(Topic ID: 128699)

Classic Sterns Produced Again? From Stern's Facebook page.

By Nuclear_Waste

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 318 posts
  • 114 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Tommy-dog
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

403432-i.jpg
    401891.jpg
    401689-i.jpg
    $_57.JPG
    59775.jpg
    DSCF7688.JPG
    DSCF7701.JPG
    DSCF7699.JPG
    side2.jpg
    Nugent-backglass1.jpg
    image.jpg
    Big Game remake Topper.PNG
    rap_graph.jpg
    giphy.gif
    sternclassic.png
    There are 318 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 7.
    #51 8 years ago

Maybe they would update a classic stern with a DMD. That would be an interesting twist.

#52 8 years ago

Fluorescent tube and translite in the backbox = blasphemy!

(as someone who doesn't use LEDs, that will bother me too)

#53 8 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Maybe they would update a classic stern with a DMD. That would be an interesting twist.

maybe like a combo of the class numeric displays and one of those apron LCDs.

#54 8 years ago

If they did release a "new" classic stern - my money would be on Flight 2000. Playfield, plastics and Backglass have already been done. All that would be needed would be cabinet, soundboard, wire loom and transformer. MPU/Lamp/Solenoid drivers/displays and Rectifier boards are readily available.

#55 8 years ago

I will take a NIB Nine Ball and they can finally finish the code.

#56 8 years ago
    Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

Orbitor 1 is coming back!

My wife bought one last year and I told her she was crazy. She sold it about 6 months later and again, I told her she was crazy. I really liked it. It's just a wacky game that's pure fun and I'd have liked to keep it around. But, I don't tell her what to do with her games and she doesn't tell me what to do with mine.

#57 8 years ago
    Quoted from jwo825:

My wife bought one last year and I told her she was crazy. She sold it about 6 months later and again, I told her she was crazy. I really liked it. It's just a wacky game that's pure fun and I'd have liked to keep it around. But, I don't tell her what to do with her games and she doesn't tell me what to do with mine.

Your wife buys pins? Mine won't even look at them.

#58 8 years ago
    Quoted from thedefog:

Your wife buys pins? Mine won't even look at them.

Yeah. In fact, she got us into the hobby because she wanted a Freddy. The CV and TOTAN in my collection are actually hers and the IJ and TS are mine. The LAH is actually sold and I just need to deliver the thing.

#59 8 years ago

It would be nice if they at least made some new parts for the old games. If they had repro Nine Ball playfields up for sale, I wouldn't be able to get my payment out fast enough. Take my money please!

#60 8 years ago
    Quoted from maglar:

It would be nice if they at least made some new parts for the old games. If they had repro Nine Ball playfields up for sale, I wouldn't be able to get my payment out fast enough. Take my money please!

The tooling is cost prohibitive. If there's a $20k-$25k tooling cost, there's no way they would be able to sell enough $5 parts to get all of that back and make a profit.

The most that you can hope for is that an enthusiast takes the initiative to re-make the part by hand and offers a limited number to the community.

#61 8 years ago

They already have the tooling, and everybody thinks it is hard to program a CNC machine, it is not. Redoing the art would be the hardest part buy I am sure there are people that work at Stern that would make that work look easy.

#62 8 years ago

I would enjoy a nice new seawitch.

#63 8 years ago

I would think it would be cool to bring back an old title but make a sequel sort of with a DMD and incorporate a lot of the elements of the original. Kind of like what they did with the new KISS.
    Revenge of the Seawitch perhaps!

#64 8 years ago

The classics are already out there and repro parts are becoming available to make them look and play like new again (or better than new). I'd much rather see new original games, perhaps in the "classic" style. Say a single-level, drop target and spinner type game, but with deeper rules (and modern sounds) made possible by the expanded memory capacity. Might as well make new original art too (with retro style) instead of trying to reproduce the art of games of the era.

#65 8 years ago
    Quoted from homebrood:

I would think it would be cool to bring back an old title but make a sequel sort of with a DMD and incorporate a lot of the elements of the original. Kind of like what they did with the new KISS.
    Revenge of the Seawitch perhaps!

I'm not sure a giant spinning Seawitch head on the playfield would be well received...

#66 8 years ago
    Quoted from DrJoe:

The classics are already out there and repro parts are becoming available to make them look and play like new again (or better than new). I'd much rather see new original games, perhaps in the "classic" style. Say a single-level, drop target and spinner type game, but with deeper rules (and modern sounds) made possible by the expanded memory capacity. Might as well make new original art too (with retro style) instead of trying to reproduce the art of games of the era.

This is a good idea too. Games like Dracula could be much better if the sounds were upgraded. that game's rules are pretty fun, but the beep boop sounds ruin it for me.

#67 8 years ago

Seawitch, catacomb, Meteor, Flight 2000 and so many other great ones from the 80's.

#68 8 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I'm not sure a giant spinning Seawitch head on the playfield would be well received...

It would be fine with, very cool actually.

#69 8 years ago

DrJoe, Homebrood; I think those are excellent ideas. Bring on the classic sequels.

#70 8 years ago

There's no way this is happening. Typical click bait.

#71 8 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

This is a good idea too. Games like Dracula could be much better if the sounds were upgraded. that game's rules are pretty fun, but the beep boop sounds ruin it for me.

you can sub in chimes from an earlier MPU-100 game.

-c

#72 8 years ago

This is all a great idea until they put their hand out and ask for 4k+. You can get 2 awesome condition classic sterns (-star gazer) for that money.

If they emulate the analog sounds/bad robotic voices badly, that could put folks off too.

I'm on the fence if this is something i would pony up for. maybe Star Gazer?

-c

#73 8 years ago

They would make a Seawitch, nothing else make sense. Hands down the best Classic Stern and none to be had in the wild in reasonable shape/price.

#74 8 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Yep that would help them charge a recockulus amount for one; no thanks.

#75 8 years ago

I would personally like it if they stayed AlphaNumeric. I can't understand why some people HAVE to have a dmd/lcd. I never look at it anyways.

#76 8 years ago
    Quoted from futurepinhead:

I would personally like it if they stayed AlphaNumeric. I can't understand why some people HAVE to have a dmd/lcd. I never look at it anyways.

or just Numeric. who needs letters? high score initials would be nice....and there starts the scope creep.

-c

#77 8 years ago
    Quoted from CraigC:

This is all a great idea until they put their hand out and ask for 4k+. You can get 2 awesome condition classic sterns (-star gazer) for that money.
    If they emulate the analog sounds/bad robotic voices badly, that could put folks off too.
    I'm on the fence if this is something i would pony up for. maybe Star Gazer?
    -c

Don't forget they want $5500 for WNBJM and other than a nice art package, there is nothing to the game mechanically speaking. Just imagine what they would want for a game with a deeper BOM.

#78 8 years ago
    Quoted from CraigC:

or just Numeric. who needs letters? high score initials would be nice....and there starts the scope creep.
    -c

one of the features I would want in a new one. Alphanumeric so that we can have a high score list on it. That, ball save options, modes, and multiballs. I think a neat classic feature of some of the other games from the 80s is the double or triple scoring when there are 2 or more balls in play. I feel like these are all easy improvements that could be made to some of these titles to help entice remake sales.

#79 8 years ago

Quicksilver!!!

#80 8 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

There's no way this is happening. Typical click bait.

Stern's new FB approach is going to burn out fast on here if they keep things cryptic. If they deliver soon after announcements, that is another thing (like hours later after a post). But a tease is a tease.
    rap_graph.jpgrap_graph.jpg

#81 8 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

one of the features I would want in a new one. Alphanumeric so that we can have a high score list on it. That, ball save options, modes, and multiballs....

Agreed, and a DMD, toppers, armor, LE model....

#82 8 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Agreed, and a DMD, toppers, armor, LE model....

haha. not all that. Just a few things to spice it up. Bascially I would want the game to look the exact same, but have some curveballs thrown into the tech and rules of the game.

#83 8 years ago

Big Game remake topper for sale. Her name is Tammy and she costs $1,000.

Big Game remake Topper.PNGBig Game remake Topper.PNG

#84 8 years ago
    Quoted from thedefog:

Stern's new FB approach is going to burn out fast on here if they keep things cryptic. If they deliver soon after announcements, that is another thing (like hours later after a post). But a tease is a tease.
    rap_graph.jpg

This is just typical Jared behavior. Enjoy the frequent pics, videos, etc. and ignore anything he types and he'll be much more tolerable.

#85 8 years ago

I have one available for sale.

Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

I would buy a Catacomb if they remake it.

#86 8 years ago

What if they do combo pins?

Remake seawitch as it is, and make a seawitch sequel in 2015 style.

#87 8 years ago
    Quoted from Plungemaster:

What if they do combo pins?
    Remake seawitch as it is, and make a seawitch sequel in 2015 style.

With the simplicity of the new SPIKE system, they COULD offer some classic Stern "plug and play" Playfields as a bonus when purchasing a normal new SPIKE game. You could drop it in your super expensive pro/premium/LE and when you tire of it, put the normal playfield back in. No need to come up with, or sell you a conversion cabinet.

#88 8 years ago

If they price them at $2500 like they did with "The Pin" (The Pins were much more complicated to make than the Classic Sterns), then I can see a bunch of new games in my collection.

#89 8 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

The tooling is cost prohibitive. If there's a $20k-$25k tooling cost, there's no way they would be able to sell enough $5 parts to get all of that back and make a profit.

The days of needing to make dies to stamp out metal parts for short runs are long gone.

Cut them with laser or waterjet, bend them in the CNC benders/rollers, and they are done.

You don't think that Cliffy makes tooling dies for all his metal parts, do you?

#90 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

If they price them at $2500 like they did with "The Pin" (The Pins were much more complicated to make than the Classic Sterns), then I can see a bunch of new games in my collection.

Vid, do you know if Stern Pinball own all the IP of Stern Electronics?

They seem to....but I've never seen anything official.

#91 8 years ago

Orbitor 2

I thought Gary's ex-wife owns all the IP for the original Stern and she doesn't enforce copyright. That's why backglasses and playfields are being remade for the 70's/80's sterns.
    Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here.

#92 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

The days of needing to make dies to stamp out metal parts for short runs are long gone.
    Cut them with laser or waterjet, bend them in the CNC benders/rollers, and they are done.
    You don't think that Cliffy makes tooling dies for all his metal parts, do you?

I imagined Cliffy had things laser cut and used bending templates of some sort.

I was thinking for lockbars, recievers, and various single-piece brackets. Can you make those easily with modern waterjets, benders, and rollers?

#93 8 years ago
    Quoted from DRDAVE:

I have one available for sale.

PM'd, just in case

#94 8 years ago
    Quoted from dgoett:

Orbitor 2
    I thought Gary's ex-wife owns all the IP for the original Stern and she doesn't enforce copyright. That's why backglasses and playfields are being remade for the 70's/80's sterns.
    Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here.

I think the Classic Stern backglasses lacked the Copyright notice, and thus are in the public domain.

Read about it here:

http://bgresto.com/?p=268

#95 8 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I was thinking for lockbars, recievers, and various single-piece brackets. Can you make those easily with modern waterjets, benders, and rollers?

Out of the above, only the Lockdown bar would require a mold.

Stern would of course use modern lockdown bars, because they already make them by the 10,000s

#96 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Cut them with laser or waterjet

Waterjet! I wish they had a version of one that wasn't 100k for home use. And $2500 would be a no brainer for a brand new re-issue classic.

#97 8 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Big Game remake topper for sale. Her name is Tammy and she costs $1,000.
    Big Game remake Topper.PNG (Click image to enlarge)

Also works well with Frontier.

#98 8 years ago
    Quoted from dgoett:

I thought Gary's ex-wife owns all the IP for the original Stern

That has always been what I have heard as well....

#99 8 years ago

Why not Sega and Data East pins.

#100 8 years ago
    Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

Orbitor 1 is coming back!

Whew! I'm glad I got mine for $300 back in the 90's.

There are 318 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/classic-sterns-produced-again-from-sterns-facebook-page/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.