(Topic ID: 214838)

Classic Stern Flipper Issue BIG GAME (what am I missing?)

By too-many-pins

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by frunch
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

Today we started working on a Big Game trying to quickly get it ready to take to the Allentown Show. I set it up - hooked harnesses back up to what looked like a nice set of boards already in the machine and she came to life with very little effort. Than the fun started - I tried playing a game and the flipper fuse blew. After a little looking around I discovered one coil was toast so I replaced coil & sleeve. Now fuse is OK but one flipper still does not work.

This machine has two flippers on each side and the upper flipper works but not the lower flipper on the right side. According to schematic all wires appear to be in correct location and since the one flipper on that side works harness & driver board should be OK. I tried a second replacement coil just in case I grabbed a bad coil and still nothing. I tried jumping one wire at a time from the working flipper to the non working flipper and still nothing. I know it is going to be something "stupid" but I just can't get this fixed quick and I have a dozen machines to check before Allentown so I don't want to waste any more time on it.

Any ideas? THANKS!

#2 6 years ago

Is the secondary switch on the upper flipper closing properly? Try jumpering it shut

#3 6 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

Is the secondary switch on the upper flipper closing properly? Try jumpering it shut

We tried that and I tried jumper wire on everything I could think of. I am an "old school guy" so my son gets upset when I start with the "jumper wire" approach but even using the jumper wire I just could not get any action out of that second flipper. I might try the coil from the working flipper in the non working one "just in case" but I rarely have ever hit a bad coil that looks good let alone two of them in a row.

It "SHOULD" be a simple fix but it just isn't looking that way right now. We walked away from it after about an hour today - hopefully by tomorrow one of us (or someone here) will have an idea we had not thought about today.

THANKS! Keep the ideas coming!

#4 6 years ago

Jumper lower EOS shut? Jumper BLU-W on both coils together and -G- together? Grounded the coil manually?

#5 6 years ago

So how are the flippers wired? Is the second EOS switch that controls the second flipper on the lower flipper?

It sounds like the second EOS switch (normally open) is on the upper flipper.

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from dothedoo:

So how are the flippers wired? Is the second EOS switch that controls the second flipper on the lower flipper?
    It sounds like the second EOS switch (normally open) is on the upper flipper.

Secondary switch on upper flipper enables lower flipper

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

Secondary switch on upper flipper enables lower flipper

Ok, then I would start with the normally open EOS switch on the upper flipper and the EOS switch on the lower flipper. Jumper both of those and see if the flipper works.

#8 6 years ago

Believe it on not we had 3 "bad" used coils in a row. Talk about something that will drive you crazy - grab a part that looks OK and assume it is good then have it mess with you not once but three times. I have had that experience in the past with a bad batch of new parts but all 3 coils I used were from different lots of stuff, different companies, etc. What are the odds?

Anyway - all fixed & playing great now for anyone who wondered about the outcome or who looks to this post for advice in the future.

#9 5 years ago

So it was a bad coil?

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from frunch:

So it was a bad coil?

Actually 3 different bad coils that all tested OK before we installed them with OHM meter test

#11 5 years ago

Good to know, thanks!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/classic-stern-flipper-issue-big-game-what-am-i-missing and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.