Leesmall.JPG
20140328_220538.jpg
Wild Pitch.JPG
photo copy.JPG
photo.JPG
photo copy 2.JPG
classic-sterns.jpg

#1 7 years ago

You guys are gonna see some amazing pictures. The entire collector community stepped up and put together a pile of Classic Stern Junk. Probably one of the best rows we have had in years. I did not even realize what was about to be unwrapped. Just really great stuff. Here is what was there.

Stargazer #1 - Greatwich Direct ink glass and Field. Repainted custom cabinet which was the absolute best pinball cabinet I have ever seen by Kevin Moore since I have been in pinball. I have literally seen 1000's of games from every era. Between the last 15 years including the best from HEP. This cabinet was beyond reality. I was in tears when I saw it.

By the way the John has hit it out of the park with the Stargazer playfields and the glass with the new process. incredible quality.

Quicksilver - Clearcoated totally restored example brought down by a collector from Nebraska. Played spectacular.
Nineball - Beautiful example
Dragonfist - Nice example. Played really good.
Meteor - Great example. One of the best I have ever played. Chicklets throughout. Restored.
Iron Maiden - Probably one the best on the planet. NOS backglass set. Repainted beautiful cabinet. Playfield flawless. Played amazing. I am jealous Rob Jones. I have only seen one very close to as nice.
Stargazer #2 - Cleared playfield. Restored played great.
Stingray - This is my restored game. Really nice example.
2 Flight 2000. Nice games. Both played throughout the show with no issues.
My 2 Gamatrons - The originals
Magic - Josh Tidmore brought this. Played fantastic. A nice example of the game.
Stargazer #3 - Shawn Christians. Really nice game. Played great.

In the Tourney area we had 2 Stargazers #4 and #5 and 2 Seawitches. 1 original beautiful stargazer. Not touch. 1 restored to the hilt. Played over the top. Seawitch #1. Nice original. Plays flawless. Seawitch #2 Clear coated NOS field and NOS backglass. Played great for the tourney.

Gonna be hard to beat this line up next year. Thanks to everyone who helped make it one of the best classic stern's rows I have been involved in putting together. I am so glad the love some of these games are receiving. They deserve it. The classic stern tradition at the TPF has just garnered some very serious respect.

Bill

#2 7 years ago

It was impressive. Has a Catacomb ever made it to the TPF?

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

It was impressive. Has a Catacomb ever made it to the TPF?

Yea, I had mine there 1 year. 3 years ago.

#4 7 years ago

Iron Maiden was unbelievable. A show stopper.

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from Jared:

Iron Maiden was unbelievable. A show stopper.

Man, I never got a chance to play it. It sure looked phenomenal though.

#6 7 years ago

Sounds super bad assed

Pics?????????

#7 7 years ago

Man, why is everyone asking for pictures? I mean, I know the actual answer. It is because you were not able to see it yourself.

But I guess when I ask that question I need something deeper. What I mean is why were you not at the Texas Pinball festival yourself? This event is one of the absolute premier Pinball gatherings on the planet. I really think that it would be well worth the time and expense for any inside member to come to Texas each year to be a part of this event. This way you do not have to ask for pictures, you can see with your own eyes.

That being said, I hope that there is some fantastic coverage uploaded in the coming days. I know that the Pinball journal and Pinball news publications were at the event taking some photos with some very high dollar equipment.

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from Jared:

But I guess when I ask that question I need something deeper. What I mean is why were you not at the Texas Pinball festival yourself? This event is one of the absolute premier Pinball gatherings on the planet.

Because it was on the same weekend as Pinburgh, one the premier tournaments on the planet

Hopefully next year the dates won't conflict.

#9 7 years ago

2015 will be off the hook! No pinburgh or other conflits to get in the way of scheduling. The place is huge, the area is beyond nice, the people attending were top notch. This is the best TPF I have attended in the 6 years I have attended.

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

2015 will be off the hook! No pinburgh or other conflits to get in the way of scheduling. The place is huge, the area is beyond nice, the people attending were top notch. This is the best TPF I have attended in the 6 years I have attended.

Will 2015 be in the same facility? I liked the ES better than last year's Anatole (or whatever it's name is...nice hotel but ES was better and Wild Pitch was walking distance).

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from Zaxxis:

Because it was on the same weekend as Pinburgh, one the premier tournaments on the planet
Hopefully next year the dates won't conflict.

Word.

No conflicts in 2015.

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from Jared:

But I guess when I ask that question I need something deeper. What I mean is why were you not at the Texas Pinball festival yourself

Americans for Education had issued a Texas boycott last year because of it's national rankings.

Otherwise I would have gone. I miss SXSW too.

#13 7 years ago

<<< I need something deeper. What I mean is why were you not at the Texas Pinball festival yourself?
>>>

For me, I reserved a room the Embassy Suites several months ago and planned to attend. However, my chosen career and COmpaNy participates in a huge tradeshow, the Mid-America Truck Show, usually held the last week of March. While I had vacation days schedeuled and a airplane ticket, etc.; I was asked to work our booth three weeks prior to TPF. I have not had to participate in the show the last three years but was hinted that if I did not work the booth, it would be a CLM (Career Limiting Move). Thus, I was in Louisville instead of Frisco.

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Will 2015 be in the same facility? I liked the ES better than last year's Anatole (or whatever it's name is...nice hotel but ES was better and Wild Pitch was walking distance).

I agree that the Embassy Suites was much better than the Anatole from last year. Having the rooms so close to the convention center was nice and the free breakfast in the morning and drinks in the evening were a plus. Not sure if you went to Wild Pitch on Friday when it was lingerie day but it blew away Twin Peaks, Tilted Kilt and Hooters!

#15 7 years ago

I played every game in the row last night during the closed hours and it was surreal. I took pics of all of them. I could be persuaded to post them if knew how to here....Stargazer was very impressive.

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

From what I was told recently was that it was already booked for the same place. Maybe Ed_in_Texas can confirm this or another TPF organizer can confirm this.

#17 7 years ago

classic-sterns.jpg

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from cardfelon:

I agree that the Embassy Suites was much better than the Anatole from last year. Having the rooms so close to the convention center was nice and the free breakfast in the morning and drinks in the evening were a plus. Not sure if you went to Wild Pitch on Friday when it was lingerie day but it blew away Twin Peaks, Tilted Kilt and Hooters!

I wonder if the Bikini day outfits trump Lingerie day there?

#19 7 years ago

Best TPF yet. The rooms were really nice and you get a free full breakfast buffet and free beer at happy hour included with your room rate. We had five Stargazers at the show. I don't know if this is a record but I've never seen that many together.

photo copy 2.JPG photo copy.JPG photo.JPG
#20 7 years ago

I hope to add a Stern Dracula to that line up next year.

#21 7 years ago

It's under rated IMHO.

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from Classic_Stern:

Yea, I had mine there 1 year. 3 years ago.

Bill, I hope to make it there one of these years. Would love to be there and meet you and some other Stern lovers.

#23 7 years ago

Did anybody take pictures or video of the Iron Maiden? I would have loved to have been able to make it to the show, just for this row alone. I am hopeful for next year.

#24 7 years ago

What a great show and I was proud to be a part of the Classic Stern Row. The power switch on my Quicksilver decided to give up the ghost Saturday morning, but other than that no issues with the mechanics and she played great all weekend. I hope everyone got a lot of enjoyment out of these games.

#25 7 years ago

I'm surprised that Iron Maiden didn't win a best-of-show award. It was my pick for sure! I do admit, that Stingray was gorgeous, as well.

#26 7 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

What a great show and I was proud to be a part of the Classic Stern Row. The power switch on my Quicksilver decided to give up the ghost Saturday morning, but other than that no issues with the mechanics and she played great all weekend. I hope everyone got a lot of enjoyment out of these games.

It is awesome that you drove all the way from nebraska with a machine. Thanks for doing this!

TILTed post. Sign in to be able to view TILTed posts.
#28 7 years ago

As awesome as Iron Maiden was, I fell in love with that Quicksilver.

#29 7 years ago

Not the best pic since my buddies fat head is in the way. 20140328_220538.jpg

#30 7 years ago
Quoted from bbaker2824:

Not the best pic since my buddies fat head is in the way.

Definitely some sweet artwork.

#31 7 years ago

I'm the Greatest TPF Stern
!! Leesmall.JPG

#32 7 years ago

Ali played great!

#33 7 years ago

Just really great stuff.

Nice line-up, but you were probably exaggerating the quality of the Stinray pin.

#34 7 years ago

I could hardly stop playing Kevin Moore's Star Gazer. Beyond the looks and quality he put in it - it played like a dream.

And dothedoo's Quicksilver was right there with it. That got almost as many plays from me as the Star Gazer next to it. You should be extremely proud of that game. It played as well as any game I played at the show.

I didn't get as much time in on the Iron Maiden but it was a sight to behold considering how rare that game is.

Thanks to all who brought these amazing games and the work you put into them and your willingness to share them with all of us.

I think Bill said it best in a conversation we had Saturday night - the number of people who have stepped up with the classic Stern restorations and the quality they have produced is amazing. I know the results observed from Bill's and others restorations from years past is quite the motivator. You guys should be proud.

Thanks again and I'm already looking forward to next year.

Mike O.

#35 7 years ago
Quoted from spideynhb:

Ali played great!

Yep, it's great playing game. Probably the most reliable Classic Stern I have seen too. That game just keeps on going and going. Very underrated pin.

#36 7 years ago
Quoted from MikeO:

I could hardly stop playing Kevin Moore's Star Gazer. Beyond the looks and quality he put in it - it played like a dream.

I've never seen a nicer Gazer. The thought and time that Kevin put into it is beyond comprehension. The colors, the clear, the perfectly rounded corners of the cabinet. There were so many little details about his restoration that really pushed it over the top. He even recreated and printed all of the paperwork that goes to the inside of the cabinet and head. Just simply amazing.

#37 7 years ago

Here is another shot of the Iron Maiden posted picture from our DFW pinball group.

397543_10152331751207112_635978823_n.jpg
#38 7 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

Nice line-up, but you were probably exaggerating the quality of the Stinray pin.

NO question about that. It is the poster child of CLASSIC STERN JUNK!!!!!......

"Toss the Stingray in the dumpster and go ....Grab the Bally pin over there"...

#39 7 years ago

I assume there is an inside joke here somewhere???

#40 7 years ago
Quoted from PappyBoyington:

Yep, it's great playing game. Probably the most reliable Classic Stern I have seen too. That game just keeps on going and going. Very underrated pin.

LEE just keeps on punching.....Martinonavatolova's Ali sits in a garage all year and my Gamatron with all the wiring hacks and daughter card. 2 games that have been reliable year in and year out. Both game no trouble last 4 years.

#41 7 years ago
Quoted from cardfelon:

This location was awesome! PLEASE have it there again!!

We didn't get to Wild Pitch across the street but did go to Twin Peaks and loved it. Wasn't expecting to, but I'll go back for sure now as I wasn't expecting that good of food from a place like that. They even brew there own beer which I though was quite good.

#42 7 years ago
Quoted from MikeO:

I assume there is an inside joke here somewhere?

Yes. The OP lauded the quality of the games other people brought but was modest about the quality of his own fine game. My post was done tongue-in-cheek (about him overstating the quality of his game), and he recognized that and gratiously played along in his response. He's a classy guy.

#43 7 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

Yes. The OP lauded the quality of the games other people brought but was modest about the quality of his own fine game. My post was done tongue-in-cheek (about him overstating the quality of his game), and he recognized that and gratiously played along in his response. He's a classy guy.

Bill is a great guy. Thanks for cluing me in.

Mike O.

#44 7 years ago
Quoted from cardfelon:

That is hard to say! Here is a pic of what our waitress was wearing.

Wild Pitch.JPG 99 KB

OH hell she was my favorite,do you have any more pics?

#45 7 years ago

ohhh... so the Stingray is Stern Junk and you say it belongs in the dumpster.
think before you speak ^%$#@

#46 7 years ago
Quoted from retired_user_101:

ohhh... so the Stingray is Stern Junk and you say it belongs in the dumpster.
think before you speak ^%$#@

It is BB....Classic Stern Junk!!!

5 years later
#47 1 year ago

Coming back to TPF 2020 Classic Stern Row

20180916_165615 (resized).jpg
#48 1 year ago

Fantastic line up. You all are missing a split second.
Another great classic stern.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside