it but I have my mates Seawitch living in my house anyway, so I didn't.

I scored an "extremely tidy" Meteor for $700 in Los Angeles last year. Probably as tidy as any of the SS machines I own, plays super sweet too. Cool game. The guy had it for sale for months and months for $800 and couldn't find a taker.

rd.

#181 8 years ago
    Quoted from jay:

If it's the one I'm thinking of, and the only one I've seen for sale in SoCal, it had a layer of polyurethane that was brushed on with a thick fat paintbrush. You could see heavy stroke marks over the entire playfield and there were not so good touchups underneath it. It looked pretty good in photos but in person it was pretty awful IMO.

Not that one, fortunately.

rd.

#195 8 years ago
    Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

As I already posted earlier in this thread, Stern Pinball has confirmed to me that they own the IP for all games they have ever made, including Stern Electronics.

Guns N Roses Vault Edition anyone?

rd.

#197 8 years ago
    Quoted from thedarkknight77:

RD, You are a genius, but GnR is a wide body??? I thought they said they would never do a wide body? I pray to the pinball gods!

Gary would make anything if he could spin a buck!

I woulda said Rocky n Bullwinkle but unfortunately there wouldn't have been many takers for that one ... (Even though it's a cool game)

I guess GnR is pretty much the only mass produced DE game that pulls big bucks in the used market? Nothing else comes to mind really... JPs and Tommys are pretty cheap in comparison.

rd.

#205 8 years ago

I agree. I do believe you have to be less then $3k to really pull volume.

Business 101 says they'd be better to make 500 machines at $4999 than 1500 at $3000.

Hypothetically.... Assuming a build cost of $2500 (pulled totally from thin air, for the basis of comparison ...)

Retail $3000 : $500 profit x 1500 machines : total profit = $750,000

Retail $4999 : $2500 profit x 500 machines : total profit = $1,250,000

The $2500 cost is probably low but you get the gist. Same as Whoa Nelly, they knew they weren't going to sell 2000 of them so they made it $6000 and hoped they'd move 400-500 of them.

And those are retail prices too ... Not wholesale. But you get the drift ...

rd.

#211 8 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

While i agree i think thereis one other point to consider. Stern wants to grow the hobby into an industry. They need a lower entry point option for some than a Stern pro. A $2,500 NIB product is that lower price point option.

Ain't gonna happen. Ever.

Because if they do that, then everyone will say "hey, why is my KISS Pro $5999 retail when they can make a machine for $2999? It's basically exactly the same!! Same cabinet, same computer!!" Etc etc etc.

rd.

#218 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Exactly.
    Stern needs to cash in now, before the pinball fad fades again.

They are cashing in. A KISS pro is $5999.

Quoted from TigerLaw:

You make another valid point, no doubt. But if Stern wants to grow the market they need a lower price point option than what they currently have

They tried that already with THE PIN at $2999.

By all accounts it didn't set the world on fire.

I fully understand what you're saying ... And I concur ... However I think the pin market is a bit more complicated. You have a lot of guys who only want cheaper pins, sub $1500ish. Then you have the big spenders (lots here on Pinside) who only want the A-grades. None of these market sectors would buy THE PIN. It sorta falls in the gap in the centre.

I think if you had a new Seawitch at $3999 retail, it would sell very well.

rd.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rotordave.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/classic-sterns-produced-again-from-sterns-facebook-page?tu=rotordave and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.