(Topic ID: 221201)

Classic Stern (Flight 2000) sound issue...

By SDTMinSTL

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by barakandl
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

I just purchased a Flight 2K. Playtested and thoroughly inspected the game at sellers and all was well.

Moved home, carefully reconnected everything and now I have speech, but no game sound (although there are times, game over for example, when there is a white noise). Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I reseated connectors, checked and double checked all were installed properly and in the correct location, but I failed to get great photos of the SB300 connectors before I left, so there is a remote possibility that something isn't right in that regard. Most are keyed, so it is pretty straight forward. It has an Alltek MPU and LED lamp driver. Game plays just fine, with the exception of the sound issue.

Excuse my ignorance, but I have searched extensively and I can't find much info about troubleshooting this issue and scarce info about even a sound test on classic sterns. This is my first classic Stern, but I am somewhat familiar with classic ballys. I am not incredibly knowledgeable about troubleshooting with a multimeter, although I have one. On classic Ballys I would hit the sound test button but there doesn't seem to be one located anywhere.

#2 5 years ago

Did you unplug any of the connectors on the sound board for transport? I didn't think any were necessary. Can you take pictures of all those connectors to be sure?

Quoted from SDTMinSTL:

On classic Ballys I would hit the sound test button but there doesn't seem to be one located anywhere.

There's no concept of a separate test button on Sterns because Sterns don't have a separate CPU on the sound board like Ballys do. The Stern boards are connected directly to the CPU via the ribbon cables and the CPU handles all the logic for generating sounds itself. Solenoids 20-29 in the solenoid test should be sounds according to the manual

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Did you unplug any of the connectors on the sound board for transport? I didn't think any were necessary. Can you take pictures of all those connectors to be sure?

There's no concept of a separate test button on Sterns because Sterns don't have a separate CPU on the sound board like Ballys do. The Stern boards are connected directly to the CPU via the ribbon cables and the CPU handles all the logic for generating sounds itself. Solenoids 20-29 in the solenoid test should be sounds according to the manual

Thanks for the info re:sound tests, or lack thereof on these Golden Era Stern's.

I took a break and came back with a fresh point of view and realized I foolishly missed the fact that it looks as if the cable connecting the sb300 to the mpu was compromised somehow with a pretty nasty crimp. I ordered a new cable and anticipate that will probably fix it. I'll let you know if it doesn't.

#4 5 years ago

I had no background sound on my project Stern Seawitch last year. Replaced ribbon cables, caps, etc. I was at a loss ---
then did one last check on the board & found a resistor that appeared to have never been soldered on one end from the factory. A quick solder job & my background sound worked!!

#5 5 years ago

Oliver made a nice walk through of the SB300
http://www.pinball4you.ch/okaegi/rep_soundsb300.html

The ribbon connector at MPU J5 can be flaky. Only pins 1 to 32 are used on both the MPU and the sound board, so if you have two 16 pin ribbon justify to pin one (right) on both sides. Pin 1 to pin 1. Pin 17 to pin 17. Pin 32 to pin32... etc

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 125.00
$ 45.00
$ 10.00
Lighting
Yoppsicle
Lighting

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/classic-stern-flight-2000-sound-issue?hl=sdtminstl and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.