(Topic ID: 240494)

Classic Stern Galaxy Club -- From a Time Before We Had Guardians.

By TractorDoc

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 252 posts
  • 55 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 53 days ago by Kolk1
  • Topic is favorited by 29 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Galaxy Stern Electronics, 1980

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7769 (resized).jpeg
20240128_184534 (resized).jpg
20240128_184646 (resized).jpg
20240128_184524 (resized).jpg
IMG_6808 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9931 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9932 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9933 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9935 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9934 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9936 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9937 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9871 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9867 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9869 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9870 (resized).jpeg
There are 252 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.
#1 5 years ago

An official club for another great Classic Stern.
Pluto was and still is a planet to me. . . and this game proves it!

Share pictures, stories, questions, and anything else related to this vintage Game of the Galactic Proportions.

#2 5 years ago

I was able to snag this game at the Ohio Show this year.
I had no intention of bringing a new game home, but the seller said it had stopped working and to make him an offer. I've played Galaxy in the past and remember it as a fast, fun game. I couldn't resist a potential Classic Stern project so I threw out a number and he accepted.
We are set up and hope to start digging into the issues soon.

IMG_9890 (resized).JPGIMG_9890 (resized).JPGIMG_9891 (resized).JPGIMG_9891 (resized).JPG
#3 5 years ago

Proud Galaxy owner here!! This was the first pin I have.It was bought for $600. by my Wife and given to me for my retirement in 2011!!A nvram battery eliminator kit and LEDs make it a popper!! They also have one in Concord CA,at the Flipper Room!!!This pin was on route in Redding Ca,by the pioneer operator Stan Van!!It has since multiplied:)Have fun,B safe!!!!

#4 5 years ago

Though you might like this.
Galaxy an award winning short film from 1980

2 months later
#5 4 years ago

Ahh. This was my first pin. She's a keeper. Still need to upgrade to leds. If anyone has a Galaxy with leds that could post a Pic for us to see.. That would be awesome!

#6 4 years ago

OK,one clue,when you upgrade to LEDs you should install the Bally/Stern anti-flicker board from Marco,$48.otherwise they will strobe on you!!!!

#7 4 years ago

Yes, definitely plan on getting the anti flicker kit. Do you have pics of your galaxy lit up with leds? Wanna share?

#8 4 years ago

How many Wedge style bulbs does the playfield take? Looking to upgrade to leds and need to order correctly. Is it just the 3 for the thumper numbers?

2 weeks later
#9 4 years ago

I've created these custom apron cards, and am making them available for $10 per set, including US postage. I print these on a photo printer using OEM ink (no cheap third party) and OEM ultra gloss photo paper. I then cover in 3 mil clear gloss laminate, and razor cut to size.

Please PM me if interested.

Galaxy1 (resized).jpgGalaxy1 (resized).jpgGalaxy2 (resized).jpgGalaxy2 (resized).jpg
2 months later
#10 4 years ago

I picked up a project (non working) galaxy a month or two ago and need to get it fixed! Hoping it is a fun game to play after listening to the slam tilt podcast, I had to find a stern electronics and I missed a few meteors so had to jump on this one

1 month later
#11 4 years ago

Just brought the game home today.

Has anyone used the Wolffpac tech displays? for the price, it seems like the best bang for the buck.

Pondering shipping the stock boards out for repair vs buying alltek boards.

Anyone have pics of the game led'ed? thinking warm white everywhere but color match inserts.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Just brought the game home today.
Has anyone used the Wolffpac tech displays? for the price, it seems like the best bang for the buck.
Pondering shipping the stock boards out for repair vs buying alltek boards.
Anyone have pics of the game led'ed? thinking warm white everywhere but color match inserts.

With older games, I use warm everywere, with the exceptions of blue, green or purple (pink) inserts. I use cool white if the lens is still colorful and color match if not. Seems all those Stern purple inserts fade away to nothing.

Regarding boards for the Bally/Stern system, I think the MPU and rectifier are no brainer to replace. In the rare instance of a MPU with no corrosion issues, I would convert to coin cell and be good.

2 weeks later
#13 4 years ago

I’m 90% done re pinning and molex’ing the harness in the head and I ran out of pins! Shoot.

So I opened the cab up to start the power rebuild. Ufff forgot how bad it was

New rectifier board in hand but a few connectors to repin.

Is the relay for the gi that was first to be used on this game? I can’t seem to find much info on that part

5C26AD2B-26E7-4D43-A751-7D9776972107 (resized).jpeg5C26AD2B-26E7-4D43-A751-7D9776972107 (resized).jpeg75679C60-9A01-491C-9E95-546A63EEF660 (resized).jpeg75679C60-9A01-491C-9E95-546A63EEF660 (resized).jpegA03CD5ED-6686-4887-806A-E2FF14072E14 (resized).jpegA03CD5ED-6686-4887-806A-E2FF14072E14 (resized).jpegAB37C969-886A-4906-9E08-8226D6D4B6FC (resized).jpegAB37C969-886A-4906-9E08-8226D6D4B6FC (resized).jpegCEA08887-8E90-4601-BB24-50423F9BB58A (resized).jpegCEA08887-8E90-4601-BB24-50423F9BB58A (resized).jpeg
#14 4 years ago

Love the game, had three over the years but they were always played to death.

#15 4 years ago

Saw this thread and thought I'd share. Here's my almost finished Galaxy restore. It plays really fantastic and was apparently warehoused for 30+ years so its in really great shape. I'm probably going to touch up the playfield by the right flipper where someone had it dragging, and I need to fix the player 3/4 displays still, but most of the big work is done.

I see I probably should've taken pics without the lights on reflecting off the backglass and playfield glass.... oh well
IMG_20191125_203035_4 (resized).jpgIMG_20191125_203035_4 (resized).jpgIMG_20191125_203046_5 (resized).jpgIMG_20191125_203046_5 (resized).jpgIMG_20191125_203053_7 (resized).jpgIMG_20191125_203053_7 (resized).jpg

1 month later
#16 4 years ago

That galaxy looks great!

I finished pinning the head harness plugs. Just last night I repinned the rectifier plugs, and today was going to try and solder in the new rectifier board. However once that is in, then I need to get some kits for the boards themselves. I have not booted this game up so not sure what doesn’t work.....

#17 4 years ago

Fun fact*... Not all those play fields are the same, the blue in the upper part of the p/f is the tell, some are lighter blue, some dark blue (most common) but the scans do not overlay 100% leading one to assume they were subcontracted during the run.

2 weeks later
#18 4 years ago

Is there any place that has the spinner or anyone have a guide to make/fab/recreate?

1 month later
#19 4 years ago

what color of yellow and red is a good match for repainting a Galaxy cab ?

1 week later
#20 4 years ago

I received some rebuilt kits for the stock boards from BDE Need to work on those, but in the meantime, I also got the 3 alltek boards. It will be nice to get Galaxy up!

3 months later
#21 3 years ago

I designed these Galaxy apron cards inspired by the original flyer for a friend and wanted to share. I just added them to my UpKick shop. $4 each or $7 for the set. I've also got cards for Stern Stars and 9 ball in the shop. The pictures are taken with my Wild Fyre apron, which is why it's white instead of black, but it will give you an idea.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1256-upkick-pinball/03962-galaxy-apron-cards

Galaxy info (resized).jpgGalaxy info (resized).jpggalaxy rules (resized).jpggalaxy rules (resized).jpg
#22 3 years ago
Quoted from lizzyd:

I designed these Galaxy apron cards inspired by the original flyer for a friend and wanted to share. I just added them to my UpKick shop. $4 each or $7 for the set. I've also got cards for Stern Stars and 9 ball in the shop. The pictures are taken with my Wild Fyre apron, which is why it's white instead of black, but it will give you an idea.
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1256-upkick-pinball/03962-galaxy-apron-cards
[quoted image][quoted image]

Ohhhhh I'll bookmark these for when I'm ready!

#23 3 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Ohhhhh I'll bookmark these for when I'm ready!

Thanks. I also just added a few more options with the black background including the Williams wizard.

Galaxy Info wizard black (resized).jpgGalaxy Info wizard black (resized).jpgGalaxy Info woman black (resized).jpgGalaxy Info woman black (resized).jpgGalaxy Rule Black (resized).jpgGalaxy Rule Black (resized).jpg
#24 3 years ago

Well, I’ve delayed working on galaxy for who knows why. My wife tonight was standing next to me looking at it and started asking questions about getting it fixed..... sooo I finally plugged it all in.

I rebuilt the stock boards but had swapped in all Alltek boards, so I figured at least the allteks would tell me what’s wrong. Connected everything up and it lives.

Still need to install the new gi relay, and it looks like P3 and p4 displays are funky but it’s a start! Can’t play test at night with the family sleeping :/

7CA99CAC-1E05-41F9-B895-6BEBCC181CD1 (resized).jpeg7CA99CAC-1E05-41F9-B895-6BEBCC181CD1 (resized).jpeg

#25 3 years ago

There seems to be some lack of documented info on the pf parts? I'd like to try and get an exact list of things needed so they are easier to find in the future, I didn't see them in the manual. Correct any if they are wrong.

Rollover Guides
2 x 1 1/2" one sided
1 x 1 1/2" two sided
3 x 2 1/8 two sided
I think the stock was all reds, mine came with blue's at the inlanes. curious if color matching to the pf looks worse or better?

star posts:
18 x short 1"
16 x tall 1 3/6"

I can post more of the parts later. I know in the Stern electronics thread there was a discussion about the threaded posts that stick up from the bottom of the PF. My stock ones seem ok, but if they spin, I would replace with a t-nut and a screw from the bottom. Still doing tear down and looking at parts I need to order for the pf to shop.

Flippers
https://www.pinballlife.com/classic-stern-shoe-and-shaft-flipper-bat-assembly-1977-1980.html

next I need to find those little gray spacers and the "white" ones that were used in the upper left of the PF.

#26 3 years ago

Made this pic to help.

I think I will use short posts for the posts under plastics with a screw and not a stand off post. This is so the screw doesn't rub the plastic art off.

Stern_1980_Galaxy_posts (resized).pngStern_1980_Galaxy_posts (resized).png
4 weeks later
#27 3 years ago

well a few updates. I did the flipper rebuild but my left had different size screws for the coil stop than my right side, and also the plunger was super weird looking.

I'm going to order the CT Frosted warm white bulbs to put in the entire game. IMO they are the closest to incandescent. I keep thinking about color matching some inserts.....but haven't decided yet.

I have attached some pics. This is how I think or imagine the game game from the factory. At least this is how I am thinking I will put it back together as.

IMG_9594 (resized).jpgIMG_9594 (resized).jpggalaxy spacer post (resized).pnggalaxy spacer post (resized).png Added over 4 years ago:

I see from a pic, that the rear left clear plastic is held on separately from the art plastic, so the above question is more for the inlanes at the flippers and I'm thinking it is a yes.

2 weeks later
#28 3 years ago

I'm working on a friend's Galaxy, and the ball gets stuck in the lane guide/flipper transition pretty regularly. Do I have some worn or wrong parts in here, or is this pretty common? Seems like this should flow smoothly to the flipper.

IMG_20200904_204803119.jpgIMG_20200904_204803119.jpg
#29 3 years ago
Quoted from CaffeineSlug:

I'm working on a friend's Galaxy, and the ball gets stuck in the lane guide/flipper transition pretty regularly. Do I have some worn or wrong parts in here, or is this pretty common? Seems like this should flow smoothly to the flipper.
[quoted image]

Your inlane plastics are upside down. The round end on them should be on top, the pointed end on the bottom.

#30 3 years ago
Quoted from Thrillhouse:

Your inlane plastics are upside down. The round end on them should be on top, the pointed end on the bottom.

Yes, this! Easy fix! Also I was thinking the clear plastic would not be sandwiched but use spacers to have it the halo guide and then a spacer and art? I can’t find more 1-5/8” screws so I’ll have to get the 1-3/4” :/

#31 3 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Yes, this! Easy fix! Also I was thinking the clear plastic would not be sandwiched but use spacers to have it the halo guide and then a spacer and art? I can’t find more 1-5/8” screws so I’ll have to get the 1-3/4” :/

The clear plastic on the inlane isn't stock if that's what you mean. It's there to protect the pointy plastic tip from breaking (which is what usually happens). Stern had a service bulletin to install wire guides under them at one point to solve this. I used the opportunity on mine to make sure I had the smooth transition to the flipper when I drilled the guide hole.

Is your flipper the original stern bat or a replacement? The replacements some stock/use are Bally's and are fatter, which causes flipper hop as well.

#32 3 years ago

Ha, I looked at some other pics and never noticed that! Thanks, I'll flip those around. The flipper bats are replacements, so I'll keep that in mind as well.

#33 3 years ago

CaffeineSlug I just noticed your friends game has a green star rollover instead of red above the flippers. Did he replace that on his own? Anyone else in this club have green instead of red on theirs? I've only seen red on the handful of these I've come across but in the pinside gallery someone else posted pics with green also.

#34 3 years ago

He didn't replace it, but I haven't looked closely to see if it appears original.

There is still quite a bit of flipper hop even with the lane guides switched, so I'll compare to some original stern flippers next.

#35 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

The clear plastic on the inlane isn't stock if that's what you mean. It's there to protect the pointy plastic tip from breaking (which is what usually happens). Stern had a service bulletin to install wire guides under them at one point to solve this. I used the opportunity on mine to make sure I had the smooth transition to the flipper when I drilled the guide hole.
Is your flipper the original stern bat or a replacement? The replacements some stock/use are Bally's and are fatter, which causes flipper hop as well.

Hmm, if stock is without then ya I can see them breaking. I ordered a repro plastic set and they provide clear inland guides so I’ll use them

4 weeks later
#36 3 years ago

Built the first of five of the wolffpac displays... chose red... oh baby these are nice.

#37 3 years ago

Question: when ball is launched from shooter it never goes into saucier.
What pitch do you have your Galaxy set to?

When ball is launched it follows the ball guide and doesn’t go near saucier.

Any thoughts?

#38 3 years ago
Quoted from Madmax541:

Question: when ball is launched from shooter it never goes into saucier.
What pitch do you have your Galaxy set to?
When ball is launched it follows the ball guide and doesn’t go near saucier.
Any thoughts?

Mine doesn’t when I full plunge. Wondering if you have to be perfect with a plunge. Still working on my game but I’ll post back when it is level and playing

#39 3 years ago

Hopefully more Galaxy owner jump in.
Getting in saucier should be easier.

Is it a pitch setting or PLayfield ball guide adjustment

#40 3 years ago

I don't think it was that great of a skill shot in the first place - at most it's worth 10k. I think it was more of an artistic statement mimicking the spiral galaxy shape motif. I'm usually trying to get the 'L' lane instead as I find that to be the hardest.

#41 3 years ago

What incline does everyone have their Galaxy set at?

#42 3 years ago

3" levelers in the back all the way out and front all the way down

#43 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

3" levelers in the back all the way out and front all the way down

When ball launch does it go in saucier without hitting pop bumper?

#44 3 years ago
Quoted from Madmax541:

When ball launch does it go in saucier without hitting pop bumper?

No, and I don't think it's actually supposed to. Look at where the launch guide is in relation to the saucer, it's just way too low for the saucer to be an automatic hit. I suppose if you shot the ball at the right speed the thinking would be it kisses the edge of the saucer entry and will spiral into it.... for 2k-10k points.

Even if you get the saucer as the skill shot, it's just not used enough in the game to justify it being there - you're rarely going up into it and don't really reap a lot of points when you do. Had they thought about it more way back when they likely would have axed the mechanism to save money. It would have been more fun to have some button rollovers up there that you could try and hit on launch.

#45 3 years ago

Here is one issue on my galaxy, when I hit the “galaxy” shot, it bobbles around at the top and falls out.

#46 3 years ago

I just picked up a Galaxy a couple days ago and mine does the same thing. I assumed it was just a design issue with how tight that turn is coupled with the speed of the ball. If it's adjustable in some way, hopefully someone can school us!

2 weeks later
#47 3 years ago

Anyone have a pic of the stock spinner? Looking to see what the decal was.

Was it the decal from ipdb or a stock S?

2 weeks later
#48 3 years ago

Where is the best place to buy a repro back glass? Picked up a project machine over the weekend where the glass is shot and has less than 50% of the paint remaining.

#49 3 years ago

Try Mayfair amusements for NOS glass if anyone has it it would be them

#50 3 years ago

I’ve almost pulled the trigger here for my own Galaxy. They look good and easy to communicate with.

http://bgresto.com/?p=268

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 3.00
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 169.00
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Jeffersonville, IN
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 252 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/classic-stern-galaxy-club-from-a-time-before-we-had-guardians?hl=bertodrink1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.