(Topic ID: 201306)

Classic Stern VE's - How much would you pay for NIB?

By Yoko2una

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“How much would you pay for a Stern Classic VE NIB? (Assume it's your favorite title of the bunch)”

• Less than $4000 34 votes
    41%
  • Between $4000 - $4500 24 votes
    29%
  • Between $4500 - $5000 13 votes
    16%
  • Between $5000 - $5500 4 votes
    5%
  • Between $5500 - $6000 1 vote
    1%
  • More than $6000 6 votes
    7%

(82 votes)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider yoko2una.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

Legal disclaimer: This isn't entirely out of the blue.

Last night on the Dead Flip IRL stream, Jack was with Jody and Zach from Stern, out on the Vegas strip. At one point VE's of Classic Sterns was brought up as a very loose hypothetical. Just to gauge interest, the titles Star Gazer and Quicksilver were mentioned. I chatted that I'd be interested in a Quicksilver NIB (even more so a Seawitch, but Quicksilver was referenced so I went with that).

Jody saw that and asked how much I'd honestly be willing to pay for a Quicksilver NIB, and I replied honestly - $4K for a carbon copy, $4.5K if it had upgrades (enhanced lighting and whatnot). In hindsight, I wish I had mentioned $5K for a Seawitch, but I didn't. He said $4K-4.5K would never happen. It was also then briefly mentioned (for comparison I guess) that TNA is selling for $6K. My last reply on the subject was that I thought there was some available space between SM Home Edition and the Pro model and I thought retro titles would fit in nicely, and that if (IF) it sold in high quantity it could be worthwhile.

I honestly think TNA @ $6K is why my $4-5K range for a Classic VE makes sense, but I guess he disagreed... which is totally fine btw!!! In a Quicksilver/Seawitch, I'm conceding thumping kickass music for digital chirps and sound effects, the HD display, the inline drop / scoop feature, multiball, color changing everything, laser cut side rails, and probably a lot of other things I'm forgetting. All I'd ask for out of a Classic VE is the same quality backglass and that it play true to the original.

Let's have some assumptions in place as to keep this as legit as possible... AND NOT TO THREAD DRIFT!

1) No changes or upgrades to sound, rules, lighting, build. No LE's. Just one edition - classic edition which is as much as a carbon copy as possible.
2) QC is fine. We don't need another thread about that. No "I'd buy if Stern could..." please.
3) It is your favorite Stern you're gauging. So if you like Seawitch, think of that. Star Gazer?... work under that premise.
4) We don't need "It'll never happen". A member of Stern, even as a hypothetical, asked a group of pinball enthusiasts last night. So why not open that question to a larger audience and give some free marketing research to them?
5) Did I mention that we don't need "I'd buy if only they'd fix..." comments?

So because it was brought up, even as a pure hypothetical, what would YOU be willing to pay for YOUR personal favorite Classic Stern VE NIB?

#2 6 years ago

Apparently the stream from last night isn't uploaded yet, as I couldn't find it anywhere during lunch, but I'm saving this space for a link and time-stamp if/when it becomes available.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

As far as your original question, it's going to take a $5K+ selling price reproduce the Stern classics (which it probably will), then I'd have to say no. If it's going to cost that much, then I would rather manufacturers design new throwback pins (like TNA) with adult themes, new tech, hardware, and features.

That's the thing, perhaps if Stern started a "retro style" line of older pins but with new designs and whatnot, I can see that being up there in price. That's a lot of design, research, development, testing, and everything as it's basically "from scratch". That's why I said I'd be game in the $4-5K range for established classics as they already know where everything goes, the rule sets, and the BoM. Additionally, the BoM's of classics are arguably much less than something like TNA which has a ton of extra stuff going on.

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from Aussiepinwiz:

I played SW yesterday. 50 games. I kept wanting more. Such an amazing, deep and rich game. SW may have "less" on it but it's way more fun than Gorgar. Isn't that want pinball is about? One of the best pins ever. Amazing flow and progression. Significantly better than all the classic pins mentioned in this thread. Who cares if it's less cluttered with junk on the play field?
Why buy any Stern NIB 'Classics' unless they are substantially cheaper than the amazing machines Stern currently has on offer? Think of Big Juicy Mellons. Why buy it new, at the price Stern wants, when you can get a SW or SMVE or MET or GB or ACDC? All amazing games.
Nevertheless, if Stern moves in this direction (which I believe they will) they will price them very close to what they are selling their newer machines for. To do otherwise does not make business sense.

I'm currently splitting time equally between my SM and Gorgar. There is something wonderful about simpler, single level games that have some straight forward objectives that are still a challenge to get done.

Not everything has to be 2 ramp, pops nest, dozen modes, crazy displays, stacking multiball, w/ flashing leds. That's why there's a market for classics and just something different from the status quo. It's in part why 200 have dropped serious coin for TNA.

There is something to be said about the popularity of classic games and why they're not just all thrown in dumpsters and set on fire.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 45.00
Pinball Machine
Wall To Wall Pinball

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

4,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
York, SC
$ 42.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 319.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 199.95
$ 55.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 189.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 300.00
Cabinet Parts
Fantastic Pinball Inc.

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Crown Point, IN
Machine - For Sale
Spring Grove, IL
$ 959.00
Hardware
Gameroom Mods

$ 959.00

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider yoko2una.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/classic-stern-ves-how-much-would-you-pay-for-nib?tu=yoko2una and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.