(Topic ID: 128699)

Classic Sterns Produced Again? From Stern's Facebook page.

By Nuclear_Waste

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 318 posts
  • 114 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Tommy-dog
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

403432-i.jpg
    401891.jpg
    401689-i.jpg
    $_57.JPG
    59775.jpg
    DSCF7688.JPG
    DSCF7701.JPG
    DSCF7699.JPG
    side2.jpg
    Nugent-backglass1.jpg
    image.jpg
    Big Game remake Topper.PNG
    rap_graph.jpg
    giphy.gif
    sternclassic.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lyonsronnie1.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#112 8 years ago

As much as I would love to see them re run stuff, the problem they're going to continuously run into with that is they're not going to be able to make them cheap enough.

I don't believe they can rebuild... Seawitch or whatever for the price that it cost them to build "The Pin" and that game had to be 3k. You could buy a super nice original Seawitch for $1500 or so...

I just don't see how they're going to be able to make money on a rerelease. I'll bet if they release one, they do something drastic to the gameplay or cabinet and try to use that as a selling point that adds major value.

Whoa Nellie was 6k and any re-run would have a similar BOM wouldn't it?

#134 8 years ago

Next question: I wonder if they own the assets of the arcade video games, then? I believe they were made under the same banner.... lots of cool games like Berzerk, Frenzy, Lost Tomb, Minefield, etc.

#143 8 years ago

I was reading about Harry Williams today... when Gary Stern started Stern by buying Chicago Coin's assets, his father Sam Stern called Harry Williams who was in his early 70's at the time and talked him into designing some games. Sam Stern and Harry Williams had founded Williams Pinball in the 40's and sold the company in the 60's.

So when Gary started Stern, Harry Williams designed about a dozen games for them! This includes Flight 2000, which was one of his last, he died in 1983 (Flight 2000 came out in late 1980).

Stuff like that's interesting to me, but think of the love for those games Gary must have. Stuff his father, and Gary, and Harry Williams dreamed up and worked on 35 years ago.

#180 8 years ago

WonkoTSane yes they own all the rights, Captain Kirk contacted them and was informed.

#221 8 years ago

Once you get over 3 grand, very few people are going to buy one because again, you can buy the originals for much less. You'd sell some at 3k.

Then Stern gets to provide a full warranty and all the headache that comes with that, for a 3k machine that they're making less than a grand profit on.

Negative.

They're not going to sell full pinball machines for less than 5k, again all you have to do is look at the Whoa Nellie setup. Look how expensive that ended up being, and it's the same story, much simpler to build than a 'pro' you would think, but in reality it still has the same complicated, hand-built process. Building a classic Stern is not much different than building a Pro, you lose the cost of ramps but now have the cost of a backglass. You don't have a DMD ($50?) but now you've got alpha Numeric displays ($40?). You've got the same playfield, same cabinet, same wiring harness, even same boardset. The place they really need to shave expense is in physically building the game, and they're not going to save much money on that.

Still don't see either how the 'pin' is more complicated than a classic Stern. It's more complicated in software, and the playfield has a couple ramps, but everything else would be the same or more difficult.

#266 8 years ago

Why would a remade classic Stern be cheaper than Whoa Nellie?

#272 8 years ago

Whoa Nellie had already had the design work developed before Stern got it's hands on it, and the game still ended up being 6k.

It had a small LCD and 4 reels, but a classic Stern would have 5 LED displays... might actually cost more.

The crazy custom cabinet.... you mean, like if Stern re-tooled the line to make the crazy custom cabinets classic Stern's (or Ballys) had? Same thing, different is custom.

The crate was a crate, no way that shaves even $400 off the price is Stern's getting complete cabinets for $300....

Whatever work hours it took to make the developers Whoa Nellie work on Spike (or whatever's in it) will be the same work hours it takes Stern to make a classic Stern work on Spike.

I just don't see it happening inexpensively, and if it doesn't happen inexpensively nobody's going to buy it.

#273 8 years ago

Just thought of 1 thing, though... they probably COULD save some money if they stenciled the cabinets instead of decaling them. And they'd probably look better for a classic game...

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lyonsronnie1.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/classic-sterns-produced-again-from-sterns-facebook-page?tu=lyonsronnie1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.