(Topic ID: 128699)

Classic Sterns Produced Again? From Stern's Facebook page.

By Nuclear_Waste

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 318 posts
  • 114 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Tommy-dog
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

403432-i.jpg
    401891.jpg
    401689-i.jpg
    $_57.JPG
    59775.jpg
    DSCF7688.JPG
    DSCF7701.JPG
    DSCF7699.JPG
    side2.jpg
    Nugent-backglass1.jpg
    image.jpg
    Big Game remake Topper.PNG
    rap_graph.jpg
    giphy.gif
    sternclassic.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jwilson.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#111 8 years ago

I highly doubt they'd re-release licensed games. The licensing world is really different now and I doubt they could afford it.

#119 8 years ago
    Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

Licenses often aren't that expensive.

No, but now you need to negotiate every part separately.

When WMS licensed, say, Demolition Man, they got *everything* - the name, movie footage, still images, actor's likeness, music. Now that's all separate licenses. Check out the ordeal Stern went through for PoTC.

#122 8 years ago
    Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

Would be no different then what they did to license the recent Star Trek.

Yes, but Star Trek is a current game at a $6500 price point, not a classic Stern at $2500-$3000.

#126 8 years ago

Why pay a license fee at all when your most popular classic games don't have one?

#208 8 years ago

They seem to have sold a ton of Whoa Nellys.

#224 8 years ago

Vid is making a lot of sense. If they could produce The Pin for $2,500, they could produce Stargazer for the same money.

All the dev work is done, and all the parts to make it already exist, like the LED display replacements. But there'd need to be some dev time to use Spike. Although, they have the work done on Whoa Nelly that they could translate to this (ie. the tiny DMD could be mounted inside the coin door.)

#226 8 years ago

I thought of that, but that would require using the Bally wiring and all the other boards. And LEDs would require more work.

#228 8 years ago

Are all the Bally boards reproduced now? Including the power supply?

#239 8 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

I just don't see old Sterns selling all that well.

Don't think of it as an old Stern, think of it sitting in the gameroom store at the mall all shiny and new where a non-pinhead might see it and buy one classic-looking game for his man cave.

#245 8 years ago

I would imagine it would be cheaper and easier to just get PinMAME running on Spike than to put all the repro Bally boards in there, or just recode the games from scratch natively. I mean, we're not talking about complex rulesets here.

One platform is easier to support, and easier to build.

#247 8 years ago

PinMAME has already done all the hard work for them, I don't imagine it would take more than a couple of weeks to interface it to the SPIKE system. I mean, the P-ROC guys have it working pretty well for the much more complicated Sys11 and WPC MPUs.

#249 8 years ago

I'm 100% positive there's a Linux port, and ARM isn't an issue - PinMAME runs on Raspberry Pi and that's an ARM chip, isn't it?

#252 8 years ago

It's the internet and it's our hobby. It's fun to speculate.

#254 8 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

You still need to do all the hardware drivers tho.. that's not free work. Spike also doesn't work off a central driver board like the bally/stern system did... so you'll be redesigning all the harnesses and new driver boards, etc.. or at least designing a new driver board to use the old harness designs.

No, you just use a driver to match up the PinMAME calls to drivers in the SPIKE system. This is how PinMAME on P-ROC works - you map WPC calls to lamps/coils and translate back in switch matrix events.

How do you think Pinbot 2.0 works when in 1.0 mode?

#255 8 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

The irony is having to have all those segment displays would probably be more expensive then a DMD

Retail price on those displays is $54. It might be about the same price as a DMD in the end?

#260 8 years ago

Yeah, I'm just dreaming out loud here. At least it's a dream that could possibly come true.

#263 8 years ago

Also, a modern cabinet but a classic playfield? That would be weird and turn off the primary market.

#265 8 years ago

I think cabinets are made by an outside contractor anyway? So it's just part of the BOM calculation to do classic-style cabinets. I wouldn't expect them to be identical but at least they'd look right.

I could see the classic coin door being crazy expensive, that's a big slab of stainless.

#279 8 years ago
    Quoted from LyonsRonnie1:

Whoa Nellie had already had the design work developed before Stern got it's hands on it, and the game still ended up being 6k

The Whoa Nelly Stern is selling is basically a completely different game from what it started as.

It had a small LCD and 4 reels, but a classic Stern would have 5 LED displays... might actually cost more.

Like I previously said, the Bally LED 7-digit displays retail for $54 each, so wholesale would be less. Maybe $200 for all five displays?

The crazy custom cabinet.... you mean, like if Stern re-tooled the line to make the crazy custom cabinets classic Stern's (or Ballys) had? Same thing, different is custom.

I'm pretty sure someone else physically makes the cabinets. You can buy a WPC cabinet as a flatpack for $200, I imagine this would be about the same or cheaper.

Whatever work hours it took to make the developers Whoa Nellie work on Spike (or whatever's in it) will be the same work hours it takes Stern to make a classic Stern work on Spike.

Hmm, maybe. There'd definitely be some time to get it working.

Most of the BOM would be in hard parts like all the drop targets, which would need to either be adapted to current Stern parts (bleh) or get the old ones remade ($$$?).

#304 8 years ago

Off-topic, I wonder why they went with what are essentially slot reels. I guess they might be off-the-shelf parts they could buy? Cheaper than real solenoid-driven reels?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jwilson.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/classic-sterns-produced-again-from-sterns-facebook-page?tu=jwilson and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.