Topic Stats

• 239 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 33 minutes ago by cottonm4
  • Topic is favorited by 20 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 126 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Screen Shot 2020-09-18 at 6.40.34 PM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2020-09-18 at 6.41.07 PM (resized).png
fW5DK3k (resized).png
NVRAM_Cheetah.gif
5J5A4838 (resized).JPG
5J5A4842 (resized).JPG
5J5A4832 (resized).JPG
5J5A4831 (resized).JPG
5J5A4830 (resized).JPG
20200712_173129 (resized).jpg
20200712_171802 (resized).jpg
Cheetah info (resized).JPG
Cheetah Info 2 (resized).JPG
Cheetah Info 1 (resized).JPG
stnc_cheetah2 (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2020-07-27 at 9.34.02 PM (resized).png

There are 239 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.
#201 31 days ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

Cheetah Playfield Update.
CPR should get the glory for the progress on this topic. . . but because I've been talking with Stu and I know he is not on Pinside I'll pass on what he told me.
I officially boxed up and shipped my "donor" Cheetah playfield to Mike so that he can make a CAD file and keep the playfield in CPR's archive.
Stu told me they have ordered the wood for a reproduction run. He also mentioned that due to the nonstandard size/widebody status of Cheetah this will likely be a "one and done" reproduction run. If you think you are on the fence the time to order one would be when they are available.
Stu said they have sold seven sets of Cheetah plastics. . . quite a bit off from breaking even but I bet more than they sold of Dragonfist. (Don't quote me on that!).
I have a few more Cheetah surprises, but those will have to wait for future posts. I bet you are on the edge of your seat!

Please buy a bunch of these playfields so big game might get a run too. I have zero clue why they are willing to make this and not Big Game. At worst they would have the same interest level.

#202 31 days ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

CPR would need a playfield good enough to copy the art from (Stu does this in Arizona),

I’ve offered a perfect donor Big Game playfield on multiple occasions and they’ve turned me down. Hopefully this good news on Cheetah will change their mind on Big Game in the future.

#203 31 days ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I’ve offered a perfect donor Big Game playfield on multiple occasions and they’ve turned me down. Hopefully this good news on Cheetah will change their mind on Big Game in the future.

I would be interested in a Big Game playfield. . . and I don't even own the game. I did have a blast playing yours chuckwurt at last years Cle-Pin show.

When I last talked to Stu he did mention that CPR needed to branch out and start remaking new titles now that most of the "common" stuff has been done. I have no pull or influence with CPR but will touch base with him and see what sort of details he can provide on the future of a Big Game remake. Part of it may be Stu's desire to reproduce the artwork -- some of that may rely on his personal preference. I know he mentioned he has been looking for a Nine Ball playfield (I've seriously considered pulling mine from my game to send in) and even had interest in doing a Lighting of all games. Even as an owner of a Lightning I would prefer Big Game be made first.

I checked my tracking number and it seems the donor Cheetah playfield arrived to Mike in Canada earlier this month. I have not heard back from him or Stu so hopefully it is something he can work with.

#204 31 days ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

Part of it may be Stu's desire to reproduce the artwork

Yep. I think this is it really. He harped on the little to no interest in new plastic sets, so that’s why I got confused when you said they are moving forward with Cheetah even though they sold barely any plastic sets for that too. No big deal, I just hope they eventually decide to make Cheetah and Big Game.

I’m very interested in a cheetah PF even though I don’t own it. Haha

#206 31 days ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Yep. I think this is it really. He harped on the little to no interest in new plastic sets, so that’s why I got confused when you said they are moving forward with Cheetah even though they sold barely any plastic sets for that too. No big deal, I just hope they eventually decide to make Cheetah and Big Game.
I’m very interested in a cheetah PF even though I don’t own it. Haha

I wanted to buy a set of Big Game plastics, but mine are in such good shape that I can not justify the purchase. I'm thinking that with the formed guide wires that sit under the plastics and raise them up and away from the play field helps keep them out of danger. The only BG plastic at risk, IMO, is that plastic up by the spinner; The neck likes to break. But other than that, there is just nothing to go bad. There are no plastic inlane guides to break like on Cheetah and F2K.

I'm fixing to take my Cheetah play field to the restore guy so as soon as I get my budget built back up I will be buying a seat of Cheetah plastics.

Big Game appears to be starting to get some action. Maybe things will change.

#207 29 days ago

Looks like we are official next week!

#208 25 days ago

Cheetah breaks on at #94. Good spot for her.

2 weeks later
#209 8 days ago

For the fellow Cheetah Fans out there.

I sent the original playfield that CPR used as an artwork template off to Captain Neo for touchups and clearcoat. Here are a few pictures of the result.

5J5A4838 (resized).JPG

5J5A4830 (resized).JPG5J5A4831 (resized).JPG5J5A4832 (resized).JPG

Neo did great work considering what he had to work with -- I'll be pleased to put this in a game someday.

One of these felines is not like the other. . .

5J5A4842 (resized).JPG

#210 8 days ago

Wow that is a very nice looking Playfield

#211 3 days ago
Quoted from kidchrisso:

Cheetah breaks on at #94. Good spot for her.

Hey all, since it has been a while, I am curious to know how many Cheetah fans are using the prototype roms for sound?

After having a Cheetah with and without, I cannot imagine playing this with production sound. Just completely detracts from the great experience... I also think this would potentially affect the rating score as well, particularly as of the classic sterns, I think the production sound is probably the most shrill.. Just night and day for me.

Thanks-

#212 3 days ago
Quoted from koji:

I am curious to know how many Cheetah fans are using the prototype roms for sound?

I have a blue cabinet Cheetah and have the prototype sound ROMs. I never knew there was a production set of sound ROMs or even a black cabinet version. After hearing the production sounds, I'm glad I have what I have.

#213 3 days ago

I've heard both and I'm ok with my production sounds. I wouldn't mind having the prototype roms as well, but it's not a priority.

Enough of that chatter, what game settings is everyone using?

#214 2 days ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

Enough of that chatter, what game settings is everyone using?

yeah wondering this too - mine came with an Alltek board so I think I am stuck so may look for an old board so I can get a better ROM without the persistent bonus collect on the left.

#215 2 days ago
Quoted from genex:

yeah wondering this too - mine came with an Alltek board so I think I am stuck so may look for an old board so I can get a better ROM without the persistent bonus collect on the left.

If you have to by a board, get a new MPU from Weebly. It will fit right up.

#216 2 days ago

cottonm4 I'm not very technical. So if I get that Weebly do i just remove the existing board and disconnect the plugs and just swap it out? or does it require soldering etc.?

#217 2 days ago

Weebly is a drop in replacement just like alltek. I don’t think you can change the roms in that either.

So I don’t think it will help your situation.

#218 2 days ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Weebly is a drop in replacement just like alltek. I don’t think you can change the roms in that either.
So I don’t think it will help your situation.

It will because Andrew can put the no bonus collect ROM on it if it's not already there. Both sound versions too.

Also there's an open socket you can use for other software as well.

#220 2 days ago

The Weebly board already includes the Cheetah prototype B16 code:
The production code is version B20.

NVRAM_Cheetah.gif

#221 2 days ago

Tourney folks - do you know if that Cheetah Home is what was at like INDISC and other big tournies? It feels like it's a better way to play it. These are notes I had from Ron on Slam Tilt about optimal Cheetah settings. I need to find a manual I can read to see how to adjust these settings once I get the Weebly board.

- set bonus X to reset every ball
- set left main bank to light bonus collect on 2nd set of drops - not 1st
- set grid awards to maintain between balls
- turn off EB and Specials (how many points?)

- set outlane posts all the way up

- make sure upper right sling above sling shot is super sensitive

#222 2 days ago
Quoted from genex:

Tourney folks - do you know if that Cheetah Home is what was at like INDISC and other big tournies? It feels like it's a better way to play it. These are notes I had from Ron on Slam Tilt about optimal Cheetah settings. I need to find a manual I can read to see how to adjust these settings once I get the Weebly board.

I don't remember the details except the INDISC rom was the one where bonus collect is once a game.

I didn't think you could change bonus X reset on Stern?

#223 2 days ago

Special is probably worth 100k

#224 2 days ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

I don't remember the details except the INDISC rom was the one where bonus collect is once a game.
I didn't think you could change bonus X reset on Stern?

It's once a ball for the collect on the custom rom.

Some of the stern games let you reset the bonus x, some carry through, some only lower it when you got 6x or 7x.

#225 2 days ago
Quoted from genex:

Hey Gene....
Switch 31 ON Switch 32 OFF makes special worth 100,000 points
Switch 24 OFF resets bonus multiplier each ball
Switch 23 ON retains 3 bank star awards from ball to ball

#226 2 days ago

How about high scores? Mine is about 2.1 million, no extra balls or specials.

#227 2 days ago
Quoted from slochar:

It's once a ball for the collect on the custom rom.

i do believe there are 2 of the custom ROMs, once with once per game and once per ball,,, now where did I see that?

#228 2 days ago

I still need to get around to trying to merge the tournament adjustments with the prototype sound package.. last time I tried, my emulator puked.. Too many other pin projects, and my Cheetah is waiting for me patiently .

It is an interesting left lane collect exploit. We have some great players in my region. I heard one player was able to exploit the left lane for a 15mill score in a tournament a few years ago.. I always wanted to get him over to try out my set up, as the left lane was quite challenging on my set up.. still, getting a 5+ mill score was pretty achievable with the bonus collect, particularly as the flipper power would often send it up, and then come back down, essentially collecting it twice... but_ it was a error prone shot as well.

On my second Cheetah, with rebuilt assemblies, I have not been able to dial it in yet as I need some PF work still. Regardless, with new flipper mechs, it sends the ball all the way through 98% of the time, so it's a single collect, but very_ easy to hit for my consistently... and of course, it makes it a one shot game once that collect is lit.

I like the risk / reward of saving up the shot for a big collect. At the same time, the dream seems like it would still be to be able to re-light the collect on one of the drop banks somehow.

-------------

#229 2 days ago

I haven't been able to play it enough with the single collect/game or ball option but that def makes the game way more interesting. I think we noticed on mine the half way up the collect and back down would only double collect if it had enough time to count up the whole bonus. So if you had like max bonus at 2X or higher and it went up and down on that switch it'd only count it once since the first bonus collect was still counting up - not sure if that's just my machine or others too but that shot isn't too hard to hit on mine and a persistent bonus collect there is def unbalancing. On the single collect ROMs once you collect it does the bonus stay for when you drain or does it collect it and reset the bonus?

#230 2 days ago

That bonus collect is extremely tough on my game. Cheetah was used two years in a row in the Michigan IFPA State Championships and I think it was only collected a few times by the Rosa's. I'm not sure why it's so difficult. Whether it's the flippers or how the entrance to that shot is on mine, but I definitely like it tough like that. But when you do hit it perfectly, it's like butter.

EDIT: My high score is 5.5M with EBs on.

#231 1 day ago

I own a cheetah and the collect bonus is not an easy shot on mine. I have everything on mine set to conservative except the grid awards. I have extra balls on also . One interesting feature about the extra balls, is if you have same player shoots again lit and get another extra ball, it gives you 100k.
I played the game when it was new, and one of the features that appealed to me was the collect bonus . With the bonus X resetting every ball , it takes a while to build up the bonus to a big award. Plus you are at the mercy of the pops when you do make the collect bonus shot.

I have broken 10m on mine a few times, but its not an easy to do.
Regardless, it is my favorite stern from that era !!

#232 7 hours ago

Wow.. looks like a recent Cheetah sale bumped the Pinside estimated value up a bit. .

Game is definitely getting on the difficult side to find. So few sales data points. Cheetah is my first and favourite game, and the collectibility is a bonus, but that's a bit crazy. Higher production numbers than Quicksilver, but one begins to wonder how many survivors there are.

I was thinking back and recall someone on the east coast that had an open ad to trade Centaur for Cheetah... this was bumped several times.

As many commenters pointed out, the recent Cheetah sale for > 6k was not a perfect restore. It had a clear on it, and the PF was overall very nice, but there were issues IIRC.

I do not know if I could ever sell my Cheetah, still a favourite 'player' machine of mine... at the same time, we are entering fathom valuations, or centaur + $, or 3x nice big games, Quicksilver... it seems a bit crazy. Thoughts?

fW5DK3k (resized).png
#233 5 hours ago
Quoted from koji:

that's a bit crazy

This^^^^

If that estimated value stays like that, then I won't be owning one until I scratch build it myself.

#234 4 hours ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

This^^^^
If that estimated value stays like that, then I won't be owning one until I scratch build it myself.

A player’s condition game sold about 3 months ago through the Pacific Northwest for sale thread offered for $2K. It sold in hours so I suspect that was pretty under market and don’t know what the final price was anyway, but it’s another piece of data. My best guess on pricing is probably $3500 for an average game right now. The Centaur comparison is an interesting one, but I’d also say that it’s a easier game to find. The rarity of Cheetah and the number of folks who want one right now sure drives up the price.

#235 3 hours ago
Quoted from SergioJ:

A player’s condition game sold about 3 months ago through the Pacific Northwest for sale thread offered for $2K. It sold in hours so I suspect that was pretty under market and don’t know what the final price was anyway, but it’s another piece of data. My best guess on pricing is probably $3500 for an average game right now. The Centaur comparison is an interesting one, but I’d also say that it’s a easier game to find. The rarity of Cheetah and the number of folks who want one right now sure drives up the price.

Yeah, 2k is a deal for sure. Where was that? I'm in PNW and typically try to see what is going on

I have been lucky enough to have two Cheetahs. My first I traded about 2 years ago, mine was a rough players condition (nice BG), for a very clean T3 machine.

I was pretty sad losing my Cheetah tho, and a friend found me a local replacement, so I got a second chance you could say.

ATM, I don't think I would part with mine for less than 4.5k.. it would likely need to be a desirable trade of value around there in my favour.

#236 2 hours ago

There's just too many other Bally-Stern-Williams options from this classic era, which are more available & reasonably priced, than to grossly overpay for a Cheetah. At least that's what I tell myself, as much as I'd love to own one.

With an estimate value of $6K+, people are going to want that price for their player condition game with a blown out playfield. No chance I'm diving in on those prices. I think your best chance is to find one hidden away somewhere, but how likely is that?

The fact there was a push to get it listed in the Top 100, now it's suddenly on people's radar when it might not have been before. As well as the fact that CPR playfields are in the pipeline, so that will create ever more attention when they are released. It may be entirely possible that the asking price stays at Quicksilver levels for the long term.

#237 1 hour ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

There's just too many other Bally-Stern-Williams options from this classic era, which are more available & reasonably priced, than to grossly overpay for a Cheetah. At least that's what I tell myself, as much as I'd love to own one.
With an estimate value of $6K+, people are going to want that price for their player condition game with a blown out playfield. No chance I'm diving in on those prices. I think your best chance is to find one hidden away somewhere, but how likely is that?
The fact there was a push to get it listed in the Top 100, now it's suddenly on people's radar when it might not have been before. As well as the fact that CPR playfields are in the pipeline, so that will create ever more attention when they are released. It may be entirely possible that the asking price stays at Quicksilver levels for the long term.

I thought you were getting close to being able to frankenstein one together?

Guess we'll see... but yeah, same dilemma. always SMH. Def. some great games in the era, but paying over 3k even is often not the best value for your pinball dollar :/

#238 49 minutes ago
Quoted from koji:

Higher production numbers than Quicksilver, but one begins to wonder how many survivors there are.

1201 Quicksilvers were produced.

1223 Cheetahs produced.

1223 -1201= 22 more Cheetahs produced. Not enough of a difference to move the needle, IMO.

The pinside numbers are a little higher for Quicksilver, but the numbers for Cheetah are not bad.

And for both pins---how many are left?

A "new" Dragonfist showed up in Germany the other day and a couple of Big Games have been flushed out. Who knows what will pop up next.

Screen Shot 2020-09-18 at 6.40.34 PM (resized).png

Screen Shot 2020-09-18 at 6.41.07 PM (resized).png

#239 33 minutes ago
Quoted from koji:

at the same time, we are entering fathom valuations, or centaur + $, or 3x nice big games, Quicksilver... it seems a bit crazy. Thoughts?

I think some of it, maybe all of it, is being driven by baby boomers, now retired, with some time and money on their hands. What's more, when you pass 50 and 60 and are closing in on the last 10-20 years, and if you want it and can afford it, you might decide you can afford to swing for the fences for the objects of your desire---the hell with the price. That is not me as I have a budget, but I have paid up for what I bought. I have no heirs so why not?

I am probably in a minority, but Fathom does little for me. And Centaur is OK. But I wouldn't chase either of them. I get to play my friend's Alice Cooper, AC-DC, JP, BM66, Deadpool, Beatles, Spiderman, and Kiss-Stern. They are all nice pins and they are tempting, but at the end of the day, I like the action I get from my classic Sterns. Not boring and they always satisfy Pinball Jones.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Siegecraft Electronics
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
Boards
nvram.weebly.com
$ 49.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
$ 7.00
There are 239 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside