(Topic ID: 205521)

Classic Stern Magic Club (all are welcome)

By terrapinmark

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 88 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 months ago by Brewboy
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Magic Stern Electronics, 1979

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0174 (resized).jpeg
SB100_J2.jpg
795E2C23-C4E4-478B-B82C-A7A730B45932 (resized).jpeg
20230708_194113 (resized).jpg
20230707_200640 (resized).jpg
20230707_185910 (resized).jpg
3E3A9710-1D2B-4BF4-B2DA-9FE3C5B831E9 (resized).jpeg
20230701_083726 (resized).jpg
20170930_124111 (resized).jpg
20170820_110809 (resized).jpg
20170731_190111 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
CDD227DD-0634-4756-9286-23DE34CF8387 (resized).jpeg
AD9965CA-2035-4DFD-815C-243B4366DFC0 (resized).jpeg
D7404E6A-7C91-4C55-8E77-23C1BE2FC0DA (resized).jpeg
223DBA6A-33FC-488D-9153-1E54C3439E57 (resized).jpeg
There are 88 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 6 years ago

Underrated game that is gaining acceptance as the classic game that it is. Great spinner action and flow. I joined the Stern Magic Club back in 1981 when I won it NIB in a local tournament.

Ohio Show Magic 2 (resized).JPGOhio Show Magic 2 (resized).JPG

Pinball 269 (resized).jpgPinball 269 (resized).jpg

stern magic (resized).JPGstern magic (resized).JPG

#2 6 years ago

Wow now that is a nice prize. I bought one of these not very long ago and haven't been able to set it up yet but I am looking forward to it.

#3 6 years ago

That is a neat story. How awesome that would of been. You've taken care of it. Looks great.

#4 6 years ago

I do need to say that she has had a face lift (I hope I don't get in trouble for saying this). Thank you Captain Neo for the new look

1 year later
#5 5 years ago

Joined the club. Anyone know where to get a backglass for this classic stern? BGresto seems to be awol.

#6 5 years ago

I too could use a backglass.

#7 5 years ago

I would say I need a backglass too, but then I would have to fix up the rest of the game....

#8 5 years ago

Keep trying Steve at bgresto. Slow to respond, and slow to send product but with the wait.
Did you check shay?

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballAir:

Did you check shay?

who is shay?

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from brenna98:

I too could use a backglass.

Quoted from thirdedition:

I would say I need a backglass too,

If enough of us bug the kind folks at CPR, maybe we can get them to do a run of reproductions... and maybe a few playfields too. Magic has amazing artwork but the majority of the backglasses and playfields I have seen are trashed.

#11 5 years ago

Shay arcade group.
I checked, they are not doing any classic stern stuff.
Check with Mayfair amusements. They often have used glasses.

1 month later
#12 5 years ago

I'm in, picked one up this past weekend.

73ec930992157c83c5f94f98a01a4b14565b3247 (resized).jpg73ec930992157c83c5f94f98a01a4b14565b3247 (resized).jpg94b7f12de25ffc28e79372b9969397756b910f20 (resized).jpg94b7f12de25ffc28e79372b9969397756b910f20 (resized).jpg
#13 5 years ago

I'm in. Picked one up last week. Really fun game and a bargain as far as classic sterns go.

1 year later
#14 3 years ago

Wow this Magic club does not even have enough posts to make 2 pages lol. Well possibly this one might just push it over to page 2. I got one of these in decent shape. Never played one before but it seem right up my alley after watching some videos. Wondering about the 7 digit display shown on the game info page and how that mod was done.

#15 3 years ago

Wow, owned this title over a year now. Completely forgot to post these recreations.

20190709_122144 (resized).jpg20190709_122144 (resized).jpgTranslite after mask (resized).jpgTranslite after mask (resized).jpg
1 month later
#16 3 years ago

Can someone assist me please. It looks like the schematics are not complete on the idb page. Does anyone have an original manual?

#17 3 years ago

duh...maybe i should just look at another one of my Setrns........all sorted now.

1 month later
#18 3 years ago

Working on another order to send to my printer for translites, I've got one so far but for each other one, we can save $10 shipping... PM for further details. Here is a list of what I have re-created thus far;

Abra Ca Dabra
Dragon
Grand Prix
Laser Ball
Motordome
Magic (Stern)
Trident
Wild Fyre

I can do others if I have a scan to work from.

