1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by barakandl
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 1 year ago

I no longer have this board in my possession. I worked on it and it was sold. The buyer contacted me and said it made the sound too loud. (A different mpu didn't do this). To enhance my knowledge, anybody have some ideas as to why this would happen. Thanks.

#2 1 year ago

I am pretty sure that classic Bally sound volume is not controlled by MPU.

#3 1 year ago

It looks like there were eight different sound boards for bally pinballs, including the squawk and talk, vocalizer, say it again, cheap squeak, etc.

What game is he working on? More importantly, which sound board is he using?

I recently was working on the AS-2518-50 sound board for a Harlem Globetrotters, and was surprised to find that in addition to the 'play sound #1', 'play sound #7' lines, the board depended upon a basic tone pulse from the CPU. It made me wonder if the basic clock speed of the MPU were different, if it wouldn't affect the tones.

That having been said, the AS-2518-50 has two potentiometers, one for volume, one for sustain. These pots are notorious for having dead spots and they need to be replaced whenever you find the originals still on the board. Otherwise even microscopic vibrations can cause the volume and sustain to vary, seemingly by itself.

Anyway, we would have to know what sound board is involved before we could comment on what might be causing a difference in volume.

#4 1 year ago

Okay, I have to ask, did he try turning to volume down?

#5 1 year ago

It was a while ago. Not sure what he was working on. Possibly EBD. I couldn't find our conversation on messenger. Oh well. It's old news now. Thanks.

#6 1 year ago

Sound too loud, now that's a new one. Definitely would help to know the game or if the buyer knew how to adjust it.

#7 1 year ago

The squawk and talk volume can be controlled by the MPU. It is almost never jumped to do so, but I've seen this in maybe one of the very late Bally -35 games.

Have them step through audits and change all audits past 15 to "03". You can look in the manual for what exact audits do the vol control, I think it is the last two.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/classic-bally-mpu-makes-sound-too-loud and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.