(Topic ID: 128699)

Classic Sterns Produced Again? From Stern's Facebook page.

By Nuclear_Waste

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 316 posts
  • 112 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by cooked71
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 15 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

403432-i.jpg
    401891.jpg
    401689-i.jpg
    $_57.JPG
    59775.jpg
    DSCF7688.JPG
    DSCF7701.JPG
    DSCF7699.JPG
    side2.jpg
    Nugent-backglass1.jpg
    image.jpg
    Big Game remake Topper.PNG
    rap_graph.jpg
    giphy.gif
    sternclassic.png

There are 316 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.
    #1 5 years ago

From Sterns Facebook page. Are we going to see some Classic Stern titles produced again?

sternclassic.png

#2 5 years ago

they are determining prices and structure. pro, pre, le. 7k 8k, 9k, etc.

#3 5 years ago

Big Game remake. The only pin I would pre-order. haha.

#4 5 years ago

Seawitch!

#5 5 years ago

Didn't a Stampede press release leak, or was that an elaborate prank?

#6 5 years ago

The right titles and pricing, Id buy one.

#7 5 years ago

nine ball would be cool too. i have a seawitch. it would be interesting to see the difference in how it feels

#8 5 years ago

Here's what I'd want---and I believe it would be technically viable for most (but not all) classic stern titles:

-Sell me a "Classic Stern" Cabinet with a basic SPIKE (or whatever would work) system in it.
    -Let me buy individual (and affordable--I can dream, right?) Classic Stern populated playfields/translites with a standard connector that hooks up to the brain in my Classic Stern Cabinet.
    -Plug and play. Swap as desired.

Storing 10+ populated playfields might be a challenge, but I'd find a way!

#9 5 years ago

I'm not gonna lie...

I think this new Facebook megaposting is awesome, but these attempts at cryptic messages and "rumor catalysts" are getting annoying.

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from Nuclear_Waste:

Here's what I'd want---and I believe it would be technically viable for most (but not all) classic stern titles:
    -Sell me a "Classic Stern" Cabinet with a basic SPIKE (or whatever would work) system in it.
    -Let me buy individual (and affordable--I can dream, right?) Classic Stern populated playfields/translites with a standard connector that hooks up to the brain in my Classic Stern Cabinet.
    -Plug and play. Swap as desired.
    Storing 10+ populated playfields might be a challenge, but I'd find a way!

This would be cool. not sure how many wide bodies their were, but I think most were standard. Big Game is the only wide body I know of.

#11 5 years ago

I just don't see a way that Stern could make them affordable enough to compete with what is already out there. For under a thousand (and I've found them under 500) you can already get most classic Stern's in decent enough shape. Also, they made a TON of them.

Sure, some people would like a brand spanking new throwback pin, but populated pf's into generic cabinets is the only way I see it becoming a decision that most people would start to consider over just hunting down decent originals. Who knows what the NIB price would work out to, but would you rather have ONE sweet brand new "old" Stern, or FOUR originals that only needed a tiny bit of work?

That's a serious question. I know what I would choose. Make them modular though, and I have to start to really consider that option.

Oh, and Flight 2000 is a wide body classic Stern as well.

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

This would be cool. not sure how many wide bodies their were, but I think most were standard. Big Game is the only wide body I know of.

Iron Maiden is a wide body, isn't it?

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

They built 8 widebody production games from 1980 until they closed in 82, pretty much a 50/50 split between the two sizes during those years.

#14 5 years ago

Orbitor 1 is coming back!

#15 5 years ago

I hope they do this and the originals versions drop in price. I don't see Stern selling them for a price I would go for.

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from sanctumwear:

They built 8 widebody production games from 1980 until they closed in 82, pretty much a 50/50 split between the two sizes during those years.

okay well if they did this swap out option (which I think is a good idea), then sounds like you would have to make a standard and widebody cab.

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from jeffpm:

I hope they do this and the originals versions drop in price. I don't see Stern selling them for a price I would go for.

I think if this happened then it would be the only way I would sell my classic Stern. Assuming the new version plays great.

#20 5 years ago

I'm no engineer, but here's my thoughts. First, what if standard pf's had spacers? Now that might not work, because shooter rods would be off. Could the shooter rods be made adjustable? I don't know, but if not, then they'd be asymmetrical in the cabinet, which would drive me nuts.

I don't claim to be the most knowledgeable, but using jeffpm's quote about 8 and 8 as a fact, then why not make two different cabinets? Release a series of all eight games for each one. Make the customer want to "collect them all". Maybe even release a nice official cabinet to store the seven games you aren't currently using.

Once again, I will always prefer originals, but if they priced the modules reasonably, I could see myself getting caught up in the "collect them all" mentality.

#21 5 years ago

By my count, there are 35 Classic Stern titles that made it to production. And I think 8-10 of them are widebodies. I'm cool with just the standards to start!

And yes...I know there are numerous reasons that this "modular" idea would likely never come to an affordable fruition. But I can dream, right?

#22 5 years ago

Or ... What if P3 worked with Stern to create "classic" kits for the P3 system. Classic Sterns used standard playfield parts for the most part. So have P3 use a master board, ala the Altek Board system, that houses all Classic Stern games code and then sell kits to build classic Stern games with the P3 system.

Marcus

#23 5 years ago
    Quoted from Xerico:

Or ... What if P3 worked with Stern to create "classic" kits for the P3 system. Classic Sterns used standard playfield parts for the most part. So have P3 use a master board, ala the Altek Board system, that houses all Classic Stern games code and then sell kits to build classic Stern games with the P3 system.

That's a pretty cool thought. Stern is doing great right now comparatively to everyone else.

Imagine what they could have accomplished if JPop and SkitB hadn't taken a few million out of circulation....

#24 5 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

That's a pretty cool thought. Stern is doing great right now comparatively to everyone else.
    Imagine what they could have accomplished if JPop and SkitB hadn't taken a few million out of circulation....

Or JJP!

#25 5 years ago

As in JJP took money out of the market or he could have done a lot with the money JPop and SkitB took?

#26 5 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

As in JJP took money out of the market or he could have done a lot with the money JPop and SkitB took?

JJP took money out of the market.

#27 5 years ago

i'll buy a classic stern pin at a classic stern pin price.

#28 5 years ago

I would buy a Catacomb if they remake it.

#29 5 years ago
    Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

JJP took money out of the market.

Agreed, but he is putting product back into the market, albeit slowly.

#30 5 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Agreed, but he is putting product back into the market, albeit slowly.

giphy.gif
    #31 5 years ago

Spilt Second would be fun as well. !

#32 5 years ago
    Quoted from BangBackula:

I just don't see a way that Stern could make them affordable enough to compete with what is already out there. For under a thousand (and I've found them under 500) you can already get most classic Stern's in decent enough shape. Also, they made a TON of them.

They're apparently not particularly common on the West Coast, I rarely ever see classic Sterns, for sale or in collections. It's an era I'm actually pretty ignorant of as a result, I know Star Gazer and Nine Ball and Sea Witch, but that's kind of it.

#33 5 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

They're apparently not particularly common on the West Coast, I rarely ever see classic Sterns, for sale or in collections. It's an era I'm actually pretty ignorant of as a result, I know Star Gazer and Nine Ball and Sea Witch, but that's kind of it.

that's because we're keeping them all to ourselves here in the midwest

#34 5 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

there's some really sweet pins in that form factor.

#35 5 years ago
    Quoted from nocreditdot:

The right titles and pricing, Id buy one.

How does $6500 sound?

#36 5 years ago
    Quoted from DefaultGen:

How does $6500 sound?

nope

#37 5 years ago

Modern Stern doesn't own the Classic Stern IP, do they?

#38 5 years ago
    Quoted from ecurtz:

Kevin's working on that solution for them right now

#39 5 years ago
    Quoted from ecurtz:

When the Pinball Arcade has a classic Stern table, they use the modern Stern label on it.

It would appear that Stern Pinball owns the older IP.