1 week later
#19 3 years ago

Hi all - I got Magic recently and have just started to look at it. Someone has hacked the crap out of the rectifier board wiring. They put in connectors from the cabinet wiring, and then wired directly to components. I think I'm very close to knowing where everything goes so I can repin the connectors, and we bought a new board. If anyone has pictures of the wiring in and around the board and transformer, I'd appreciate it.

#20 3 years ago

Bump. This game also has a relay wired between the transformer and rectifier board. Any pictures or wiring diagrams are appreciated.

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from Boise_D:

This game also has a relay wired between the transformer and rectifier board. Any pictures or wiring diagrams are appreciated.

Can you post pictures of said relay? And also the wires you want info on?

Sounds like someone may have put a transformer/power board from a Stern Galaxy into your game which uses a relay to switch the general illumination. Magic has no such feature.

#22 3 years ago

I looked again. It looks like all wires from transformer are correct to rectifier board, except for lug 17, which goes first to a relay, and then to the rectifier.
The wires coming out of that relay go to a connector that isn't connected to anything.
I'd like to know if there's and reason or purpose for the relay, or if I should take it out and wire lug 17 directly to E7.
IMG_20200906_122101 (resized).jpgIMG_20200906_122101 (resized).jpg

#23 3 years ago

After getting some advice from a friend, I wired up the new rectifier board. I decided to leave the mystery relay in place for now. The new board, from Pinball Life, is much better than the old one. After I do connectors I'll know better where things stand.

IMG_20200906_174054 (resized).jpgIMG_20200906_174054 (resized).jpg
#24 3 years ago

That relay doesn't belong on Magic. Someone must have installed the power board from a later Stern game that uses that relay to flash the G.I. Magic does not support this feature.

BTW, on top of the transformer do you see it marked "16B-3" or "16B-6"?

Note the J1 pin header on your new rectifier board is 9 pins wide while the old rectifier board it was 8 pins wide. Make sure your J1 connector is keyed properly so you install it on the left 8 pins (the 9the pin on the right should be left exposed).

Also, the F2 fuse should be a 3/4 amp fast blow but your new one looks rather over fused. Confirm that it's the right rating fuse.
BTW, the fuses on the new rectifier board look like medium blow fuses, not fast blow. Care to post some pictures of the fuse markings?

#25 3 years ago

Quench The top of the transformer is 16B-6. The board came with a connector kit which has a 9-position for J1, so I should be okay. Thanks for mentioning that, and everything else. You noticed things I overlooked.
The fuse markings on the board do not match those of the original chart on top. I hope the new ones are an improvement and not a mistake. The actual fuses in there are marked with a 3xx code, instead of MDL/AGC. I had to google that, but I'm still not sure what ABC means - maybe medium? F3 is 4A (ignore my accidental decimal).
It does look like the new board markings are different from the fuses populating it. I need to have another look.

16B-6 (resized).png16B-6 (resized).pngfuses (resized).pngfuses (resized).png

1 week later
#26 3 years ago
Quoted from Boise_D:

quench The top of the transformer is 16B-6. The board came with a connector kit which has a 9-position for J1, so I should be okay. Thanks for mentioning that, and everything else. You noticed things I overlooked.
The fuse markings on the board do not match those of the original chart on top. I hope the new ones are an improvement and not a mistake. The actual fuses in there are marked with a 3xx code, instead of MDL/AGC. I had to google that, but I'm still not sure what ABC means - maybe medium? F3 is 4A (ignore my accidental decimal).
It does look like the new board markings are different from the fuses populating it. I need to have another look.

Oh sorry, somehow I missed your reply last week.
The 16B-6 transformer is from a later game, there's probably a few that would love to trade you with the transformer you're supposed to have. You might notice the flippers/solenoids have more power than the game was originally designed for.

312 = AGC = fast blow glass body
313 = MDL = slow blow glass body
314 = ABC = fast blow ceramic body

The F6 3 amp fuse should be slow blow, not fast blow.

The F4 fuse should be 5 amp fast blow for your game. Ignore the 7.5A slow blow on the card above the rectifier board - as I previously mentioned your transformer/rectifier board panel has come from a later game. The 7.5A slow blow fuse spec is for games with 4 flippers (Big Game, Seawitch, Cheetah, etc)

For safety, the F2 3/4 amp fuse would be better as a fast blow, not slow blow. If something goes wrong with the high voltage circuit on the solenoid driver board, the transistors always blow well before that rectifier board fuse does. A slow blow fuse at F2 isn't acting as a protection mechanism for the high voltage circuit on the solenoid driver board so it should be a fast blow fuse. Bally recognised this error and changed their F2 fuse spec accordingly.

#27 3 years ago

It's too quiet in here. I was able to get Magic running, and even solved a sound board issue by simply reflowing the MPU header pins. This sound board guide will be helpful to Magic owners: http://www.techdose.com/projects/Stern-Pinball-SB100-Sound-Board/346/page1.html

I'm working my way around the playfield now, cleaning, rubbers, LEDs, and filling loose wood posts. I'll try to share some pictures.
I still have a hum along with working sounds. Anyone have a suggestion for that? I think it's a speaker hum.
Also: I ordered a cap kit for the SB-100 sound board, but then realized I have no idea how that board is mounted inside the backbox. There are no visible screws. Anyone know?

#28 3 years ago
Quoted from Boise_D:

SB-100 sound board, but then realized I have no idea how that board is mounted inside the backbox. There are no visible screws. Anyone know?

The sound board is just held by four round plastic clips like the clips holding the other boards.

#29 3 years ago
Quoted from Boise_D:

I decided to leave the mystery relay in place for now.

I never understood the purpose of this relay? Some of my MPU200 game have it (Ali...) and other dont...?

#30 3 years ago

I always thought it was strange that the top jet bumper on Magic scored "bonus". Especially since the bonus only goes to 19 (excluding the multipliers). There is a ROM that fixed this and I like the game play better.

#31 3 years ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

I never understood the purpose of this relay? Some of my MPU200 game have it (Ali...) and other dont...?

Quench explained that this relay toggles the GI, on games that support that feature. Magic does not. Does your Magic have that relay too?

#32 3 years ago
Quoted from Boise_D:

Quench explained that this relay toggles the GI, on games that support that feature. Magic does not. Does your Magic have that relay too?

oh i had missed that in the thread, that is good info! No, my magic as the older smaller transformer and no relay. I am happy to swap it around with an older one if you like, i have a left over from a Wyld fire "conversion" project.

#33 3 years ago

I had a great time tonight, listening to James Brown and doing posts, lights, and rubbers on Magic.

IMG_20200924_200639_368 (resized).jpgIMG_20200924_200639_368 (resized).jpgPXL_20200925_012931371 (resized).jpgPXL_20200925_012931371 (resized).jpgPXL_20200925_015526326 (resized).jpgPXL_20200925_015526326 (resized).jpgPXL_20200925_020945840 (resized).jpgPXL_20200925_020945840 (resized).jpgPXL_20200925_025114609 (resized).jpgPXL_20200925_025114609 (resized).jpg
#34 3 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

312 = AGC = fast blow glass body
313 = MDL = slow blow glass body
314 = ABC = fast blow ceramic body
The F6 3 amp fuse should be slow blow, not fast blow.
The F4 fuse should be 5 amp fast blow for your game. Ignore the 7.5A slow blow on the card above the rectifier board - as I previously mentioned your transformer/rectifier board panel has come from a later game. The 7.5A slow blow fuse spec is for games with 4 flippers (Big Game, Seawitch, Cheetah, etc)
For safety, the F2 3/4 amp fuse would be better as a fast blow, not slow blow. If something goes wrong with the high voltage circuit on the solenoid driver board, the transistors always blow well before that rectifier board fuse does. A slow blow fuse at F2 isn't acting as a protection mechanism for the high voltage circuit on the solenoid driver board so it should be a fast blow fuse. Bally recognised this error and changed their F2 fuse spec accordingly.

I forgot to tell you, I took your advice on all of the fuses. Thanks much for giving it.

#35 3 years ago
Quoted from Boise_D:

I forgot to tell you, I took your advice on all of the fuses. Thanks much for giving it.

Cheers. For your sanity, PinWiki reflects the correct fuse ratings - your rectifier board matches the first in the list "AS-2518-18".
Only F6 is marked as "SB" for slow blow.

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bally/Stern#Fuse_Values

#36 3 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Wow, owned this title over a year now. Completely forgot to post these recreations. [quoted image][quoted image]

Wow, nice, how can I get my hands on one of these?

1 week later
#37 3 years ago
Quoted from Grefla:

For your sanity, PinWiki reflects the correct fuse ratings - your rectifier board matches the first in the list "AS-2518-18".
Only F6 is marked as "SB" for slow blow.
https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bally/Stern#Fuse_Values

Very helpful to have! Thanks

#38 3 years ago

Can someone help me out? I’m missing the 2 lane guides at the top of the playfield and am not sure which size to order. Does anyone know which ones they are, or even better where there is an online parts list (for future enquiries). I have found the parts catalogue on pinwiki, but I can’t find any resources to help with the part numbers. I.e. i know that the lane guide part number is 4A-121 but dont know where to look that up to find out what the part actually is.

55D6D4C2-8EC7-43F0-BB45-15CBE5440BE2 (resized).jpeg55D6D4C2-8EC7-43F0-BB45-15CBE5440BE2 (resized).jpeg
#40 3 years ago

Yes... those are correct. I just measured on my Stern Magic. 1.5 inch hole to hole and yellow.

1 week later
#42 3 years ago

Bought a Magic 25 years ago. Love the four player setup. In that time I’ve replaced/refurbished almost all the moving parts and installed Alltek MPU and Solenoid Driver boards, so the game is hardly in its original state.

However the questions I have is how many sounds should activate on test. The manual says 20 thru 25 cover sound, which would imply six sounds. I am currently only getting four, 20 thru 23. 24 (PopBumper?) disappeared several months ago at the same time as a hum started from the speaker and I don’t think I have ever had anything on 25. There is a lot on SB-100 restoration but it is not game specific. Test point voltages are all good but as I understand it the soundboard is the one board that cannot be replicated so I’m reluctant to dig around too far. As with most things it is probably a connection issue somewhere.

Thanks in advance for any help with sounds and hope this first post goes through.

#43 3 years ago
Quoted from Bigbill:

However the questions I have is how many sounds should activate on test.

There are six sounds:
10 point tone
100 point tone
1000 point tone
10000 point tone
Add Bonus sound
Pop Bumper chirp

#44 3 years ago

Hi Quench. Thanks for the list of sounds. Looks like I may have an issue with the 32 pin connector on the board so place to start.

#45 3 years ago
Quoted from Bigbill:

Looks like I may have an issue with the 32 pin connector on the board so place to start.

Pay close attention to pins 3 and 4 on the 32 pin connector, those signals trigger your two missing sound effects.
I presume you have a newish 32 pin cable? What condition is the SB100 32 pin header in?

#46 3 years ago

I tested the cable end to end for continuity and it seems fine but I suspect it is an original cable. I’ve been looking at the newer, non ribbon, cables but they are either out of stock or about USD 200 including shipping so best to check out the cable I have first. I will look at pins 3 and 4. Twice when I have just moved the cable slightly at sound board connection end I have had a mixture of all sounds at once. According to the Techdose repair manual this could be a result of cold connections on the board so I will go there next. Thanks for letting me know about the relevant pins, never have found it myself.

#47 3 years ago
Quoted from Bigbill:

Twice when I have just moved the cable slightly at sound board connection end I have had a mixture of all sounds at once.

You've got some bad connection issue.

The solder joints on the SB-100 32pin pin header often crack. Suggest you pull the board out and resolder any suspect pin header joints you see under a magnifying glass.

Quoted from Bigbill:

I’ve been looking at the newer, non ribbon, cables but they are either out of stock or about USD 200 including shipping

Both barakandl and Great Plains have the cables on their sites for under US$15 (before international shipping).
Scroll down to the SB-300 board and you'll see @barakandl's cable:
https://nvram.weebly.com/new-pcbs.html

The dual 16 pin cable is the one from Great Plains to suite the SB-100:
https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/products.asp?cat=57

#48 3 years ago

Unfortunately the issue with the cable price is all about the delivery but I’ve found an acceptable way which may take a bit longer so ordered a cable. My soldering skill is not up to reflowing the connections on these boards so best taken to a technician. As both missing sounds go through U4, I think, could U4 be the problem?

#49 3 years ago
Quoted from Bigbill:

As both missing sounds go through U4, I think, could U4 be the problem?

They are both activated through U4. It can be checked with a logic probe if you have one.

#50 3 years ago

Thanks Quench. Closely checked the pin seating for cracks and seems all good to me so I’ll install the new cable when it gets here and then move on if no change.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

$ 69.00
Machine - For Sale
Des Moines, IA
$ 10.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 88 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/classic-stern-magic-club-all-are-welcome?hl=wolffcub and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.