(Topic ID: 225397)

Classic Playfield Reproductions Bad Quality??

By Pinterest

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 93 posts
  • 35 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by mrm_4
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Typical CPR Quality?”

• Yes 9 votes
    20%
  • No 18 votes
    41%
  • I buy from Mirco because the quality is better. 17 votes
    39%

(44 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

56F178BD-4FDA-448D-93C6-7DA49FC0A5C8 (resized).png
salt-bae.gif
mpf16 (resized).jpg
IMG_20180806_134152639_HDR (resized).jpg
B0E49E96-C635-4BDB-AACB-9E85910C6586 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0999 (resized).JPG
IMG_1023 - Copy (resized).JPG
IMG_1020 - Copy - Copy (resized).JPG
IMG_1004 - Copy - Copy (resized).JPG
IMG_1021 - Copy - Copy (resized).JPG
IMG_1013 (resized).JPG
IMG_1011 (resized).JPG
IMG_1012 (resized).JPG
IMG_1010 (resized).JPG
IMG_1008 (resized).JPG
IMG_1007 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vid1900.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from KevinCPR:

OK guys, let's just call it official and finally move onto the electron microscope as a standard here...
This has to be the most close-up photo analysis I have ever seen on our playfield inserts, to date. To the point that if CPR is going to be called out, I have to now demand galleries posted of 1-inch inserts as dinner-plate sized pix, of ALL current playfields being sold today. Stern. Jersey Jack. Chicago Gaming. Mirco. All of them.
If you can tell I am a little frustrated, you are correct. Just as much as this first-time customer's feelings after obviously a mismatch to his expectations before buying. So I[m going to bring some facts and perspective to the thread. Let's really talk details here...
I know this playfield, because I graded it. We sell only about 1 TOTAN a week, as things have slowed down on that title after all these years. It is GORGEOUS and very much a virtually flawless playfield. What we're being presented here in these pictures is the typical angled-hard-glare-lights technique to accentuate the near-invisible, literally ink-layer-thick relief in the clearcoat surface. I could do the same thing to every playfield we have ever made in the last 14 years, and every playfield ever made, period. But why would I ? It's something that ALL playfields have, and will always have. I'll refer everyone to vid1900's various comments and threads on this topic all over Pinside. These pix cannot be introduced in this thread as something new, odd, shocking, "dog shit", or poor quality. The playfield is fantastic overall, and I stand by it. Yes, a gold grade is a judgment on overall perfection of the artwork, and how flawless it is. I went over every square inch of this print, and it is indeed flawless. Even the halftones had zero blotchiness or hard-shifts anywhere. Perfect ink gain.
OK, a little physical production lesson:
The insert surface is always 3 mils (per layer of ink) lower than the surrounding artwork. With the layers around an insert being WHITE-WHITE-COLOR-BLACK (4 layers) that means you are at a differential of about 12 mils height difference. When the whole playfield is clearcoated over, the clearcoat (in the beginning) will level-off everything to appear flat. Once the clearcoat is about 1-3 months old, it shrinks to near it's final tightness and levels differently over plastic, ink, and wood. Depends on the heights. But we're talking heights in mere mils at this point - at edges and almost always around inserts as in the above photos. The fact is, tiny height differences underneath the clear DO eventually make their way through to the top. Eventually. So the clearcoat is like a laminate, eventually flexing over the reliefs of the whole surface. No playfield is immune to this, with fresh wood, fresh layered artwork, and several layers of 2PAC clear over top of it.
After 6-8 months, the clear will finally be as hard as it's ever going to be, and as shrunken as it will ever be. For all intents and purposes, it has stopped moving and is "dead". A this point, people have complained over the years of the same similar things: (under harsh angled glare of course) inserts looking like they are in a ring of "sinking" clear, vertical woodgrain patterns/ripples, etc. All of this is absolutely, wholeheartedly normal.
The only way to have glass-flat-forever-perfection is time, and post-work. After 6-8 months, once the clear is completely benign and dead, you can either a) wetsand the entire surface to flat perfection, then machine-polish it back up to perfect gloss using compounds b) sand the entire surface to flat perfection, then shoot another topcoat of clear or two c) both of the above.
We used to have a page on our old web site discussing all of this, with pictures, diagrams, and showing all the supplies, and in what order to use them (we recommended the 3M "Perfect-It" system. Looks like we need to get a similar page added back ASAP, into the new web site. I'll attach a few of the old cross-sectional diagrams below, showing how inserts seat, get printed over, and clearcoated over.
The only friend in perfection like this (if that is what one really wants) is time. Waiting out the production clearcoat, and doing the additional work. Keep in mind, the only way playfields could be sold to the contrary is if we "aged" them on racks, like wine in a wine cellar, for 8 months after the run is complete. Not selling them. Not shipping them. They just sit. THEN we take them all and sand/clearcoat them one last time. That would mean playfields we are shipping now were finished back in February, and CPR would be on this 8-month delay system. Never heard of anybody doing this, nobody does, and we can't start treating playfields like wine vineyards. I think everybody can understand that. When runs are done, they are released and shipped.
To the new customer, who is a first-timer, I would say your email just hasn't been reached yet. Only on tuesday did the newly programmed Contact page on our new site finally get synced to a POP client, which popped out 2 weeks (about 400+ emails) when it opened. We're still getting caught up, I will openly admit. Should be done soon. Remember, direct 1-on-1 communication is admittedly our weakest point. It's one of the things we're working on, and an internal action item from about 6 months ago. Still a lot of work to do. Consolidating everything to one Contact page on the site was just a very recent move that is going to help a lot. One-stop single-box communication. We just need to get through the initial flood, and back to a daily stasis.
If there is something specific I'm not seeing, that is a blemish on this TOTAN... please write into the Contact again. Ask that the details be forwarded to Kevin (they usually are anyway, if there is a quality dispute) and I can get into a PM exchange with pix and such. Since few things get escalated to me, I can easily take it from there.
As for Pinside in general, I make a general call for anybody to post some dinnerplate sized insert pix of Stern, CG, Mirco, and JJ playfields, with hard-glare angled light, so we can all see the clearcoat relief around all the other playfields out there. Would be cool to see the same of aftermarket-pro-cleared specimens as well (ie. do they actually remain glass-perfect-flat forever?) I don't want to be salty, I just want things to be fair. The title of this thread is very damning, and specific. Thousands of people will see it. So I have to ask. We've been at this 14 years. Our current production clearcoats are the best we have ever had, sprayed by a 20-year veteran who did high end cars for over 15 years, in a perfect wetwalled downdraft booth facility. It doesn't get any better than this for "off the gun" clearcoats. Any buffing, rubbing, flattening work (at the end user's discretion) is up to them. On a production level, we can't get into months of clearcoat work on playfield runs, nor the 'aging-wine' process I outlined above. It's just not practical, nor feasible.
If something is particularly odd with this customer's TOTAN, we can certainly exchange it for another. But I've gotta look into this deeper and see what is allegedly an issue, then we can plan where to go from there. If it's these tiny reliefs in the clearcoat around inserts, it's a non-starter.
KEVIN
Classic Playfield Reproductions
http://www.classicplayfields.com[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I read the OP post and was going to post my usual "totally normal" response; but I've done it so many times that I could not even garner up the will to do it again

Even if you wait a year, and then do a new topcoat on a playfield, the expansion and contraction of the wood (wood has a different expansion coefficient than the plastic inserts) can cause tiny rings to telegraph through the clear around the inserts as the seasons change.

If stuff like this bothers you, move to city that has the same temp/humidity all year round. You'll sleep like a baby.

#16 5 years ago

After 40 years and millions of balls, you KNOW this playfield is as **cured** as it's ever going to get, and the wood fibers have become as beaten down as they are ever going to get.

Yet, in a week of high humidity (remember wood is hydroscopic) we can just barely see that the insert edge is telegraphing through the clearcoat.

It's not a defect in any way, and no matter what, it's 10000x better than anything that ever came off the line at Williams.

Click to zoom:

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz (resized).jpgzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz (resized).jpg

#48 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinterest:

Did you look for their phone number on their website? It's not on the main page or on the "contact us" page. What's the number??

Shhhhh.....it's on the playfield box's address label

(just in case you can't find it on the website while it's going through it's teething problems)

#61 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinterest:

For future reference the CPR telephone number is

Please remove that number.

#67 5 years ago
Quoted from mountaingamer:

I guess I’m just clueless.... those inserts look bad to my untrained eye

You are probably not clueless, you just have not seen 100s of CPR playfields at 20x magnification.

Normally when "we" look at playfields, we see them from 24" away, through a sheet of glass, with flashing lights, at a 30* angle, and dim indirect lighting.

If you ask HEP, Kruzman, me or Neo - we would tell you those inserts are run of the mill.

#69 5 years ago
Quoted from cougtv:

Can a moderator please remove my first pic or someone tell me how to do it. I apologize as I did not realize it was on there twice. I can’t figure out how to remove a pic

Hit the "edit" pen below your post.

Hit the "X" icon that will appear above your photo when you hover your cursor over it.

#75 5 years ago
Quoted from timab2000:

Here is what Kevin should have done.
Step 1 Call customer
Step 2 Tell customer the following: This is Keven with CPR, I understand you are not have with the product you purchased from us. What can I do to make it right with you.
Step 3 Work something out with him. If something can not be worked out tell customer to kindly return product and I will refund your money.
Step 4 Don't spend customers money till you know he is satisfied.
Problem solved...

Kev should just sell the playfield to me.

I'll clear it and sell it back to the customer for $1700 with a clearcoat so flat, and so shiny that you could shave in it.

#86 5 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

So now you're ignoring the registration issues too?

Nearly every playfield needs some registration corrections before clearing.

What restorer has not fixed the USA inserts on Space Shuttle, or the bonus triangles on Timewarp or the Fathom star rollover keylines, or the AFM keylines between the pops or.....?

You give me any NOS playfield, I'll find 150 corrections that need to be done

IMG_20180806_134152639_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20180806_134152639_HDR (resized).jpg

You give me any Repro playfield, I'll find 100 corrections that need to be done

mpf16 (resized).jpgmpf16 (resized).jpg

#91 5 years ago

It's just like a few years ago when Microsoft lost many people's emails from Hotmail

Well, it turned out to have 2 causes: Microsoft and Free Email.

So if Microsoft can lose your emails out of the blue, changing from one host to another might even make it more likely for something to go wrong.

You know what they say about those private email servers..... ......sad

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 84.99
$ 4.99
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 119.99
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seward, AK
$ 36.95
$ 9.95
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vid1900.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/classic-playfield-reproductions-bad-quality?tu=vid1900 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.