(Topic ID: 128699)

Classic Sterns Produced Again? From Stern's Facebook page.

By Nuclear_Waste

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 316 posts
  • 112 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by cooked71
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 15 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

403432-i.jpg
    401891.jpg
    401689-i.jpg
    $_57.JPG
    59775.jpg
    DSCF7688.JPG
    DSCF7701.JPG
    DSCF7699.JPG
    side2.jpg
    Nugent-backglass1.jpg
    image.jpg
    Big Game remake Topper.PNG
    rap_graph.jpg
    giphy.gif
    sternclassic.png

There are 316 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 7.
    #101 4 years ago
    Quoted from erak:

Why not Sega and Data East pins.

How much would a rethemed Baywatch go for, or cost to make for that matter.

#102 4 years ago
    Quoted from thedefog:

Waterjet! I wish they had a version of one that wasn't 100k for home use.

$5K is as low as I've heard them makeable:

www.youtube.com/watch?t=10&v=1qiMELAMxes

#103 4 years ago

I've always hoped they'd do some remade classics or even newer themes made to fit in with the earlier stern era.

#104 4 years ago

The new star roll overs were not just made for TWD, I knew there was a larger picture too be seen.
    Then came WNBJM..........

#105 4 years ago

From another thread...

Quoted from sanctumwear:

I'm pretty sure Stern Electronics Inc officially closed from 84-86? before Gary started Pinstar and Data East Pinball was started. I know a few years ago Stern Pinball Inc still had employees that were working for them since the Chicago Coin purchase, but it wasn't officially the same business for all those years. I've heard that a Stern family member owns the SEI rights to vids/pins but she doesn't legally enforce any copyright laws. I'd guess that Steve Young probably knows.

Quoted from greatwichjohn:

I just got tired of saying the same thing over & over again on forums. Ex wife is my understanding.

#106 4 years ago

My guess is it is a hint that a new band Iron Maiden pinball will be made.

Considering the band themes lately.
    And that stern made an Irom maiden pin. Not band related. But the same name anyway.

With all the cryptic posts bobblehead video etc. I think its highly likely.

#107 4 years ago
    Quoted from erak:

My guess is it is a hint that a new band Iron Maiden pinball will be made.
    Considering the band themes lately.
    And that stern made an Irom maiden pin. Not band related. But the same name anyway.
    With all the cryptic posts bobblehead video etc. I think its highly likely.

That would be interesting, based off of the exact repro of the original Iron Maiden design, right down to the beeps and boops only sounds...

Here's your Iron Maiden pin. That'll be $8 grand.

NOPE! I'll just let the guys who bought The Pin buy this one. Yikes!

image.jpg

#108 4 years ago

If they can dig up the BOM and plans to build Hypnox, you got my attention

#109 4 years ago
    Quoted from Magic_Mike:

Why not Sega and Data East pins.

I'd love to see 1991 Data East Batman brought back out, with upgraded sound.

#110 4 years ago
    Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

And with new rules and a DMD.
    Ninja turtles too.

As long as they are the price of sterns "the pin"
    It would be worth it. For a nib
    Sega or DE.

#111 4 years ago

I highly doubt they'd re-release licensed games. The licensing world is really different now and I doubt they could afford it.

#112 4 years ago

As much as I would love to see them re run stuff, the problem they're going to continuously run into with that is they're not going to be able to make them cheap enough.

I don't believe they can rebuild... Seawitch or whatever for the price that it cost them to build "The Pin" and that game had to be 3k. You could buy a super nice original Seawitch for $1500 or so...

I just don't see how they're going to be able to make money on a rerelease. I'll bet if they release one, they do something drastic to the gameplay or cabinet and try to use that as a selling point that adds major value.

Whoa Nellie was 6k and any re-run would have a similar BOM wouldn't it?

#113 4 years ago

People will laugh but I like space jam's layout and think it'd be a solid pin with an in depth rule set and some audio tweaks.

#114 4 years ago
    Quoted from LyonsRonnie1:

I don't believe they can rebuild... Seawitch or whatever for the price that it cost them to build "The Pin"

The Pin was $2500 delivered to your door by Amazon.

Seawitch is a much simpler game to manufacturer than The Pin:

No license

No ramps

No music

No multiball

No flashers

No speech

There is no reason Stern could not deliver a brand new Seawitch to your door for less than $2500

#115 4 years ago

Some of the mentioned titles would be cool. Big Game, Sea Witch, Orbit 1 or maybe even Lightning or Split Second would all be cool with updated systems. No clue what price they would fetch as they are around and not crazy expensive just a little harder to find.

#116 4 years ago

Again, does Stern Pinball own the IP of Stern Electronics? I think they do, but have never had anyone conform this.

Did Gary buy the IP of Stern Electronics at some point in the DE/Sega days?

#117 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinmanguy:

People will laugh but I like Space Jam's layout and think it'd be a solid pin with an in depth rule set and some audio tweaks.

Wasn't that exactly what NBA was??

#118 4 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

I highly doubt they'd re-release licensed games. The licensing world is really different now and I doubt they could afford it.

Licenses often aren't that expensive.

#119 4 years ago

No, but now you need to negotiate every part separately.

When WMS licensed, say, Demolition Man, they got *everything* - the name, movie footage, still images, actor's likeness, music. Now that's all separate licenses. Check out the ordeal Stern went through for PoTC.

#120 4 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

No, but now you need to negotiate every part separately.
    When WMS licensed, say, Demolition Man, they got *everything* - the name, movie footage, still images, actor's likeness, music. Now that's all separate licenses. Check out the ordeal Stern went through for PoTC.

Would be no different then what they did to license the recent Star Trek.

#121 4 years ago

Again, does Stern Pinball own the IP of Stern Electronics? I think they do, but have never had anyone conform this.
    Did Gary buy the IP of Stern Electronics at some point in the DE/Sega days?

I heard his ex-wife owned them. That is pure rumor-mill though.

#122 4 years ago

Would be no different then what they did to license the recent Star Trek.

Yes, but Star Trek is a current game at a $6500 price point, not a classic Stern at $2500-$3000.

#123 4 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

I heard his ex-wife owned them. That is pure rumor-mill though.

If you look at Flight 2000 on the Pinball Arcade, it has the modern Stern Pinball logo on it.

That makes me think Stern Pinball owns all of the Stern Electronics IP, but I'd love someone with knowledge on this to chime in.

#124 4 years ago

NIB Seawitch for $2500? YES please!

#125 4 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Yes, but Star Trek is a current game at a $6500 price point, not a classic Stern at $2500-$3000.

So is Whoa Nellie, with no license.

License isn't the biggest expense.

#126 4 years ago

Why pay a license fee at all when your most popular classic games don't have one?

#127 4 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Why pay a license fee at all when your most popular classic games don't have one?

The Batman license never goes out of style.

#128 4 years ago
    Quoted from CraigC:

you can sub in chimes from an earlier MPU-100 game.

Is there a project page for this? There are more than 3 sound effects (I think 6... 10,100,1000 and 10K beeps, a peeww on pops and wowowow on bonus advance. How do those all translate to chimes, and what's the recommended source for a chime box?

I have a Drac and would love to switch in chimes for the pong sounds.

#129 4 years ago
    Quoted from MMP:

good luck with that

#130 4 years ago

Nugent would probably be less expensive now than in the 70s

The Tea Baggers would go nuts for this!

Nugent-backglass1.jpg
    #131 4 years ago

Gottlieb Gottlieb Gottlieb Gottlieb Seems to be flooding the top 100 EM's on pinside.

#132 4 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Needs to be rethemed into the Mad Max Fury Road guitar player.

#133 4 years ago

Just got an official response from Stern. They own the intellectual assets to all games going back to Stern Electronics.

Excellent, huh? Maybe we can get a Berzerk pin!

#134 4 years ago

Next question: I wonder if they own the assets of the arcade video games, then? I believe they were made under the same banner.... lots of cool games like Berzerk, Frenzy, Lost Tomb, Minefield, etc.

#135 4 years ago

Next question: I wonder if they own the assets of the arcade video games, then? I believe they were made under the same banner.... lots of cool games like Berzerk, Frenzy, Lost Tomb, Minefield, etc.

They said "Every game".

#136 4 years ago

Yeah... this is my Stern / Konami Pooyan.....
    side2.jpg

#137 4 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

It's a Classic Stern thread. I don't see a reason to interject politics, unless you just want to be a killjoy.

#138 4 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

This would be cool. not sure how many wide bodies their were, but I think most were standard. Big Game is the only wide body I know of.

There are a few. Flight 2000 is a widebody. Very different play than Big Game but a really great title. Designed by Harry Williams no less!

One question I have - wasn't the Stern of that era a completely different company? Did they buy the IP?

#139 4 years ago

I think they should do just 1 classic Stern just to see what happens. Test the waters a bit. There's MM, but what if you take a step back for a simpler pin. No elaborate side graphics, ramps, and not too many proprietary parts. If CPR can make playfields, backglasses & plastics, what's not to make the rest of the machine around it? It doesn't even have to be 100% like the original under the PF to do it.

The only choke point I could see would be score displays. Just about anything else would be "off the shelf" hardware. If a Big Game(for example) was using modern Stern flippers, no biggie. Set it at a good price point, and it just might be something good here. As games get older, more pfs get blown out, things get destroyed/parted out.

#140 4 years ago
    Quoted from RazerX:

If they can dig up the BOM and plans to build Hypnox, you got my attention

Lazer lord was found. It's probably sitting around somewhere.

#141 4 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

Is there a project page for this? There are more than 3 sound effects (I think 6... 10,100,1000 and 10K beeps, a peeww on pops and wowowow on bonus advance. How do those all translate to chimes, and what's the recommended source for a chime box?
    I have a Drac and would love to switch in chimes for the pong sounds.

The audio board interprets the 4 solinoids power and converts into sound. You would just need to wire it up like stars or sea Ray. I've seen this done before on system 1 games and clay has info on his site for that. This should be the same concept.

-c

#142 4 years ago
    Quoted from wnorwich89:

It's a Classic Stern thread. I don't see a reason to interject politics, unless you just want to be a killjoy.

Nugent is about as Classic Stern as you can get.

Tea Baggers are a possible sales demographic, as the Kiss Army was for KISS.

You don't have to belong to any political mindset to see opportunity - just like you don't have to be a Jew to understand the Jewish people might be a great market for turkey bacon.

#143 4 years ago

I was reading about Harry Williams today... when Gary Stern started Stern by buying Chicago Coin's assets, his father Sam Stern called Harry Williams who was in his early 70's at the time and talked him into designing some games. Sam Stern and Harry Williams had founded Williams Pinball in the 40's and sold the company in the 60's.

So when Gary started Stern, Harry Williams designed about a dozen games for them! This includes Flight 2000, which was one of his last, he died in 1983 (Flight 2000 came out in late 1980).

Stuff like that's interesting to me, but think of the love for those games Gary must have. Stuff his father, and Gary, and Harry Williams dreamed up and worked on 35 years ago.

#144 4 years ago
    Quoted from MMP:

Wishful thinking there .... $4999 maybe.

Funny that you guys are discussing Seawitch. I had a sleepless night in HongKong the other night, and I came up with some simple gameplay upgrades for Seawitch which would bring gameplay into the 2015s. Very simple to implement.

You could easily run the game from the new Stern Board. Those things probably cost like $100. Would be way cheaper than anything else.

Maybe I'll have a chat to Gary when I'm up that way in October. I'm coming Gary! My shout!

rd

#145 4 years ago
    Quoted from jonnyo:

One question I have - wasn't the Stern of that era a completely different company? Did they buy the IP?

Yes. And Yes.

#146 4 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

Funny that you guys are discussing Seawitch. I had a sleepless night in HongKong the other night, and I came up with some simple gameplay upgrades for Seawitch which would bring gameplay into the 2015s. Very simple to implement.
    You could easily run the game from the new Stern Board. Those things probably cost like $100. Would be way cheaper than anything else.
    Maybe I'll have a chat to Gary when I'm up that way in October. I'm coming Gary! My shout!
    rd

Hey man a guy can dream, right?

Be sure to ask Gary what the status is on that LOTR VE while you're there.

#147 4 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

rd

I love the idea of (optional, original available too) upgrades to old school games with some more modern rule thinking.

#148 4 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

I love the idea of (optional, original available too) upgrades to old school games with some more modern rule thinking.

Ball save and switchable bonus lanes come to mind.

#149 4 years ago
    Quoted from s1500:

Ball save and switchable bonus lanes come to mind.

That would be a significant down grade to any classic stern.

#150 4 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Nugent is about as Classic Stern as you can get.

Tea Baggers are a possible sales demographic, as the Kiss Army was for KISS.

You don't have to belong to any political mindset to see opportunity - just like you don't have to be a Jew to understand the Jewish people might be a great market for turkey bacon.

Why use the derogatory term, then? You could make your point like a reasonable person.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Lighting - Interactive
    TheDudeMods
    £ 58.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Sillyoldelf Mods
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Lighting - Interactive
    Pinball Z
    $ 6.00
    Electronics
    German-Pinball-Modular
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 319.00
    Displays
    Boston Pinball Company
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Deadpool Premium Out of stock
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 349.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    € 279.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 45.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ...redshiftLED
    $ 89.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 229.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 109.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Tilted Pinball
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    There are 316 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 7.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside