• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7560 (resized).JPG
IMG_7559 (resized).JPG
#1 2 years ago

I'm stumped. The left sling on my Quicksilver keeps blowing the transistor the second the ball hits the target. Using the correct coil (with no diode, just the one on the right), the diodes (IN4004) on the switches are not blown, and everything appears to be wired up correctly. It doesn't blow until the switch is hit, but then the coil locks on. What's my next step?

PS: top pic shows diodes cut so I could test them w/multimeter

IMG_7559 (resized).JPGIMG_7559 (resized).JPGIMG_7560 (resized).JPGIMG_7560 (resized).JPG

#2 2 years ago
Quoted from seshpilot:

Using the correct coil (with no diode, just the one on the right)

Some Williams coils like yours don't come fitted with diodes. They are a must in these Stern games. The missing coil diode is the reason the transistor keeps blowing. The banded side of the diode goes on the yellow wired coil lug.

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Some Williams coils like yours don't come fitted with diodes. They are a must in these Stern games. The missing coil diode is the reason the transistor keeps blowing. The banded side of the diode goes on the yellow wired coil lug.

Thanks man. I’ll try that out. What’s word is that the right sling doesn’t have one but is working just fine! Why is that? And is a IN4004 ok?

#4 2 years ago

1n4004 is okay. Every coil in a classic stern should have a diode on it

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from seshpilot:

What’s word is that the right sling doesn’t have one but is working just fine! Why is that?

Is the right coil being driven by a different driver (model) transistor?

When the driver transistor switches off and disconnects power from the coil, the coil has stored energy which comes out as very high voltage in reverse direction whose path goes across the driver transistor. This high voltage is beyond the spec of the transistor so it blows. The purpose of the diode on the coil is to clamp this high reverse voltage to a negligible level. The phenomenon is called "back EMF".

In this video, you can see when the user opens the switch, the back EMF from the large coil releases into the lamp causing it to briefly illuminate very brightly.

#6 2 years ago

Yep, that fixed it! Thanks. I put one on the right sling too just in case.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 189.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Spring Grove, IL
$ 959.00
$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sandusky, OH
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/classic-stern-sling-blows-transistor and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.