Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by rotordave
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

I just picked up a Stern Wild Fyre, it's mostly working but has some lamp issues that I have never seen before.

2 of the lamps work correctly in test mode, flash on/off, but in game mode once they light they never turn off.

1 is the shoot again lamp, once lit it stays lit but the game only gives one extra ball. It does turn off at game over time.
the other is the match lamp on the backboard, once lit it stays, on I would expect it to alternate with the high score to date lamp. The high score to date works correctly,

The SCRs should turn off at every zero crossing so I am thinking it is an SCR problem, but just wondering is there a chance it is a code problem? Anybody know.
By the way it has an Altek replacement CPU so not original ROMs

The other issue I have is that 1 lamp flashes in test mode, but it is opposite to all other lamps, so when others are on it is off, and when others are off it is on.
In game mode it does not light at all. This one has me stumped, I have no idea what could cause this weird behaviour, does anybody have an idea for this?

#2 4 years ago

I vote flakey SCRs ...

How about a bad diode on a lamp socket?

Tried a different lamp board?

rd

#3 4 years ago

I don't think it will be an SCR problem. At some point I'll try an original CPU to see if the lamps staying on is due to the code in the altek.

For the lamp flashing opposite to all others in test mode and then not working at all in game, that has me stumped. it could be the 4 to 16 converter chip, maybe I'll just replace it and see what happens.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from SteveNZ:

I don't think it will be an SCR problem. At some point I'll try an original CPU to see if the lamps staying on is due to the code in the altek.

Alltek uses factory code. It aint your issue. Might be the 4050 buffer chip driving the SCR in question - you didn't say which lamp it was that's lighting reversed.
Did you try jumpering TP3 on the lamp driver board to the gate leg of the SCR which manually switches it on to test the SCR?

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Alltek uses factory code. It aint your issue. Might be the 4050 buffer chip driving the SCR in question - you didn't say which lamp it was that's lighting reversed.
Did you try jumpering TP3 on the lamp driver board to the gate leg of the SCR which manually switches it on to test the SCR?

The reversed lamp is the "E" in FYRE. From the schematic it looks like the SCR for "E" (Q26) is connected direct to the 14514 not through the 4050.
Good idea on testing the SCR via the gate, I'll do that tonight.

As to the code, being the issue for match lamp and shoot again lamp, I'm still leaning that way, but I expect that the only way to be sure is to have someone with Wild Fyre check for me.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from SteveNZ:

As to the code, being the issue for match lamp and shoot again lamp, I'm still leaning that way, but I expect that the only way to be sure is to have someone with Wild Fyre check for me.

Have you performed the memory clear function on the Alltek? Game select switches set to "01111111". Clearing the NVRAM has been known to fix up weird issues.
Regarding code, when the Alltek is on non-freeplay mode it runs 100% stock factory code.

FYI, Stern Wild Fyre and Stern Dracula run exactly the same software code. Stern simply made different playfield/art packages for the two. Ditto with Pinball/Stingray, Lectronamo/Nugent, Magic/Cosmic Princess.

Quoted from SteveNZ:

the other is the match lamp on the backboard, once lit it stays, on I would expect it to alternate with the high score to date lamp. The high score to date works correctly,

Umm, this is a typo right? You meant Ball in Play lamp, not High Game to Date lamp?

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Umm, this is a typo right? You meant Ball in Play lamp, not High Game to Date lamp?

Yep, don't know what I was thinking there.

For the "E" the test point 3 to gate confirmed the SCR was the problem, new SCR and it is working fine now. Weird that it was flashing on off but in reverse for the lamp test. Flakey SCR like Rotordave said.

Shoot again, the test point 3 to SCR gate suggested the SCR was fine, but I replaced it anyway. That didn't fix the problem. Ended up replacing the 4050 and it is now working correctly.

Thanks for your help Rotordave and Quench.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from SteveNZ:

Flakey SCR like Rotordave said.

I’ve found those things can test good and still be bad - so I’ll just replace them and be done with it.

Good point from Quench about resetting the Altek - I’ve struck strange issues before. Now I do the reset process every time I install one.

rd

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays
$ 45.00
$ 69.00
Electronics
Pinball Haus
Electronics
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays
$ 10.00
Lighting
Yoppsicle
Lighting
$ 10.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays
$ 45.00
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards
$ 199.95

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/classic-stern-lamp-problems and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.