Somebody is licensing it to Pinball Arcade.

#40 5 years ago

This would be welcome news should they actually follow through. Love Classic Stern machines. Would be awesome to play on a mint classic! They are unique in their own right and many have great art. Wish I owned more.

Quoted from BangBackula:I just don't see a way that Stern could make them affordable enough to compete with what is already out there. For under a thousand (and I've found them under 500) you can already get most classic Stern's in decent enough shape. Also, they made a TON of them.

Although there are Classics out there I would hardly say they are plentiful. Very few had production numbers in the four to six thousand range (6) and only one had what I would call a ton, that being Meteor, with over eight thousand. Their production numbers pale in comparison to many Bally titles from the same era. Good, clean Classic Sterns are hard to find.
    Would grab:
    Catacomb
    Big Game
    Quicksilver

Would be spectacular to own one or all of those titles brand spankin' new!

#41 5 years ago

Completely forgot about Viper too. that game looks like so much fun. Great artwork too.

#42 5 years ago

It would have to be one of the premier classic Sterns. All the others are great but not as popular.

Seawitch
    Nine Ball
    Star Gazer

Quicksilver (maybe)
    Flight 2000 (they made too many)
    Meteor (they made too many)

#43 5 years ago

I'd love to put a new Seawitch in the line-up

#44 5 years ago

I own two classic Sterns and if they could remake them with higher quality components then they might be successful. I own 7 classic Ballys and they were made far superior to the classic Sterns. Just look the cabinets, backglasses and light sockets just to name a few.

#45 5 years ago
    Quoted from PappyBoyington:

It would have to be one of the premier classic Sterns. All the others are great but not as popular.
    Seawitch
    Nine Ball
    Star Gazer
    Quicksilver (maybe)

And that is where my aforementioned ignorance shows. I knew the production numbers of Meteor and Flight 2000 off the top of my head and assumed the rest were similar.

#47 5 years ago

Seawitch
    Nine Ball
    Star Gazer
    Quicksilver (maybe)

I agree with this. If this does happen, I would assume that the most well known classic Sterns would be the ones to get re-made. Unfortunately, the most well known ones are not necessarily the best players IMO. Either way, would be very interested to see what Stern comes up with on this front.

#48 5 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

I agree with this. If this does happen, I would assume that the most well known classic Sterns would be the ones to get re-made. Unfortunately, the most well known ones are not necessarily the best players IMO. Either way, would be very interested to see what Stern comes up with on this front.

A minty fresh classic would be a sight to see and a treat to play. I'm almost imagining something like the restored Flight2000 that made an appearance at Pinfest.

#49 5 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

f this does happen, I would assume that the most well known classic Sterns would be the ones to get re-made. Unfortunately, the most well known ones are not necessarily the best players IMO. Either way, would be very interested to see what Stern comes up with on this front.

I love them all, and would love to see something like Iron Maiden or Viper or Catacomb made, But those would be a risky move for Stern. My gut tells me the safest bet is Nineball or Seawith.

Really, I just don't see Stern producing any classic Sterns. I don't think todays pinheads can handle a new pinball machine without a DMD or LCD display.

#50 5 years ago

Really, I just don't see Stern producing any classic Sterns. I don't think todays pinheads can handle a new pinball machine without a DMD or LCD display.

True. A lot of people only have DMDs in their lineup. I guess the sales of WNBJM will give Stern some idea, but I don't think they really know what kind of interest they would have with remaking some classics. Would like to see them start with like a Seawitch and go from there.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 75.00
    $ 7.95
    Various Novelties
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 49.00
    $ 46.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 7,699.00
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 5,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Haus
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Rocket City Pinball
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 16.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 225.00
    Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
    FlyLand Designs
    $ 17.50
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Haus
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 115.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Mod Co.
    Apparel - Unisex
    ArcadeMade
    $ 17.50
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Haus
    $ 69.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 79.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    BK Pinball
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 27.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    ArcadeArts
    $ 164.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    Cabinet - Other
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 9.99
    There are 316 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside