Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 331 posts
  • 63 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by northvibe
  • Topic is favorited by 133 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20210228_154933 (resized).jpg
    s-l1000 (resized).jpg
    DSC_0108 (resized).JPG
    20180220_182037[1] (resized).jpg
    20180220_182159[1] (resized).jpg
    MB-07-021 (resized).JPG
    MA-07-020 (resized).JPG
    MB-07-020 (resized).JPG
    MB-09_photo_3_(resized).JPG
    MB-09_photo_2_(resized).JPG
    MB-09_photo_1_(resized).JPG
    MB-09_Proto_(resized).JPG
    MB-08-010_(resized).JPG
    6_(resized).jpg
    5_(resized).jpg
    4_(resized).jpg

There are 331 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 7.
    #51 7 years ago

Fall season is upon us, and I'm feeling generous.

Until the end of 2014, I'll be doing bulk pricing on these.
    4 for the price of 3, 7 for the price of 5, 15 for the price of 10.

Applies on bare boards, DIY kits, and assembled sets.

PM or e-mail me to take advantage of it, until I can get the cart set up to recognize this.

(Also did a permanent $15 price drop on the Williams Bench Displays for 6-7 digit machines, that's already live on the website)

-Hans

#52 7 years ago
    Quoted from acebathound:

Looks like the Aux Lamp Drivers use primarily [perhaps exclusively judging from the schematic] MCR106-1 whereas the regular Lamp Driver Boards use a combination of MCR106-1 (multiple lamps) and 2N5060 (single lamps). Maybe the MCR106-1 doesn't experience the same issues with needing the additional load resistor to prevent flickering as the 2N5060's. Or probably the more likely scenario, if the MCR106's are there to drive multiple lamps, then even with LEDs they are then adding more load than a single LED would and preventing flicker because of that additional load. So we'll go with that for now

Not to throw a monkey wrench into this, but I put 4 LEDs in one of my Sterns (no Aux lamp driver) and they behave like incandescents until a certain number of playfield lights are lit, like 20 or so, then they begin to flicker and get worse as more bulbs are lit.

#53 7 years ago
    Quoted from dothedoo:

Not to throw a monkey wrench into this, but I put 4 LEDs in one of my Sterns (no Aux lamp driver) and they behave like incandescents until a certain number of playfield lights are lit, like 20 or so, then they begin to flicker and get worse as more bulbs are lit.

Wait, you're seeing this WITH my adapters, or without?

Edit;
    Got confirmation on this, it was without adapters installed yet.
    Had to make sure.

-Hans

#54 7 years ago

Yes sorry for the confusion, this is with the factory configuration.

1 week later
    #55 6 years ago

Ok, so I installed a set of adapters in the aforementioned Stern tonight and I am happy to say they work perfectly! So far I only have 4 Comet LEDs in it and I bought a pink Cointaker at Expo for a severely faded insert, but now I can replace more lamps in the game.

Before the adapters, the Comets would behave normally when very few lamps were lit. As more lamps were lit they would start to flicker and get worse with each additional lamp lit. The Cointaker flickered badly right off the bat and the number of lit lamps made no difference. With the adapters, all LEDs are solid all the time. Yeah!

The only problem I have with the kit is the lamp buss connector for J1 sits right on top of the mounting screw on the Stern LDA-100 board. If I hadn't noticed this before powering up it would have shorted and blown the fuse. Maybe this connector could be relocated in future designs.

Hans, great job on these adapters! I will be ordering more to use in all of my classic Bally and Stern machines.

#56 6 years ago

Ordering the stern compatible connectors today, should have those sets available in about a week.

#57 6 years ago

Sounds good Hans. I will order some of those and use the kits I have now in my Ballys.

#58 6 years ago
    Quoted from dothedoo:

The only problem I have with the kit is the lamp buss connector for J1 sits right on top of the mounting screw on the Stern LDA-100 board. If I hadn't noticed this before powering up it would have shorted and blown the fuse.

You can use a nylon screw as long as the rest of them are metal for grounding.

#59 6 years ago

Sounds like Hans has new boards coming which addresses this. I new these didn't fit 'all variations' of the LDA-100, but I thought the issue was not enough space between the headers, not a possible short to ground. My fault for not reading his description thoroughly since my version is on his 'does not fit' list and I certainly could have just thrown a Bally LDB in there instead. Anyway, I just removed the screw and left the one in the other corner that is not in danger of shorting and all is good.

#60 6 years ago

Bare boards will be the same, but will use different connectors to give standoff distance. If I sell out and do another board run, I will probably just make it standard. Just one of those quirks that come up when things are in the field that don't always get caught in development.

1 week later
    #61 6 years ago

I ordered some DIY kits and assembled a couple this afternoon. Here is what the classic Stern set looks like:

IMG_20141101_195827.jpgIMG_20141101_195911.jpg

#62 6 years ago

Yep, first sets of the Stern are in the wild, just haven't had a chance yet to put them on the website.
    They ARE available though. Hoping to get the site updated tomorrow.

Went with right angle male connectors as I don't have exact measurements for vertical clearance, and didn't want to risk the extra height bumping into a display or the light board.

-Hans

#63 6 years ago

Stern styles are up and listed now for both assembled sets and kits.

The Stern type will actually work for all generations of machines, but if you know it's going into a Bally machine, please buy them up first so I can clear out those connectors. Next run will be universal.

3 weeks later
    #64 6 years ago

Since the whole holiday shopping season is about it hit, I'm just re-posting this to keep it on the active page.

Until the end of 2014, I'll be doing bulk pricing on these.
    4 for the price of 3, 7 for the price of 5, 15 for the price of 10.

Applies on bare boards, DIY kits, and assembled sets. PM or e-mail me to take advantage of it.

Good for either style kit, Bally or Stern. There may be some shipping delays, at times I have trouble keeping up with assembling these if a big order comes in. Only able to keep a couple of each style at most assembled at any given time.

-Hans

#66 6 years ago

And on sale too

#67 6 years ago

Yep, on sale for $30 per set through December 1st, part of my Black Friday sale package.

Having trouble keeping up this week, sale has been very successful so far, so I just had to order a heap of parts for these and other things. So it's basically from the soldering iron to the mailbox right now on these.

-Hans

1 week later
    #68 6 years ago

just installed a stern set on my F2K and a bally set on my FG. These boards are awesome, took about 30 mins to do both machines and now they look incredible without flickering inserts! Thanks Hans for making these so easy to install and at a great price! Thanks to Vid for the step by step tips!

#69 6 years ago

Yes thanks Hans! Got my Stern sets the other day as well as a bunch of Comet LEDs. I think it's about time to have some fun!

1 week later
    #70 6 years ago

Thanks Hans for the nice boards for Seawitch.
    Thanks Vid1900 for the nice step by step set up.
    Its works perfect!

#71 6 years ago

Glad to be of service!

Only one week left to take advantage of the bulk deal, 4 for the price of 3, 7 for the price of 5, 15 for the price of 10. Have enough boards for 35 more sets right now, definitely been selling very well for me. PM or e-mail me to take advantage of the deal.

Out of curiosity, how are you guys doing with the length of wire I'm including? Am I including too little? too much? I go through a LOT of 22 gauge wire and am trying to better target how much I'm including.

-Hans

#72 6 years ago
    Quoted from HHaase:

Glad to be of service!
    Only one week left to take advantage of the bulk deal, 4 for the price of 3, 7 for the price of 5, 15 for the price of 10. Have enough boards for 35 more sets right now, definitely been selling very well for me. PM or e-mail me to take advantage of the deal.
    Out of curiosity, how are you guys doing with the length of wire I'm including? Am I including too little? too much? I go through a LOT of 22 gauge wire and am trying to better target how much I'm including.
    -Hans

I had about 8-10 inches of wire left and I daisey chained them as Vid described.

#73 6 years ago

Salut,

I'm really happy with the boards.
    Although a short description for the assembly of the kits would be helpful (Fortunately Vid has opened this thread with the pictures).
    The length of the wire should not be shorter, as it depends on the pinball where you could connect it on the door (it is not always on the inner side of the door).

Cheers,
    flugs

#74 6 years ago

If I understand correctly, this does not work for lamps controlled through the aux lamp board, say in Flash Gordon or Centaur?

If this is the case, what is done for the applicable bulbs on these games?

edit: answered my question by searching for "aux" on page 1... bottom line this appears to be a non issue!

#75 6 years ago

I had about 6 or 8 inches of wire left. I also daisy chained them together. I, too, was mildly surprised the kit did not come with any instructions (especially with the DIY kits). I think I made one tiny mistake, but it was quickly resolved. It probably would have been avoided if the kit had come with basic assembly instructions. Just my 2 cents. Otherwise, it is a great product and HIGHLY recommended.

#76 6 years ago

Instructions should be coming soon, just been absolutely swamped the past couple months. Hoping to get them made up during the next week or two. To be honest, I've been so worn out I have basically been running on autopilot and it completely slipped my mind.

If you guys are finishing with 6-8" of wire left, I won't change it. Gives some room for error, and I would prefer supplying a bit too much than coming up a mm short.

#77 6 years ago
    Quoted from HHaase:

Glad to be of service!
    -Hans

Thought I'd take advantage of the 7 for 5 price and place an order. Added to the cart and went to checkout, unfortunately the discount wasn't applied. Am I missing something? I viewed the site via mobile device if that matters?

#78 6 years ago

It's a pinside only offer, either PM or e-mail me and I can get it set up for you

#79 6 years ago

Just a couple days left on the sale....

#80 6 years ago

I had about 8 inches or so of wire left also.

#81 6 years ago

Hans, Thanks.....Bought 7 sets.....Love the LED's in the translucent inserts.

#82 6 years ago

Fantastic thread, placing my order for the boards now

#83 6 years ago

Happy New Year
    Just curious but do I require these boards for a newer pin like a 2007 Stern Indiana Jones?

#84 6 years ago

No, these only work for early 'classic' sterns from the 70's and early 80's, based on early Bally designs.
    Modern sega/stern designs are completely different.

#85 6 years ago

Now down to 11 Bally and 6 Stern style sets on the initial run. I'm very thankful to all of you who have bought these, and am starting to plan on updates/changes to the second run. Now would be the perfect time to ask you guys for suggestions and requests for things you'd like updated.

Here's my list of things that I plan on doing already....
    Make some proper instructions.
    Have the keying pins pre-cut.
    Cleaning up the silkscreen.
    Take off the 2nd power header on the 23 pin board.

Anything else you guys would like to see?

-Hans

#86 6 years ago

I'd like to thank Hans for his great product and service.

I ordered around Xmas day and within a week I had 4 sets down in New Zealand.

Product works great and I had it set up and wired in 15 mins thanks to Vids instructions.

Recommended.

rd.

5 months later
    #87 6 years ago

I just set these to clearance pricing of $30 per set until I am out of stock. I need to get rid of the last parts in the first batch, so I can start working on the Rev2 run. This is the last time I will be offering them at this price.

-Hans

#88 6 years ago

shut up and take my money...lol.
    im in, how do i buy?

edit - just saw link pg1, ordered!

#89 6 years ago

Just ordered three kits!

Thanks!

3 weeks later
    #90 6 years ago

Next run of boards just arrived today, parts will be here in about a week. So I'll open up for orders once the parts arrive.
    MSRP is not changing, still $45 per set.

-Hans

2 weeks later
    #91 6 years ago

Been unbelievably busy the past few weeks, and had to finish up a wholesale order first. Just a few more days and I'll have these up for sale again.

-Hans

1 week later
    #92 6 years ago

All the parts are here, one last minute change I want to make is pre-assembled wiring harnesses.
    If somebody could give me the external dimensions of a lamp driver board, I'd be quite grateful.
    I oddly enough don't have one here right now.

#93 6 years ago

10 3/8 x 9 1/2

#94 6 years ago

2dn that.

10 3/8" W x 9 1/2" H

#95 6 years ago

Much thanks.

My wrist already hurts from all the crimping. I need a flywheel press.
    Maybe next year.

#96 6 years ago

You are working on REV 2 correct? I like the first ones a lot. Please make sure i'm on your list for a few of these as well.

Thanks!

#97 6 years ago

Yep, these are the Rev 2's. All of them will have the Stern style connectors, so universal compatibility. A lot of cleaned up silkscreening, as I really goofed up markigns on the first batch. Pre-cut keying pins. Pre-assembled harness. And Instructions!!!!!!

I just need to fulfill an open purchase order on them before I can start the general sale on my site.

-Hans

#98 6 years ago

Ok, one last question for the night. I just want to really make sure I get these things right for all of you.....

From the 23 pin board, to the power tap.....
    Would you guys want 18" of wire? or 24"?

#99 6 years ago

Having an extra 6" of wire would be welcome, although I can't think of any game off the top of my head that requires it.

#100 6 years ago

New versions will be going live on the website some time this weekend, still struggling to keep up with a backlog of things to assemble, I'm pretty much building to keep up with orders. So they might be a touch slow to ship.

MB-07-011.jpg

Edit:
    Up on the website now. Assembly instructions are there for download too. (Found that feature today in the shopping cart)
    http://www.siegecraft.us/presta/index.php?id_product=44&controller=product&id_lang=1

There are 331 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 7.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside